01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM by cookderosa.)
KyleH Wrote:So,
I have to decide (rather soon) between double majoring in History and Political Science at TESC or just getting a history degree. If I just go with History, I'll use Fema for free electives and save even more time and money than I'm already saving. Do employers even care about the double major? Will poli sci even help me with just a BA? It typically requires a PhD to be worth anything, right? I'm sort of desperate for answers and it kind of feels like there aren't any, so anything anybody can say will help.
Check the box, get to grad school this fall. 6 months and $1500 is crazy if you plan on getting a masters or phd, this is money and time into a black hole. I can't imagine a scenario where having a BA in political science and history is any more useful than having a BA in underwater basket weaving with a MA in history or political science.
In other words- liberal arts fields ALWAYS value higher education. We are not talking about career training, accounting, secondary education, business, science, etc. We are talking about social science. NOT the same as the previously mentioned examples. Think of it as having a double major high school diploma and then going on to earn a college degree. Interesting, but not especially relevant.*I challenge the suggestion that the reason not to get a double major is laziness or money, that's absurd. But, that's for another thread.
I can connect you with someone who is finishing up a double major MASTERS in history and poli sci from WESTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY It's the least expensive option for that degree in the country. He is a high school social science teacher but just landed a job teaching at the community college. A PhD is another animal- so if you are thinking of doing a B&M program, I'd contact those programs directly. You may have deficiencies that you need to fill rather than adding more classes that won't count. A PhD online usually asks for a master's, so your goals should be clear to you before you make those decisions. You should start looking at master's degrees and get through your undergrad as fast / cheap as possible.
I second the suggestion of checking out the forum at Degree info for grad school help.

![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)