Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A big 3 degree with osteopathic school prerequisites?
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you all for a bit of advice.

I am planning on applying to several osteopathic medical schools within the next 3-4 years. They all have a required list of prerequisites, and I am trying to figure out which bachelor’s degree from the “Big 3” would fit with and make the best use of them. Right now my goal is simply to finish those specific classes with high grades, and then “fill in the gaps” with testing to pick up my bachelor’s degree (also a prerequisite).

The bachelor’s is not a concern for me, it can be in any subject provided it allows me to finish by testing out. I am confident that I will be able to fill in the remaining 67 credits rather quickly, but need to figure out a roadmap first. Any suggestions?

These are the prerequisites (I am working through them at a local community college)

- Biology - 8 credits
- Chemistry - 8 credits
- Organic Chemistry - 8 credits
- Physics - 8 credits
- College English - 6 credits
- Behavioral Sciences - 6 credits
(44 credits total)

I also have additional credits for:
- College Algebra - 5 credits
- Nutrition - 4 credits
(9 credits)

As far as I am aware, the schools look at your overall GPA (3.45 is average), as well as the GPA in those specific classes (3.35 is average). I am very confident that I can make those marks, but I am also wondering if testing out of the rest of the curriculum for a bachelor’s would otherwise negate that in their eyes?

Does the GPA for classes taken at a brick and mortar school transfer to a degree that is finished off through CLEP, etc…?

I am very excited to earn a degree non-traditionally, but don’t want to go that route if it will not be useful for it’s intended purpose. If anyone here any additional words of wisdom regarding medical schools and such, I would love to hear them.

Searching through this site has been a great help already, and I thank you all very much for your time.

- Brent
twiceborn Wrote:Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you all for a bit of advice.

I am planning on applying to several osteopathic medical schools within the next 3-4 years. They all have a required list of prerequisites, and I am trying to figure out which bachelor’s degree from the “Big 3” would fit with and make the best use of them. Right now my goal is simply to finish those specific classes with high grades, and then “fill in the gaps” with testing to pick up my bachelor’s degree (also a prerequisite).

The bachelor’s is not a concern for me, it can be in any subject provided it allows me to finish by testing out. I am confident that I will be able to fill in the remaining 67 credits rather quickly, but need to figure out a roadmap first. Any suggestions?

These are the prerequisites (I am working through them at a local community college)

- Biology - 8 credits
- Chemistry - 8 credits
- Organic Chemistry - 8 credits
- Physics - 8 credits
- College English - 6 credits
- Behavioral Sciences - 6 credits
(44 credits total)

I also have additional credits for:
- College Algebra - 5 credits
- Nutrition - 4 credits
(9 credits)

As far as I am aware, the schools look at your overall GPA (3.45 is average), as well as the GPA in those specific classes (3.35 is average). I am very confident that I can make those marks, but I am also wondering if testing out of the rest of the curriculum for a bachelor’s would otherwise negate that in their eyes?

Does the GPA for classes taken at a brick and mortar school transfer to a degree that is finished off through CLEP, etc…?

I am very excited to earn a degree non-traditionally, but don’t want to go that route if it will not be useful for it’s intended purpose. If anyone here any additional words of wisdom regarding medical schools and such, I would love to hear them.

Searching through this site has been a great help already, and I thank you all very much for your time.

- Brent
>>

Any. Seriously. I'd suggest (in order) these 4. If there was another you were looking at, shout out.
1. BA Natural Science and Mathematics
2. BA Liberal Studies
3. BA Social Sciences or Biology (tie)

ALL colleges will ignore transfer grades when calculating GPA, so in theory, if you transfer in 100% of your classes to TESC, you won't have a GPA. Don't worry, when you file for application with AACOM , a GPA will be re-calculated based on all schools/classes attended. This is to avoid students temptation to manipulate a GPA (which happens ALL the time, here especially).
I strongly suggest you complete the prerequisites at a university rather than a community college.
ideafx Wrote:I strongly suggest you complete the prerequisites at a university rather than a community college.

I am with you about the university verus community college. My daughter is doing all of her pre requ's for a PharmD and they clearly state that preference is with students that do their course work at a 4 year college not a community college.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
cookderosa Wrote:ALL colleges will ignore transfer grades when calculating GPA
No, Excelsior counts transfered courses towards your GPA.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Maniac Craniac Wrote:No, Excelsior counts transfered courses towards your GPA.
>>

I stand corrected.
ideafx Wrote:I strongly suggest you complete the prerequisites at a university rather than a community college.

Just curious as to why? :confused:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:Just curious as to why? :confused:
>>

To perpetuate the myth? Smile

Strong cumulative GPA, extra-strong science GPA, excellent extra-curriculars, 1 (or two) letters from a DO, job shadow one (or five) DOs, apply in your home state plus 10 others, >28 on the MCAT, apply by June, secondaries --> complete by late July.

That's the recipe for getting a DO COM interview.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,242 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,892 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,388 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,705 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,942 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,797 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,070 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,983 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,351 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,725 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero