Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
All Sophia Courses Free as of today - 3-19-20!
#41
I took College Algebra on Straighterline. So striking off English Composition, College Algebra and Statistics , I got plenty of courses left.
Can you elaborate why TESU won't take those 3 ? Sophia lists that they accept those; https://tesu.sophia.org/#courses
Reply
#42
(03-21-2020, 08:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Because Sophia.org courses are ACE recommended for credit, I think COSC would accept Public Speaking for the Oral Communication requirement, it's just that their transfer equivalency page hasn't been updated for a while now.

In regards to the Foundation courses, I am not referring to the 1 credit Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, and Student Success.  I am referring to the 3 Foundations in English Composition, College Algebra, Statistics - these are NOT going to come into COSC/TESU as they are developmental/vocational level courses.  

If someone would like to take them, it will show up in the academic evaluation/transcript in the other field, with a notation DEV (designating it as Developmental). These would be great preview/refresher courses though and if the person is going to EC Excelsior, these come in as LL free electives, it would be perfect for the EC BALS.

Are you saying that TESU won't accept College Algebra and Stats from Sophia? I found both courses here so I'm wondering. Also, will TESU take Conflict Resolution (3 cr) normally?
Reply
#43
(03-22-2020, 12:02 AM)romoh Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 08:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Because Sophia.org courses are ACE recommended for credit, I think COSC would accept Public Speaking for the Oral Communication requirement, it's just that their transfer equivalency page hasn't been updated for a while now.

In regards to the Foundation courses, I am not referring to the 1 credit Developing Effective Teams, Essentials of Managing Conflict, and Student Success.  I am referring to the 3 Foundations in English Composition, College Algebra, Statistics - these are NOT going to come into COSC/TESU as they are developmental/vocational level courses.  

If someone would like to take them, it will show up in the academic evaluation/transcript in the other field, with a notation DEV (designating it as Developmental). These would be great preview/refresher courses though and if the person is going to EC Excelsior, these come in as LL free electives, it would be perfect for the EC BALS.

Are you saying that TESU won't accept College Algebra and Stats from Sophia? I found both courses here so I'm wondering. Also, will TESU take Conflict Resolution (3 cr) normally?
TESU doesnt take the foundation in stats or algebra courses. They will transfer in the college algebra and intro to stats.


(03-21-2020, 11:47 PM)shamin Wrote: I took College Algebra on Straighterline. So striking off English Composition, College Algebra and Statistics , I got plenty of courses left.
Can you elaborate why TESU won't take those 3 ? Sophia lists that they accept those;   https://tesu.sophia.org/#courses

TESU will take those courses. They wont take the foundations version of those courses.
Reply
#44
That's right, COSC or TESU doesn't take any foundation courses, such as the 3 I mentioned earlier. You should only view the tesu.sophia.org webpage to see if courses are transferring to TESU, on that page you won't be able to get the courses for free either! As I mentioned on one of my earlier posts, this freebie only works under a generic account or under Capella & Strayer.

So, basically, when you view http://www.sophia.org and go down the list of courses, you'll see the 3 foundation courses I am referring to - COSC/TESU will not accept them, as they are developmental/vocational, but others schools such as Excelsior will take them as free electives. Furthermore, you can see under this list on the front page, the courses are all free whereas if you're on tesu.sophia.org, the courses are $329.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3RTJ3I9
UPI Study https://www.upistudy.com/?ref=f6bc41

Pre-Med Online, MSc Biomedical Sciences (Starting Jan 2026)
In Progress: UoPeople BS Health Science

Completed: UMPI BAS & MAOL (2025)
TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Reply
#45
This really is unbelievable. Seems too good to be true, but somehow it isn't.

I don't need any of these, but I'm going to take some anyway. It's a terrible idea, I'm way busy with work and grad school, but I can't pass it up. And since I've only taken the free 1 cr courses from Sophia in the past, it'll give me a good picture of what a full course looks like. Maybe it'll make it easier to justify recommending them and their normally high cost in the future.

I know other providers aren't likely to follow suit, but what a great trend to start if they did.

(Maybe I could go for a third bachelors at that point  Tongue )
Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Western Governors University
MBA IT Management, 2026
BS IT Security, 2018

Northwestern California University School of Law
1L 20cr completed, withdrew from school, 2023-24

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 87
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Reply
#46
(03-22-2020, 01:50 AM)jsd Wrote: This really is unbelievable. Seems too good to be true, but somehow it isn't.

I don't need any of these, but I'm going to take some anyway. It's a terrible idea, I'm way busy with work and grad school, but I can't pass it up. And since I've only taken the free 1 cr courses from Sophia in the past, it'll give me a good picture of what a full course looks like. Maybe it'll make it easier to justify recommending them and their normally high cost in the future.

I know other providers aren't likely to follow suit, but what a great trend to start if they did.

(Maybe I could go for a third bachelors at that point  Tongue )

I've been trying to come up with a good reason to take some of them myself. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to pursue another bachelor's degree, they don't offer any of the courses I'd need that I don't already have.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Reply
#47
(03-21-2020, 10:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
CarpeDiem8 Wrote:Does anyone have any insight on how generous WGU is with Sophia.org? Unfortunately, our enrollment advisor couldn't say yes or no and there's no partner list like they have for SDC/SL.

Thanks!

Hey, you might want to take a look at their page, WGU is in fact on their list.  I missed this one part in a previous thread, you just need to email Sophia.org to see which courses transfer as WGU doesn't have a transfer list on their site and Sophia.org didn't create one on their site either. 

Thank you!!!!!! I emailed them now and will report back!

Smile
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Reply
#48
(03-21-2020, 06:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Even though it's not used for my BACS degree plan, I love learning new things... so, I start 1 course and changed the rest to start 3 months later.  After I am done with one course, I'll start changing the dates again to further down the road until I get all 8-9 done for credit banking in ACE.

How did you do that??
If I register for one course and set a later start date for a 2nd course it does not appear to save. If I close and reopen the 2nd course still shows a start date of today.

I tried setting several courses and save a later start date of June 1 it does not save or show up in dashboard, back to today's date.
Reply
#49
(03-22-2020, 10:26 AM)graduatesoon Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 06:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Even though it's not used for my BACS degree plan, I love learning new things... so, I start 1 course and changed the rest to start 3 months later.  After I am done with one course, I'll start changing the dates again to further down the road until I get all 8-9 done for credit banking in ACE.

How did you do that??
If I register for one course and set a later start date for a 2nd course it does not appear to save. If I close and reopen the 2nd course still shows a start date of today.

I tried setting several courses and save a later start date of June 1 it does not save or show up in dashboard, back to today's date.

After some time elapses, the calendar will progressively move forward so you can change it. 

I continually need a completely flexible schedule so I have absolutely LOVED Sophia and have done as many of my GE requirements through them!!! Love the flexibility, love the interface, everything!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
[-] The following 1 user Likes CarpeDiem8's post:
  • harrypotter
Reply
#50
(03-22-2020, 10:26 AM)graduatesoon Wrote: How did you do that??
If I register for one course and set a later start date for a 2nd course it does not appear to save. If I close and reopen the 2nd course still shows a start date of today.

I tried setting several courses and save a later start date of June 1 it does not save or show up in dashboard, back to today's date.

I registered for all same start date. Then after registration was done, went back and manually changed it. I had the same issue trying to set it at registration but it was a quick work around. Then, later on, started earlier than I thought I would.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WARNING: Don't try and cheat on Sophia, they are suspending lots of accounts! LevelUP 26 10,214 09-25-2026, 08:16 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
Lightbulb New courses on Sophia daydream 3 887 08-18-2026, 08:18 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Sophia.org Membership Code - Recent bjcheung77 308 256,101 07-01-2026, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Bcopeland64
  New Sophia Courses Physics, Principles of Leadership, Digital Literacy, Intro to Ed LevelUP 5 1,201 07-01-2026, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  List of Coursera Courses expiring on 09/30/2026 LevelUP 0 815 06-28-2026, 10:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ENG COMP I & II - SDC, SL or Sophia any4yeardegree 19 3,427 06-01-2026, 07:47 PM
Last Post: myriam555
Smile Credit Calculus / Statistics Courses Bcopeland64 6 1,455 05-11-2026, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Bcopeland64
  PCC "Free" Credits - A Slight Increase MEarlBITW 12 3,351 04-26-2026, 10:22 AM
Last Post: MEarlBITW
  Questions about SDC, Straighterline & Sophia VanillaBean 2 1,305 04-04-2026, 04:23 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Sophia Course Medical Terminology Jonathan Whatley 9 3,529 03-27-2026, 11:50 PM
Last Post: bluebooger

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)