Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd bachelor degree -- how does it work?
Dumb question -- and this is purely because the curiosity has been driving me crazy. If you already have a bachelors degree and return for a second, do you need general ed all over again, or do they count that as satisfied by your first degree?
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Are you thinking of getting your second degree from the Big 3 or from another school? How long of a gap will there be between the two degrees (can be catalog changes, e.g., who wants to do one of those conerstone Courses when you already have a degree?).
a2jc4life Wrote:Dumb question -- and this is purely because the curiosity has been driving me crazy. If you already have a bachelors degree and return for a second, do you need general ed all over again, or do they count that as satisfied by your first degree?

Generally No, you are not required to get another 60 gen ed credits to earn a second bachelors. Usually you just need whatever the set number of credits the school wants for you to earn a Bachelors in lets say Accounting. No one would be going back for a second bachelors degree if they had to earn another 120 credits, why wouldn't you just go get a PhD for that amount of effort.

I know at TESU you only need 24 additional credits in whatever AoS you want your second degree in. I am not 100% sure on that number and its probably 12-18 that need to be UL as well. I am actually considering a second bachelors over a Masters because of cost and time to earn.

I have never heard of anyone earning a Bachelor's degree at lets say TESU and then a second bachelors somewhere else (I'm not saying this isn't doable just never heard of it). This was something I was looking into but the school I was considering hasn't gotten back to me yet.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yep, TESU only requires 24 new credits!

Synicaal Wrote:I have never heard of anyone earning a Bachelor's degree at lets say TESU and then a second bachelors somewhere else (I'm not saying this isn't doable just never heard of it). This was something I was looking into but the school I was considering hasn't gotten back to me yet.

A lot of people do that. COSC and TESU say you need special permission to do it, but it seems like it's easy to get permission. Some people even get a 3rd Bach or more.

Synicaal Wrote:I have never heard of anyone earning a Bachelor's degree at lets say TESU and then a second bachelors somewhere else (I'm not saying this isn't doable just never heard of it). This was something I was looking into but the school I was considering hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Happens all the time. Especially if someone wants an "easy" (or cheap) BA/BS quickly from one of the Big 3 (BALS or BSBA are common), and then can go back and get the second BA/BS in something more specialized from another school, and it will cost a lot less at that point since many schools will take a block transfer of a BA/BS and then you only need courses in your major.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Not at all unheard of. I'm doing my second right now at WGU after finishing my first with TESU, in fact.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I have a bachelors degree that I earned seven years ago From New Jersey city University And I will be getting a new one from Thomas Edison this year. It's not at all unusual.
I never said it wasn't possible to get two bachelor degrees from different school. I was only saying I never heard of it so I didn't know if it was possible. I should have simply omitted that part from my message. It seems most of the post on here are to answer that part of my post when the OP asked if they needed to get a second set of general education credits.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Yenisei Wrote:Are you thinking of getting your second degree from the Big 3 or from another school? How long of a gap will there be between the two degrees (can be catalog changes, e.g., who wants to do one of those conerstone Courses when you already have a degree?).

I'm not particularly looking to get a second BA/BS in anything. I was just curious. Partly, I was curious about what people do with the "extra" credits they accumulate through testing, etc., but mostly I've just wondered on and off for years how that works!
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
a2jc4life Wrote:Partly, I was curious about what people do with the "extra" credits they accumulate through testing, etc., but mostly I've just wondered on and off for years how that works!

Well, now that's another thing. If you get a BA/BS at TESU, and then you want a second one (maybe because you have extra credits you didn't use the first time), you can't use them! You need 24 NEW credits, and they all have to be in the major.

Now, at another school, there will be different rules, so you may be able to use them. But it would depend on the school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 585 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 265 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 609 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,698 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 284 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 849 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,235 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,830 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74