Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 credit TECEP= $25
(08-12-2018, 12:55 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Hypothetical situation: if I graduate with my bs, but before that, I have them add another degree to my plan(that I may or may not plan on completing) I could maintain TESU as a place to keep sending credits(CLEP, Onlinedegree, etc) for up to a year without paying tesu fees? And before the end of that year I could just take a TECEP (such as medical terminology) to maintain TESU as my credit bank for another year?

Yes, I think that you could. You could do it with an associate's, too.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-12-2018, 12:55 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Hypothetical situation: if I graduate with my bs, but before that, I have them add another degree to my plan(that I may or may not plan on completing) I could maintain TESU as a place to keep sending credits(CLEP, Onlinedegree, etc) for up to a year without paying tesu fees? And before the end of that year I could just take a TECEP (such as medical terminology) to maintain TESU as my credit bank for another year?

I thought about that - I wish now I had a place to put any new credits I might get on a real transcript.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-12-2018, 01:16 AM)davewill Wrote:

Can I enroll for the first time at TESU by registering for TECEP's medical terminology or would I need more than a 1 credit TECEP exam in order to gain enrollment status?
GOAL 
University: UMPI
Degree: BLS Project Management
COMPLETED CREDITS 56/120
Rowan College @ BC | English Comp. I (3 cr.)
The Institutes | 312N-H Ethics  (2cr.)
Study.com | Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (3 cr.)
ALEKS | College Algebra (3 cr.)
NFA | Q0118 - Community Safety Educators  (1 cr.)
TEEX | Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301 (6cr.)
Sophia | Principles of Finance, Art History II, U.S. History I, Intro. to Nutrition, Art History 1, Environmental Science, Intro to Web Development, Approaches to Studying Religion, Visual Communications, Intro. To Information Technologies, Intro. to Business, Ancient Greek Philosophy, Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict  (38 cr.)
(09-14-2018, 04:20 PM)ISKBizz15 Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 01:16 AM)davewill Wrote:

Can I enroll for the first time at TESU by registering for TECEP's medical terminology or would I need more than a 1 credit TECEP exam in order to gain enrollment status?

You can enroll by taking this exam.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Can someone explain the details of this strategy? Are you enrolling simply to lock in your catalog year, or are there other benefits? What are the downsides of enrolling "early" (i.e. before you want to actually start taking classes)? What requirements does it impose on you (i.e. it sounded like someone mentioned having to take a class/get some credits once a year)? What are the costs?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Well the costs to maintain enrollment would be paying the $75 application fee and taking at least one course through TESU once a year. That could be a $300 cornerstone, a $75 TECEP or the $25 medical terminology TECEP. Locking in your catalog could be one benefit (though I believe they only make major changes once a year around July) so I don't think you'd have to worry about that for a while. Also, until you're enrolled at tesu, you can't really get much help from their academic advisors to plan out and pre-approve your degree.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Please give me more info about how TECEP exams make enrollment in TESU cheaper and easier? Also, how much is 3 semester hours? I am thinking of taking the College Algebra Exam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • MrsBulletPoints
(09-15-2018, 02:14 AM)Supermind Wrote: Please give me more info about how TECEP exams make enrollment in TESU cheaper and easier? Also, how much is 3 semester hours? I am thinking of taking the College Algebra course.

To officially enroll at TESU you must either sign up and pay for their comprehensive tuition plan ($7,519 or $9,967 per year for up to 36 credits), or register for and take a course under the per-credit tuition plan. On the per-credit tuition plan, each course taken via TESU directly will run you $366 per credit (assuming you're on the Study.com discount, otherwise it is $396 or $499 per credit). So if you take a 3 credit course, that will run you $1,098 per course.

Lower-level TECEP exams are $25 per credit but are mostly treated as if you took the course at the university. So, if you take the TECEP exam for a 3 credit course, you end up paying $75 instead of $1,098.

At $75 for a 3 credit course, that makes lower-level TECEP exams cheaper than taking them via Straighterline or Study.com. However, you have to study for them on your own since TESU doesn't provide materials. They do give you a guide that explains the exam and the study materials they recommend, but it's up to you to use them or not as you wish.

Unfortunately, the upper-level TECEP exams are $75 per credit now, so a 3 credit TECEP exam is $225. That is still a lot cheaper than the regular tuition, but much more expensive than most of the other alternative credit options.

As for semester hours, TESU is on the semester hour system (as opposed to the quarter hour system), so 1 credit is the same as 1 semester hour.

Most of us here on this forum take most of our courses elsewhere and only take the capstone at TESU, so we end up just paying $1,098 for that course. That means we don't enroll until we're almost ready to graduate. However, some prefer to enroll earlier to get access to advising. That means paying to take a course at TESU or taking a TECEP exam instead.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • ISKBizz15, Kelly Green, MrsBulletPoints, Murdockb
(09-15-2018, 02:32 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 02:14 AM)Supermind Wrote: Please give me more info about how TECEP exams make enrollment in TESU cheaper and easier? Also, how much is 3 semester hours? I am thinking of taking the College Algebra course.

To officially enroll at TESU you must either sign up and pay for their comprehensive tuition plan ($7,519 or $9,967 per year for up to 36 credits), or register for and take a course under the per-credit tuition plan. On the per-credit tuition plan, each course taken via TESU directly will run you $366 per credit (assuming you're on the Study.com discount, otherwise it is $396 or $499 per credit). So if you take a 3 credit course, that will run you $1,098 per course.

Lower level TECEP exams are $25 per credit but are mostly treated as if you took the course at the university. So, if you take the TECEP exam for a 3 credit course, you end up paying $75 instead of $1,098.

At $75 for a 3 credit course, that makes some courses cheaper than taking them via Straighterline or Study.com, for example. However, you have to study for them on your own since TESU doesn't provide materials. They do give you a guide that explains the exam and the study materials they recommend, but it's up to you to use them or not as you wish.

As for semester hours, TESU is on the semester hour system (as opposed to the quarter hour system), so 1 credit is the same as 1 semester hour.

Most of us here on this forum take most of our courses elsewhere and only take the capstone at TESU, so we end up just paying $1,098 for that course. That means we don't enroll until we're almost ready to graduate. However, some prefer to enroll earlier to get access to advising. That means paying to take a course at TESU or taking a TECEP exam instead.
Thank you Merlin! Really well explained. What is this $ 2200/2500 Residency Waiver fee? Will that be charged over and above the 1098$? My plan was similar to most of you here. I was planning on completing courses/exams with Aleks, SDC, SL, Saylor Academy and finally approach TESU for the Capstone. Of course, I need to do the Cornerstone with TESU too, which would cost 330$? But considering whatever you have just explained, I might just do some TECEP exams too, if they only cost 25-75$. Is there a minimum requirement for how many TECEP exams should be taken through TESU? I am actually on the verge of completing College Algebra with Edx. So, I am quite well prepared to handle that exam. I might as well do it with TESU instead of Edx, where I will only get a certificate from ASU.
(09-15-2018, 02:41 AM)Supermind Wrote: Thank you Merlin! Really well explained. What is this $ 2200/2500 Residency Waiver fee? Will that be charged over and above the 1098$?

The residency waiver is what you have to pay if you don't take enough credits direct from TESU. For people on the per-credit tuition plan, this is 16 credits. Yes, it is charged over and above tuition cost for the capstone course. If you take 16 credits from TESU you don't have to pay it, but that means taking 5-6 courses from TESU (and spending upwards of $5,800) but it does include the $1,098 for the capstone.

(09-15-2018, 02:41 AM)Supermind Wrote: My plan was similar to most of you here. I was planning on completing courses/exams with Aleks, SDC, SL, Saylor Academy and finally approach TESU for the Capstone. Of course, I need to do the Cornerstone with TESU too, which would cost 330$? But considering whatever you have just explained, I might just do some TECEP exams too, if they only cost 25-75$. Is there a minimum requirement for how many TECEP exams should be taken through TESU? I am actually on the verge of completing College Algebra with Edx. So, I am quite well prepared to handle that exam. I might as well do it with TESU instead of Edx, where I will only get a certificate from ASU.

The cornerstone is only $300 and counts as a 1 credit GenEd course, but yeah you'll need to pay for and take it as well.

As far as TECEP exams go, there is no requirement to take them at all. You may take as few or as many as you like. Many people on the forum will take a TECEP at least once a year to stay enrolled and locked into their catalog year. But if you plan to take the capstone within a year of when your application was accepted, then that isn't necessary.

So if you think you're ready to take the College Algebra exam, you might as well take the TECEP, it would be cheaper than most of the alternative options (other than ALEKS or Saylor maybe) and you get the added advantage of becoming enrolled for a year.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 440 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 488 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 629 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  TECEP limits? oldguy4associate 4 470 10-24-2023, 04:19 PM
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 313 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 715 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader