Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 year old wanting to CLEP test??
Hi,

My twelve-year-old has been studying for the US History 1 CLEP test. We were beginning to register and pay for the exam earlier when they said her birthdate was not eligible for online registration per the privacy policy. She is a young seventh-grader and I had been told by many people that age wasn't an issue. What does this mean for her? Do we have to wait until she is 13? She will be totally bummed bc she has studied and is ready to take the examSad

Any advice or experience with this would ease our minds greatly!

God Bless,
Natalie
Who do you mean said her birthdate was not eligible? The testing center or the College Board?
My 12 year old has taken two - though they are DSST's. Not sure if that makes a difference. We didn't have any issues with her age.
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
I was trying to register her for the CLEP test. I thought the only way to do that was through the official CLEP Collegeboard website. It refused to finish her registration bc she isn't 13 and she had to be 13 bc of the privacy policy. Can I register her for the CLEP test another way? Sorry, this is new territory for us and we don't have anyone we personally know doing it that we can ask.
I would call CollegeBoard and talk to them. This is a downside of the new way they have of registering (and of blanket laws about minors on the internet). Ask if Collegeboard will allow you to register her for the exam over the phone. Please come back and let us know what they say as well. This is a new one for me, too.

Edit: Here's what all the hub-bub's about - http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rul...ction-rule
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Thanks so much. I will be calling tomorrow and will update.
donnat Wrote:I was trying to register her for the CLEP test. I thought the only way to do that was through the official CLEP Collegeboard website. It refused to finish her registration bc she isn't 13 and she had to be 13 bc of the privacy policy. Can I register her for the CLEP test another way? Sorry, this is new territory for us and we don't have anyone we personally know doing it that we can ask.

This is the first I've ever heard of this, you should call College Board directly. This may be a new policy!

Edit: I just read the COPPA online privacy rule-The policy of online registration is BRAND NEW and you're probably the first under 13 year old family to inquire. You can be instrumental in finding a solution that allows all the under 13 year olds to test. College Board does NOT have an age restriction, so this is certainly a COPPA issue! Perhaps postal mail registration is a solution? I don't know- but if you're up for it, I'd love to see you be part of the solution, because there are many standing behind you waiting to test and you can really help College Board deal with this issue SOONER rather than LATER.
I do not believe there is any other way to register for a CLEP exam other than through the CLEP website - no paper method. Good luck with CLEP as they are finding out their new-and-improved platform and registration has caused a number of issues that they did not think of. I am looking forward to hearing your update!
Just for the purpose of creating the account, subtract a year from her birthday. then when she turns 13, log in and fix it.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
I would not suggest having your child lie to CLEP and the proctors. She will be asked to verify her birthdate when checking in with her registration ticket. If you feel comfortable setting this practice for your child's education, then practice with her so that she naturally responds with an incorrect year.

Unless you have a state ID card for your daughter, I assume that you will need to use CLEP's Student ID Form (you can search for the form on CLEP's website). Just remember that CLEP has become more strict in the requirements for the second ID. They don't share these requirements on their website so talk with the administrator at your test center.
Hi guys,

Just an update and a thank you to all for your input.

I spent the better half of my day on the phone with CollegeBoard reps and testing centers within an 85 mile radius of our home.

As of now, the only suggestion the CollegeBoard gave me was to find a testing center that had not switched over to the new system. The old system is computer-based while the new system is internet-based. Basically, they began switching to the new system on September 18th. It is a long process, however, of getting all the testing sites switched over. They said by spring all testing centers are expected to be switched to the new format for registering and testing.

I finally found a testing center that was still on the old system and have my daughter registered for December 27th. It will be an 85 mile drive, but worth it bc she has put waaaay to much time into studying to not be able to test. By spring, however, if nothing changes in their registration process, all testing centers will be on the new system and she will not be able to test again until she is 13.

I did send a lengthy email to the powers that be at the CollegeBoard asking them to please develop an alternate way for those under 13 to test.

Natalie Jenkins

EDIT:
Here is the email I sent. Hopefully others will follow suit and they will make some changes. If you would like to send an email addressing this issue as well, this is the address---clep@info.collegeboard.org
---------------------
My daughter began studying for US History 1 at the beginning of September. She is a young, bright seventh-grader and was excited about showing her ability to do college-level work and also earn college-level credit.

Unfortunately, (and unbeknownst to us) on September 18th you began switching to a new centralized online registration that now will not allow anyone under 13 to register. It is my understanding that this is because of federal privacy laws and not being able to collect info over the internet on any person under the age of 13. I understand that you must abide by federal laws and I appreciate my child being protected under such laws. However, I am asking that you please come up with an alternate way for those under 13 to be able to register (phone register possibly??) for the CLEP. I applaud the Collegeboard for recognizing and tangibly rewarding those young students that work hard to prove college-level knowledge. You have rewarded those under 13 for years by allowing them access to test at the college level and obtain college-level credit.

Please continue to reward their achievement by allowing them to CLEP. It would be truly sad to let a new system of registration keep my daughter and countless others from the benefits of CLEP that have been able to be enjoyed by those under 13 years of age up until now.

Thank you so very much and God Bless,

Natalie Jenkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test score rogeryoung 4 222 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 210 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 894 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 511 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,819 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 769 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 632 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cardinal Stritch - Closing by year end bjcheung77 6 791 08-22-2023, 07:01 PM
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 514 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  PASSHE Freeze tuition for the fifth year in a row Vle045 7 800 08-01-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: LevelUP