01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
peace123 Wrote:I am going to add my 2 cents to this discussion.
As chance would have it I was lucky enough to be studying the civil war prior to the elections. This was an eye opening experience to me and I feel it gave me a better understanding of our history.
Additionally I noticed ( this may just be my own warped view) a similarity in divisions during our current time and during the civil war times.
During the civil war times there was a great divide between those who were fighting for states rights and those who were fighting to protect the union.
This divide was based on both social, cultural and economic differences , with both sides trying to protect their cultures and values.
During the current election I saw the divide that is currently in our country, it seems in my opinion to be about those who are ruled by Evangelical Christian values and those who are not ruled by them. Again this could just be my odd take on things but I really feel this was dividing the country in two. And like in the past these differences are based on social, cultural and economic differences.
Since this forum is just a small slice of the larger pie called America, I am not surprised to see these differences displayed here.
I also have to wonder if this divide is eventually going to grow into another "civil war" or if we are going to find a way to live together peacefully.
Peace123
I think that the union is on very shaky ground right now and I concur with your observations. The main difference between pre civil war and right now is the issue of slavery. I think the issue of upholding the Constitution could be the one to rip us apart. The links below will take you to the constitutional convention issue with the second link the actual bill that was introduced last month in Ohio.
Chuck Baldwin -- Virginia State Takes Con Con Stage.
S. J. R. No. 9**As Introduced

![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)