Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams
Leherself Wrote:I don't think they're being miscategorized - if this is how the VA has authorized them to submit their enrollment, then that's how it is. If Excelsior was falsifying their enrollment certifications, I imagine that *they* would be on the hook for it, not the students.

I highly doubt the govt will ask excelsior for reimbursement. I don't think Excelsior is falsifying anything, rather, something is getting mistranslated somewhere. All you need is ONE zealous new VA auditor looking to catch SOMETHING for their performance review. If they do, this will be seen as NOT fraud, but an administrative error. And administrative errors are corrected by placing things BACK the way they where before the mistake, so this could easily end up with you being provided a bill for overpayment. It can also be considered fraudulent on your part if you know that you are taking distance courses, but are being paid as you are taking butt in seat classes.

I knew a guy who was a little late in reporting his address change for BAH in the military. Not only did the govt get their money back, but charged him with a UCMJ violation for fraud. I know you're a veteran now and the UCMJ won't touch you, but this is just an example of how these things play out.

I'm not judging you in any way. I am merely trying to advise you to proactively SEEK clarification before the payback amount gets prohibitively large. This may be EXACTLY the way it was supposed to work and you can breathe easy and enjoy the extra cash. Being in the military and working in Federal agencies, I know how they work, and trust me, this will be on YOU to pay back, because the only one receiving a windfall is you. I'll take the $700+ bucks distance rate over the $2000 plus rate if I know it won't bite me in the rear later. Consider my advise with a grain of salt and do as you see fit.

Regardless, thank you for your service and I wish you luck in your education endeavors.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Messages In This Thread
Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams - by Prloko - 04-08-2015, 03:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,466 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,668 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 2,050 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 26,766 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,376 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
  Free Challenge Exams? Marcus Aurelius 4 2,994 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rach03
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 9,036 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU MNomadic 13 9,705 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,299 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Anyone do the Naval War College MA in Security Studies? johnw 0 2,326 01-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnw