Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 year vs 2 year masters
So

I've been doing digging for jobs.

In Tennessee, they ask if you have a 1 year or 2 year Masters.

Why and why does it matter?

.jpg   what is.JPG (Size: 25.43 KB / Downloads: 27)
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Maybe a poor choice of words. Perhaps they mean the difference between a professional master's that requires relevant work experience for admission as opposed to more traditional programs? Either way, kind of a shady question.
(01-20-2018, 01:29 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: So

I've been doing digging for jobs.

In Tennessee, they ask if you have a 1 year or 2 year Masters.

Why and why does it matter?

"They" ask? Meaning you're seeing this on more than one company's job board? Strange question. That's not really a thing.
I lived in the Nashville area for over six years (just recently moved away though). I've never heard of anyone asking about a one or two-year master's.
The bigger worry here is the request for the three or four-year masters!!!!

Perhaps, this company value's a program of longer length based off of poor experiences with candidates coming from programs under two years. This would fall in along the lines of a company requesting a traditional brick-and-mortar master over an online master. This request is not one that I have seen but would not be the wildest position for a company to take.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
You say "In Tennessee" like every company in TN is asking this. Is this more than one company that's asking?

Just as an aside, what if you do an 18-mo masters? Or something other than 12 months or 24 months? That is just a WEIRD question.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've never seen that. Maybe they want to know if you have an actual Master's degree or a certificate? But time isn't really a good criteria. One can work full-time and take just one course per term and take a lot longer than two years or do an online program and get through it in six months to a year.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(01-20-2018, 06:45 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: The bigger worry here is the request for the three or four-year masters!!!!

Perhaps, this company value's a program of longer length based off of poor experiences with candidates coming from programs under two years. This would fall in along the lines of a company requesting a traditional brick-and-mortar master over an online master. This request is not one that I have seen but would not be the wildest position for a company to take.

But the "time to complete" isn't really a thing. For instance, if a company asks for a "4 year degree" they don't mean a degree that took you 1460 days- they mean a bachelor's degree. A master's degree can be taken at full or part time speed, the length to complete wouldn't change that it's a master's any more than doing a bachelor's in 2 years is "less."
Whoever wrote the ad is uninformed - I'd probably not apply if this is a small company - red flag. If it's a very large company, you just have to get past HR.
(01-20-2018, 11:51 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Whoever wrote the ad is uninformed 

I agree.  There is no 1-yr masters or 2-yr masters, there's just a Master's degree.  You either completed the coursework or you didn't.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
What if you're Felix Wong, 4 month MBA? Smile
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • RANSOMSOUL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 18,720 Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 182 04-23-2024, 11:21 AM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 767 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 512 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 729 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 407 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,370 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,154 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,883 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 644 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas