Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Bachelors Degree from TESC
There's a lot of talk about getting 2nd degrees on here, and I've kicked around the idea myself. I'm getting a BA in Criminal Justice and have considered getting a 2nd Bachelors in History or a BSBA CIS. I know that you have to have 24 new credits with the majority of them being UL, but what courses are you required to take? Can you pretty much pick and choose generic History or Computer courses to get the 2nd degree?
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
You need to have 24 new credits in the major area of study. That's it. They don't have to be specific courses; they just have to fit into the major area of study. There is no specification for how many new credits have to be UL, but some of them will have to be UL for you to meet the degree's requirements. Like every other BA, 18 UL credits will be needed for history and computer science. Technically, you could get away with only having 9 new credits as UL if you already have 6 UL credits in history (or computer science) plus the capstone you will have to take later on. The question is, "Do you have to retake the liberal arts capstone?"

For the BSBA programs, the core has a bunch of courses that are automatically UL unless you take them at a CC. The area of specialization, CIS in your case, has to have 12 UL credits. I think for the BSBA, the area of study includes the business core, specialization, and business electives. There is not even enough room in the specialization for 24 new credits, so it has to include the business electives and business core.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:You need to have 24 new credits in the major area of study. That's it. They don't have to be specific courses; they just have to fit into the major area of study. There is no specification for how many new credits have to be UL, but some of them will have to be UL for you to meet the degree's requirements. Like every other BA, 18 UL credits will be needed for history and computer science. Technically, you could get away with only having 9 new credits as UL if you already have 6 UL credits in history (or computer science) plus the capstone you will have to take later on. The question is, "Do you have to retake the liberal arts capstone?"

For the BSBA programs, the core has a bunch of courses that are automatically UL unless you take them at a CC. The area of specialization, CIS in your case, has to have 12 UL credits. I think for the BSBA, the area of study includes the business core, specialization, and business electives. There is not even enough room in the specialization for 24 new credits, so it has to include the business electives and business core.

So if I hear what you're saying correctly I will need 12 CH in CIS and 12 CH in Business? Would I be able to use the TEEX courses as part of those 12 CH for CIS? Also with my main degree being a BA, and then getting a secondary as a BS do I need to be cognizant about the difference in Gen Eds?
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
defscarlett Wrote:So if I hear what you're saying correctly I will need 12 CH in CIS and 12 CH in Business? Would I be able to use the TEEX courses as part of those 12 CH for CIS? Also with my main degree being a BA, and then getting a secondary as a BS do I need to be cognizant about the difference in Gen Eds?

You just need 24 new credits in the major. It does not matter if they fall in the business core, CIS specialization, or business electives. Yes, you can use TEEX courses for the CIS area of study. The specialization or area of study is 18 credits. 12 of those credits need to be UL. The IT Professional TEEX courses lead to 2 UL credits at TESC. The "Everyone" courses lead to two 200-level credits. "Business Professionals" is counted as a generic, 200-level, management course that can only be used as a business or free elective. Check out my test out plan for the BSBA in General Management to see the gen ed requirements that are specific to business degrees.
Sanantone's BSBA General Management - Degree Forum Wiki
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Thanks for your assistance sanantone.

Last questions.

What I was asking above is if the Gen Ed requirements are different, i.e. the BSBA is requiring Statistics in my Gen Eds, but it is not required in my BA, would I now be required to meet those same Gen Ed requirements for my 2nd degree. Meaning will I have to take Statistics to get the 2nd degree.

I have a few Computer courses that I took about 10 years ago at a CC, they've already been transcribed, one as UL, two as LL and are sitting unused in my sadly large bank of overage credits. Since I have taken these prior to getting my first degree conferred am I allowed to use them? Especially since I'm not even using them for my primary degree. Also if I now add a second degree will I lose the UL credit that my course has already been transcribed as since that is now a rule with TESC?

Completed:
Yes, you have to meet the BSBA's additional gen ed requirements. Yes, you can use those courses toward the 2nd degree, but they won't be counted as new since they were earned before the first degree was conferred. I don't know if they will downgrade your CC course.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
So I was playing with the idea of getting a second BA at TESC in Social Studies or Psychology . . .because in theory I'd only need 8 more classes to meet the degree requirements and 8 classes meets the requirements for 24 new credits in the concentration for a second degree.

So my question revolves around what the associated TESC expenses will be. When I do an "enrolled options" plan for $3K its good for 12 months. If I wait to "enroll" until I have all the credits required to graduate with my BSBA, can I use my remaining 11 months to also graduate with a BA in Psychology? Or will they ask me to pay another $3K? Obviously I'd have to pay another graduation fee.

And on another tangent, if I choose to get both an Associates in Business Administration and a BSBA when I graduate, will they charge me one graduation fee or two?
BSU -ABA Certificate Program --In Progress

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014
I completed 63 credits in 15 weeks using this forum!

AAS -Web Design 2003
82.5 BM credits over 10 years old

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
SAYLOR: 2014 -Principles of Marketing 80%, -Corporate Communication 74%
ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics 76% (23 hours study time over 5 days)
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
Straighterline: ACC I 90.1%, ACC II 82.2%
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TECEP using IC flashcards: Public Relations Thought and Practice 78%
TESC PLA 100
You can use the balance of your enrollment fee for the second degree and if you apply for an associates and a bachelors during the same graduation cycle you only pay one graduation fee. I really don't see the point in getting an ASBA and BSBA at the same time - can you grab another associates instead to round out your resume?
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
AlbaTiVo Wrote:You can use the balance of your enrollment fee for the second degree and if you apply for an associates and a bachelors during the same graduation cycle you only pay one graduation fee. I really don't see the point in getting an ASBA and BSBA at the same time - can you grab another associates instead to round out your resume?

Oh, thats a great idea . . .I do have a lot of social studies credits . . . I'll have to check into this! Thanks!

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014

AAS -Web Design 2003

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TESC PLA 100
With TESC do I have to worry about overlapping use of classes for the AS in another subject (perhaps social sciences) and BSBA if I get both degrees at the same time when I graduate? I know from one Bachelors to another you have to have 24 new credits, but I didn't remember seeing anything on TESC website about overlaps being a problem.

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014

AAS -Web Design 2003

TESC PLA 100

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,236 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,877 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,368 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,692 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,904 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,790 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,049 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,978 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,343 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,717 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero