Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$8,300 Sunderland MSc in CS (Data Science concentration)
Priced at £6,780 (US$8,300).  It's a conversion masters in CS for non-CS grads.  They also accept people without bachelors degrees but with CS experience.  

https://online.sunderland.ac.uk/online-c...a-science/

Has anyone here looked into this program before?
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • Pikachu
That does seem like a very good program, I've talked about the school before, but not this particular program. If you search the board, they've been mentioned in regards to inexpensive Doctorate or PhD programs as well, and another Masters here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ers-Online
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • smartdegree
Wrexham also has an interesting program at an affordable price.
https://online.glyndwr.ac.uk/msc-computer-science/
6000 GBP (7400 USD)

GBP/USD is down from 1.39 to 1.23 USD in one year. UK and Europe education become more affordable Smile
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
asianphd Wrote:GBP/USD is down from 1.39 to 1.23 USD in one year. UK and Europe education become more affordable Smile

Oh Snap! What, why didn't I think of that... Hmm... Let me check out other countries and see if it became more affordable too.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • asianphd
(06-23-2022, 04:12 PM)smartdegree Wrote: .  They also accept people without bachelors degrees but with CS experience.  

Quote: Applicants who do not hold a recognised degree will be asked to provide evidence which demonstrates a minimum of three years’ relevant organisational experience

The work experience must be at a graduate level, in either a managerial or professional capacity which may include voluntary work, placements, internships, or project management

interesting
(06-24-2022, 05:29 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 04:12 PM)smartdegree Wrote: .  They also accept people without bachelors degrees but with CS experience.  

Quote: Applicants who do not hold a recognised degree will be asked to provide evidence which demonstrates a minimum of three years’ relevant organisational experience

The work experience must be at a graduate level, in either a managerial or professional capacity which may include voluntary work, placements, internships, or project management

interesting

This is fair. I believe. Capella takes a PMP equivelent to almost a BA, and fulfills almost 75% of your degree with it.
I've seen a lot of posts about these degrees and they seem to be quite useless in terms of learning what you need to learn. You might be better off taking a coding bootcamp, because 12 months is not enough time to properly learn the things that you need to learn to be competent. Maybe a second bachelors in CS might be more useful because I think the process here should take 2-3 years. That second bachelors in CS from Boston University MET looks real juicy, but too bad is not fully remote.
(06-28-2022, 11:19 PM)Stoic Wrote: I've seen a lot of posts about these degrees and they seem to be quite useless in terms of learning what you need to learn. You might be better off taking a coding bootcamp, because 12 months is not enough time to properly learn the things that you need to learn to be competent. Maybe a second bachelors in CS might be more useful because I think the process here should take 2-3 years. That second bachelors in CS from Boston University MET looks real juicy, but too bad is not fully remote.

It must be emphasized that it depends on the individual. I often get bored awaiting others to learn the material and I am certain to have plenty of company.
(06-28-2022, 11:19 PM)Stoic Wrote: I've seen a lot of posts about these degrees and they seem to be quite useless in terms of learning what you need to learn. You might be better off taking a coding bootcamp, because 12 months is not enough time to properly learn the things that you need to learn to be competent. Maybe a second bachelors in CS might be more useful because I think the process here should take 2-3 years. That second bachelors in CS from Boston University MET looks real juicy, but too bad is not fully remote.

The problem with a bootcamp, especially for a data scientist position, is that you probably won't even get past the HR screener to get to an interview.

For a tech position, a degree has basically 3 purposes:
1. Get you to the interview
2. Give you enough knowledge to do well in the interview and get the job
3. Give you enough knowledge to do well in the job for the first 6 months to a year

Of the 3, a degree MUST do number 1.  If you don't get past number 1 the other two don't count.  If I were taking this degree and felt that it was deficient in some topics, a super easy way to solve that problem is to supplement it with Udemy type courses.  Now you have a degree that gets you the interview and self-study that helps you do well in the interview, get the job, and perform well there.
MS, Data Science, Eastern University
ALM, Information Technology, Harvard University
AB, Government, Georgetown University
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcjon77's post:
  • martialartist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 101 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,654 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,133 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 11 1,302 12-11-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MS Data Analytics vs MS Data Science smartdegree 10 1,243 11-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Indiana University MS Data Science - $12,500 total cost Yanji 12 2,963 10-20-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters Data Science LivingLog 43 7,269 10-20-2023, 05:48 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  New WUSTL Online Master of Data Analytics - $36K smartdegree 4 492 08-30-2023, 01:14 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question ENEB PM & Big Data How Fast? anyeveryany 14 2,519 06-05-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,720 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent