Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
48 PLA credits for free from Kaplan - TESC transfer??
I just got off the phone with someone from Kaplan, asking about their PLA process. They have a free 3 credit hour Open College course LRC 100 to teach a person how to develop a portfolio for evaluation, and apparently this course does transfer to TESC for credit.

https://opencollege.kaplan.com/events/LRC100/

On the website, it says that if a person submits a portfolio within 10 weeks of registering for LRC 100, then Kaplan will evaluate that portfolio for free. The Kaplan fellow on the phone told me that the freely evaluated portfolio can be for up to 15 courses (courses, not credit hours). For whatever credits are approved by Kaplan, he said I could try to send those credits over to TESC to see if they would accept them.

Has anyone tried this before? Does TESC readily accept PLA credits which have been approved by Kaplan? Obviously there is no guarantee, but it sounds like TESC is pretty good about accepting LearningCounts PLA credits and I'm wondering if they are just as comfortable with Kaplan credits.

I need 12 UL music credits and am trying to do most of them through PLA. I was going to do them through TESC's PLA process, because I also need 12 TESC residency hours, but now I'm thinking it might make more sense to try the music credits through Kaplan. It sounds like TESC is pretty picky in accepting PLA portfolios if you do it through them, and I'm wondering if I have a better chance of getting the music credits approved via Kaplan and then transferring them over. Then I would just find some TECEPs or something for the remaining TESC residency credits.
Depends on how it's transcribed. If it says something like MGT 301 Principals of Management 3 credits P then I would guess yes.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Can you find out how it is transcribed?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Follow-up - I got the answer from Kaplan.

It sounds like you only get those 15 PLA evaluations for free if you enroll in Kaplan. If you don't enroll in Kaplan, you pay a $1500 fee. LearningCounts PLA and TESC's PLA are a better deal.

My question:
"Am I required to enroll in Kaplan University as a student in order to obtain credit for portfolio assessments? In other words, will I need to enroll in courses other than LRC100 at Kaplan University in order to receive credit for any approved courses in my portfolio?"

Kaplan's response:
"Yes, that are for students looking to enroll at Kaplan not going to another school if not then the cost of evaluation will be $1500."

Oh well.

The Kaplan course in how to do a PLA is still free and for credit, but since I want to have my PLAs evaluated by LearningCounts, I'll have to pay them for their How to do a PLA course.
the member Fallingwaters did a music PLA through TESC. Send her a message, I'm sure there are also posts of hers in the archives that might help you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,879 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,519 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,118 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,287 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,699 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,855 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,616 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,381 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,666 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  NUR prefix transfer at TESU Cheeseburrito 10 2,241 07-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Last Post: cookderosa