"Accrediting bodies attest to the quality of the education, not legalize, authorize, nor award degree-granting status."
In the U.S., this is false. It is common for less-than-wonderful schools and their shills to use this dodge. Technically correct (in that it is the states who license schools), but the reality is that recognized accreditation determines what is and is not a recognized degree-granting institution.
At no point have I made any comments about EIU's quality of instruction, processes, prices, etc. I am merely pointing out that the degrees it issues will not stand up to scrutiny in ANY situation where the person making the decision is discerning.
Accreditation is the de facto process for recognizing degree-granting legitimacy in the U.S., even if the legal right to do so is derived from state governments. Since the 1970s, less-than-wonderful schools have been using this "it's legal" dodge. Just because it works for some people in some situtations doesn't make it either right or a good idea.
As for Thailand, it looks like they're partnering with ASIC to bolster their own oversight capabilities, but that's not the same as ASIC accreditation granting recognition to universities. I never said ASIC wasn't good at what they do, and I guess Thailand wanted their help.
The bottom line is that EIU is not a recognized university and will be deemed as such in the vast majority of situations where such a determination is made. We've seen the narrow exception with IEE, and that's about it.
In the U.S., this is false. It is common for less-than-wonderful schools and their shills to use this dodge. Technically correct (in that it is the states who license schools), but the reality is that recognized accreditation determines what is and is not a recognized degree-granting institution.
At no point have I made any comments about EIU's quality of instruction, processes, prices, etc. I am merely pointing out that the degrees it issues will not stand up to scrutiny in ANY situation where the person making the decision is discerning.
(07-21-2026, 09:20 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:(07-21-2026, 12:59 AM)Sagan Wrote: No trouble with ASIC, but "accreditation" means something entirely different in the U.S.
Please name a country where ASIC accrediatation grants institutional recognition as a degree-granting institution.
That's a little unfair, since even in the US third party accreditors don't grant institutional recognition as a degree-granting institution per se.
But if I were to answer the spirit of the question rather than its letter, I suppose I'd say Thailand:
https://www.asic.org.uk/news/onesqa-asic...urance-mou
Accreditation is the de facto process for recognizing degree-granting legitimacy in the U.S., even if the legal right to do so is derived from state governments. Since the 1970s, less-than-wonderful schools have been using this "it's legal" dodge. Just because it works for some people in some situtations doesn't make it either right or a good idea.
As for Thailand, it looks like they're partnering with ASIC to bolster their own oversight capabilities, but that's not the same as ASIC accreditation granting recognition to universities. I never said ASIC wasn't good at what they do, and I guess Thailand wanted their help.
The bottom line is that EIU is not a recognized university and will be deemed as such in the vast majority of situations where such a determination is made. We've seen the narrow exception with IEE, and that's about it.
Doctorate in something
Doctorate in something else
MBA
BS in something
BA in something else
Doctorate in something else
MBA
BS in something
BA in something else


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)