Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 Credits in 40 Days... Advice in Finishing the Rest
Hey guys, in early July I made a post here about the possibility of earning a Bachelor Degree while living abroad.

A big thank you goes out to everyone who offered advice or encouragement in that thread. More importantly, action was taken on your recommendations. In the 40 days since then I've managed to earn 30 credits (21 via Straighterline courses and another 9 via the Spanish CLEP exam).

25% of the way through this degree seems as good a time as any to properly structure the rest of the journey. I've loosely based credits earned thus far from Charter Oak State College Business Administration and General Education requirements. Currently completed credits include...

Spanish CLEP Exam (Score 64)
SL Organizational Behavior
SL Business Ethics
SL Introduction to Criminal Justice
SL Microeconomics
SL Macroeconomics
SL United States History I
SL Introduction to Nutrition

Yet, a few major questions still remain. Please keep in mind that this degree is being completed in Vietnam. The vast majority, if not all of the remaining credits will preferably be earned entirely online.

1. Is there a maximum amount of credits I'll be able to transfer from Straighterline, and/or an inability to fulfill sufficient upper level credits with SL courses? If getting UL credits with SL is going to be an issue, what's your recommended workaround? COSC requires 70% for SL courses, lists them simply as pass/fail and does not include them in GPA right?

2. Any tips on using FEMA credits to reduce the cost of this degree?

3. What's your advice for the easiest/quickest math class?

4. How to fulfill the 4-credit Science Lab abroad? (Getting the SL science kit shipped to Vietnam may not be practical. I'm really looking for a way to get this done online if that's somehow possible.)

Thanks a lot for reading. Your advice and insight is greatly appreciated. It won't be wasted.
You are off to a great start. I will try to help with a few answers.

1. The upper level requirements cannot be earned through SL. If you are looking to do these online, I believe that TECEPs will be your best option for upper level credits as these are proctored through ProctorU. See this list for upper level options: http://www.charteroak.edu/exams/exams-master-list.pdf

2. FEMA is a great way to earn free electives. You can probably use up to 20-25 credits of these. Take the exams here: Emergency Management Institute - Independent Study (IS) | Continuing Education Units and College Credits

Use this list to choose the exams: https://em-study.com/emsfema/article.php...icle_id=62

Then send your transcript straight from FEMA to COSC at no cost.

3. You will need Business Statistics for the COSC Business degree. This is best taken through ALEKS, or SL is also a great option for this course.

4. Some have said that you could complete the SL Biology Lab without the kit but I cannot confirm this. See this thread. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...rough.html
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I can confirm it so far.

I lack about three labs.

The rest, I bought stuff off ebay and have used it so far without penalty. Still looking for a cheap source of elodea plants...

Be careful with Charter Oak. Not all degree paths will accept the maximum amount of transfer credit. Public Safety Management is one.

Consider DSST's if you can find a place there that offers them. There are upper level credits available there.

You're really flying on the credits! Congrats!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Not sure what COSC's rule is, but TESU has a max of 90cr from any single source.

A more expensive, but easy way to get a science lab is to take the Nutrition Lab from Rio Salado College. It's $215 (ish) but you do it entirely online. You can then take the Nutrition course/exam from SL, Study.com, a TECEP, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • studiousimp
dfrecore Wrote:Not sure what COSC's rule is, but TESU has a max of 90cr from any single source.

A more expensive, but easy way to get a science lab is to take the Nutrition Lab from Rio Salado College. It's $215 (ish) but you do it entirely online. You can then take the Nutrition course/exam from SL, Study.com, a TECEP, etc.

If you can't take the SL Science Labs (which I would recommend if you can), you can go for an online lab. I think APU/AMU has them, at a cost though.
My recommendation is to complete all your general education and the electives, before working on the AOS (Area of Study courses).
There's a lot of info you can find on the degreeforum.wikia.com page, or the Beginners Guide: The Basic Approach - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia
Further to this, you may want to review your original post here: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...rseas.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,118 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,287 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,699 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,855 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,978 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,178 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 1,025 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,616 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,381 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,805 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone