Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 years removed from school, 108 credits want to finish my business/finance degree
Prloko Wrote:It's all about ROI and opportunity cost Smile

If you decide to do the enrolled option, you don't need to do the TECEPS, there are plenty of CLEP/DSST that can fill in those areas.

I'd much rather do the non enrolled option but not sure how that will work...will the 6 credits from my licensing count towards the courses or less teceps I need to do. does the 6 credits not really benefit me since I need to do 24 credits to avoid the enrollment fee?

Understanding university fee structure is like doing a financial plan for some of my clients...very intricate you guys are all pro's in my book.
Prloko Wrote:Depending on the exam, and if it doesn't overlap with existing credit, this may finish your area of concentration. Then you will only need a few credits. You may be able to just clep the rest of the credits and just pay the enrollment fee.

Did they tell you what credits you would receive?

http://www.tesc.edu/documents/Financial_...hority.pdf

oh did not see this...she said 6 upper level credit the lady read it from a paper...I can ask her specifically because she mumbled something to herself after it does not seem accurate though...I hold the series 7 which alone is 6 credits and the 66 which is a combination of the 63 and the 65
You would still have to complete 24 credits with the school to do the per credit option. This would include TECEPs and online courses. If TESC accepts your FINRA as upper level Finance, you can do the entire 24 credits through TECEPs lowering your cost considerably. The upside, finishing your bachelors quickly and for a little over $1K (including app and grad fees.). The downside, not having a TESC GPA for grad schools and not having the opportunity to raise your GPA.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
the teceps if I don't pass can I retake? are they very difficult? This does seem like the route I may end up going
There isn't a whole lot of info on the TECEPs. They can be multiple choice, essay or a combo of both. I took the Operations Management TECEP and it was doable. I read an OM textbook. Do a google search for this site, there have been some people taking them lately and we are getting more and more info on them.

They are CR/NCR . Passing score is 60%. I think the English one is a little higher. I believe you can retake them as long as you pay the fee. You enroll in them like a regular class. You have 12 weeks to take the exam. So if you don't pass, you need to re-register, pay again the next month since the school has monthly enrollments.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Prloko Wrote:There isn't a whole lot of info on the TECEPs. They can be multiple choice, essay or a combo of both. I took the Operations Management TECEP and it was doable. I read an OM textbook. Do a google search for this site, there have been some people taking them lately and we are getting more and more info on them.

They are CR/NCR . Passing score is 60%. I think the English one is a little higher. I believe you can retake them as long as you pay the fee. You enroll in them like a regular class. You have 12 weeks to take the exam. So if you don't pass, you need to re-register, pay again the next month since the school has monthly enrollments.

if my licenses/cert satisfied my upper level requirement meaning I could clep the rest and pay the enrollment fee...is that easier/cheaper than paying enrollment fee and doing tecep for the rest?

I reread the last couple of pages and see why it's an option...the tecep way is around 1000~ give or take but it's 8 exams where as I could enroll and just clep/tecep (?) what is left and be done.
I think you got it.

Its a matter of ease vs cost.

You know how cleps are arranged because you have taken them before. If you knock out the 6 UL, you will need 4 CLEP/DSST exams. This site, instacert and free-clep-prep have CLEP/DSST down to a science.

So your cost would be:

Enrollment fee(approx $3K),
CLEP/DSST exam fee (80-100 each, so about $400),
Any proctor fees(from 0 to 50 depending),
Applicaton fee ($75),
Graduation fee ($299),
transcripts (varies),
gas (2.75 p/g and rising),
study time (priceless).

If you do the Per Credit option:
Application Fee ($75),
TECEP exams ($888 total for 8 exams),
proctor fee*,
graduation fee,
transcripts,
gas,*
study time.

* They were transitioning to proctor u where you could do them at home, I'm not sure if every exam has switched over yet.

My estimate (of course depending on the acceptance of your FINRA) for you.

enroll/clep- about $4000 and 3-6 months.
per credit/TECEP- $about $1200 and 6-12 months.

PrLoko-isms

infoe36069 Wrote:oh did not see this...she said 6 upper level credit the lady read it from a paper...I can ask her specifically because she mumbled something to herself after it does not seem accurate though...I hold the series 7 which alone is 6 credits and the 66 which is a combination of the 63 and the 65

According to that document, the series 7 counts for:

3 UL Finance Markets or Investment Broker

3 UL Marketplace Ethics

Since you already have Fin Mkts as a course, you can get it accepted as a brokers course maybe. The other is an ethics course. They may try to throw that one into the ethics requirement. If they do that, I would ask them to move it to your area of study because there are other exams that can cover ethics.

PrLoko-isms

Prloko Wrote:According to that document, the series 7 counts for:

3 UL Finance Markets or Investment Broker

3 UL Marketplace Ethics

Since you already have Fin Mkts as a course, you can get it accepted as a brokers course maybe. The other is an ethics course. They may try to throw that one into the ethics requirement. If they do that, I would ask them to move it to your area of study because there are other exams that can cover ethics.
I have the series 66 as well which is a uniformed combined state exam which is essnetially the 63 AND the 65 in one test. It is TECHNICALLY both licenses in one license. There is a ton of rules and ethics involved in that exam. Now when I called the lady mentioned that It was a combination of the 7/66 or 7/63 to receive those 6 credits, I'm not sure if that document has been updated.

Prloko Wrote:I think you got it.

Its a matter of ease vs cost.

You know how cleps are arranged because you have taken them before. If you knock out the 6 UL, you will need 4 CLEP/DSST exams. This site, instacert and free-clep-prep have CLEP/DSST down to a science.

So your cost would be:

Enrollment fee(approx $3K),
CLEP/DSST exam fee (80-100 each, so about $400),
Any proctor fees(from 0 to 50 depending),
Applicaton fee ($75),
Graduation fee ($299),
transcripts (varies),
gas (2.75 p/g and rising),
study time (priceless).

If you do the Per Credit option:
Application Fee ($75),
TECEP exams ($888 total for 8 exams),
proctor fee*,
graduation fee,
transcripts,
gas,*
study time.

* They were transitioning to proctor u where you could do them at home, I'm not sure if every exam has switched over yet.

My estimate (of course depending on the acceptance of your FINRA) for you.

enroll/clep- about $4000 and 3-6 months.
per credit/TECEP- $about $1200 and 6-12 months.

Seems like you think the per credit/tecep way is the way to go...I don't see why an extra half a year and a substantial savings is not the way to go.
is next step coming back to you all with the evaluation? I electronically submitted my transcripts and mailed today my documentation from FINRA for review of credits. I'm curious how it will all pan out.

Are Tecep tests taken from home or at a prometric/pearson vue?

is there a way to see all the teceps? If I have to take 8 I assume 3/4 will be required and then I can do 3/4 as just elective or whatever I hope or find to be the easiest?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,473 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 550 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 252 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 558 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,712 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,651 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 560 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,914 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 670 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 491 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill