Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 years removed from school, 108 credits want to finish my business/finance degree
Prloko Wrote:TESC awards credit based on licenses. They have already assessed some for credit (link below), and may give additional credits if you submit yours.

Academic Program Reviews

You may also be able to do a PLA, but this requires taking and paying for a PLA course and then paying for any additional PLA credit earned at the full tuition rate. It may not be cost effective.

Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Certification Exams So I called the Office for Assessment of Professional and Workplace Learning, based on my finra licenses I would qualify for 6 upper division credits - not sure how that changes the plan originally posted by PrLoko

Rebel thank you so much for the Charter Oak info, I will keep that in mind.

I applied to Miami Dade last night and was sent this morning an e-mail that I was accepted to the pre-bachelor's business program and to reach out to one of the advisors so I will do so.

I will keep you all posted, thank you so much
infoe36069 Wrote:Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Certification Exams So I called the Office for Assessment of Professional and Workplace Learning, based on my finra licenses I would qualify for 6 upper division credits - not sure how that changes the plan originally posted by PrLoko

I applied to Miami Dade last night and was sent this morning an e-mail that I was accepted to the pre-bachelor's business program and to reach out to one of the advisors so I will do so.

I would urge the MDC option if its at all reasonable. I think there is solid alumni support for them, especially in South Florida and you are really already an established student with them. If they come back with a crazy number of classes then I would consider TESC or COSC.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Don't forget that MDC offers credit for CLEP/DSST http://www.mdc.edu/asa/documents/CLEP_Ch...4-2010.pdf

http://www.mdc.edu/pla/earn_college_cred..._exam.aspx
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:I would urge the MDC option if its at all reasonable. I think there is solid alumni support for them, especially in South Florida and you are really already an established student with them. If they come back with a crazy number of classes then I would consider TESC or COSC.

Thank you, it does seem to be the least one I understand of what would be required at this point but the one I am leaning towards the most, I hope it all works out. I inquired about having an un official evaluation, I also inquired as to whether they would accept my professional licenses. 6 upper division credits does seem nice to have in the bank.
rebel100 Wrote:Don't forget that MDC offers credit for CLEP/DSST http://www.mdc.edu/asa/documents/CLEP_Ch...4-2010.pdf

Credit-by-Exam | Earn College Credits | Prior Learning Assessment | Miami Dade College

Yes Thank you, when I was young and dumb I went in and took two spanish clep exams (native spanish speaker) and a computer exam, the computer exam passed by the skim of my teeth without doing any studying.

Would be ideal to be able to do some more clep and finish that way if the stars align. I will need to have a 2.0 so I will have to see how it all works out.
Would someone be able to show me how to plug the classes I already have from my transcript into the requirements from Miami Dade college? how does one know when the courses are named slightly different if what I have would satisfy or not?

https://sisvsr.mdc.edu/ps/sheet.aspx?pgm=P9200,P5200
infoe36069 Wrote:Would someone be able to show me how to plug the classes I already have from my transcript into the requirements from Miami Dade college? how does one know when the courses are named slightly different if what I have would satisfy or not?

https://sisvsr.mdc.edu/ps/sheet.aspx?pgm=P9200,P5200
Looking at that I am going to guess you will have quite a lot to do. Public schools in Florida follow a statewide numbering system, as best I can tell FIU uses the same, your course work doesn't fit the MDC requirements very well. I am sure they will take you back, but the UL that they require looks very different form what you have, they may also require additional LL courses. You need to talk to them and confirm, but I think you will prefer TESC or COSC to what you have there.
AS in EMS August 2010

infoe36069 Wrote:Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Certification Exams So I called the Office for Assessment of Professional and Workplace Learning, based on my finra licenses I would qualify for 6 upper division credits - not sure how that changes the plan originally posted by PrLoko

Depending on the exam, and if it doesn't overlap with existing credit, this may finish your area of concentration. Then you will only need a few credits. You may be able to just clep the rest of the credits and just pay the enrollment fee.

Did they tell you what credits you would receive?

http://www.tesc.edu/documents/Financial_...hority.pdf
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
rebel100 Wrote:Looking at that I am going to guess you will have quite a lot to do. Public schools in Florida follow a statewide numbering system, as best I can tell FIU uses the same, your course work doesn't fit the MDC requirements very well. I am sure they will take you back, but the UL that they require looks very different form what you have, they may also require additional LL courses. You need to talk to them and confirm, but I think you will prefer TESC or COSC to what you have there.

Thank you very much, the TESC accepting the 6 credits for my finra exams is very attractive...what is not so attractive is the annual enrollment fee. Going to have to weigh my options of ease of completion vs cost. Looks like ease of completion will probably win.
infoe36069 Wrote:Thank you very much, the TESC accepting the 6 credits for my finra exams is very attractive...what is not so attractive is the annual enrollment fee. Going to have to weigh my options of ease of completion vs cost. Looks like ease of completion will probably win.

It's all about ROI and opportunity cost Smile

If you decide to do the enrolled option, you don't need to do the TECEPS, there are plenty of CLEP/DSST that can fill in those areas.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,623 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,183 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 242 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden