Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11th hour program change
Has anyone changed their program (major, school, etc) when they were very close to finishing their degree? How did that work out for you?

BACS is a better fit for my long term goals, but so close to finishing the BSBA:CIS. A lot of reasons not to make the change, but I keep considering it.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I made a few changes back and forth before settling on my first degree, and again on the second. At the time I felt rushed to complete the initial degree. If I knew then what I know now...

If registered in 2014 or prior, I would not so easily change now - too many new requirements. Have you considered a dual program? If adding a degree, you would most likely remain enrolled in the original catalog year. Maybe create a draft evaluation so you can map the overlap, how many credits left, etc. I would imagine some crossover between CIS AOS and CS AOS requirements. If after creating a plan it looks doable, set up an appointment to speak with an advisor, before making any changes. I would first make darn sure when they hit that button, you are in the same calendar year.

Good luck!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
It certainly can't hurt to contact TESU and see what it would take to get a dual degree, rather than changing it entirely. Also, you can map out the 24cr that you'd need to get to get a 2nd degree there. You can also look at getting a higher-level MACS degree elsewhere.

If I was really close to finishing my degree, I would probably finish just to finish. I think I would probably kick myself if life happened at one point, and I was not able to finish the new degree, and I realized I would at least have the first degree in my hand if I'd just finished it when I could have (and with the residency requirements, and the ability to take the Capstone as a TECEP, the cost is so much less).

A business degree is valuable in and of itself, it certainly can't hurt your career. So my advice is finish, and then figure out how you want to get the BACS when you have the BSBA in CIS in your hand.

And, if you have residency (looks like you may), then you probably want to go ahead and get it when you can, since you won't have that $2000 fee hanging over your head.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
ajs1976 Wrote:Has anyone changed their program (major, school, etc) when they were very close to finishing their degree? How did that work out for you?

BACS is a better fit for my long term goals, but so close to finishing the BSBA:CIS. A lot of reasons not to make the change, but I keep considering it.

If I was in your shoes, I would follow through with the BSBA CIS and get a second degree - BA Comp Sci or Masters.
I believe it's just 24 extra credits for the BA Comp Sci, or if you are more adventurous, 36 credits for a Masters...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would finish the BSBA too. You never know what can happen in the future. What if they stop allowing a full transfer in of all credits and do away with the residency waiver? What if they change the TECEP and it becomes a capstone? What if life happens and you can't finish for some reason? It is easy to get a second degree once one is completed and a Masters is only a little more work.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I was set to do the ASASM Comp Sci and BSBA CIS but realized for 2 calc classes I could do my BA Comp Sci instead and get an AS Bus. Admin. The latter sounds better so I switched.
TESU - BA CS
ajs1976 Wrote:Has anyone changed their program (major, school, etc) when they were very close to finishing their degree? How did that work out for you?

Another thread just came up with WGU adding a BS in CS (and a MS as well) in the coming months. Updating my previous post, I think you should continue with the BSBA, and then switch to WGU for the BSCS or MSCS. I think you'll come out cheaper that way. And, it's always nice to have a different school on your resume (at least, I think it is).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:It certainly can't hurt to contact TESU and see what it would take to get a dual degree, rather than changing it entirely.

I forgot that you probably can't take this as a dual degree, since they're not related. You would have to go with a 2nd degree.
dfrecore Wrote:I forgot that you probably can't take this as a dual degree, since they're not related. You would have to go with a 2nd degree.

Oops, I forgot that too!

If you complete the business degree first, all those business courses will populate under BA CS free electives, so no loss there. And, if applicable, 9 of the 33 credits required in the CS AOS can be reused from your CIS AOS.

I would still set up an appointment to speak with an advisor. Ask if you enroll in the BA CS the day after your BSBA CIS is certified (which is what I did), would they PLEASE allow you to remain under the same catalog and just continue enrollment for another year while completing a second degree. I know much has changed over the years but it can't hurt to ask.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:I would still set up an appointment to speak with an advisor. Ask if you enroll in the BA CS the day after your BSBA CIS is certified (which is what I did), would they PLEASE allow you to remain under the same catalog and just continue enrollment for another year while completing a second degree. I know much has changed over the years but it can't hurt to ask.

This is great advice! Do it. And make sure you get to maintain your residency as well.

One last thing - do NOT take any courses towards your CS yet! Wait until after you get your BSBA conferred, then take them. If you take them now, they won't count.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,922 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 722 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need school like ASU Universal Learner Program aetosdios 8 1,346 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,196 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,668 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  ASU AZNext Program origamishuttle 2 1,155 01-15-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: doom
  CyberCorps Scholarship for Service (SFS) program nyvrem 0 564 08-13-2022, 10:23 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Recommendations for accredited, self-paced program sparkling 7 1,250 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New USF Certificate Program TINASAM 3 687 06-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Students in Columbia College’s Automotive Tech Program Get Rare Tour of Tesla LevelUP 0 434 04-23-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: LevelUP