Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions... BSBA from TESC. *HELP*
Okay, so I'm headed for my BSBA in Accounting from TESC and then on to my Masters so that I can sit for the CPA exam. But I have a few questions:

First, If I transfer 108+ credits and my only remaining credits are TECEP tests (no online courses), will TESC honor that? What about my GPA, because all of those credits would be pass or fail?

Second, Can I do my Bachelors and Masters at the same time? I mean, get my electives for my masters, then enroll and do it all in one year to save on enrollment?

Third, Based on the above information, should I be looking at a different institution other than TESC???

I really appreciate any and all advice any of you have.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
I can answer some of your questions. No TESC does not give a GPA for TECEP's you have to take at least one course with them. They will honor your credits and give you a degree if you have met all the requirements, but they will not give you a GPA.

They do have a bachelors to masters program where some of your bachelors credits count for both, other then that I don't know if you can double up.

Yes you should be able to do it in one year, but remember you can only transfer 120 credits in to TESC. Also if you take a TECEP as an enrolled student it cost about 1/2 as much as for a nonenrolled student.

I can not answer the third question I have not looked into enought other institutions
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
As far as doing bachelors and masters at the same time, you'd probably only be able to do that at the same school because another school probably isn't going to let you take MBA or other grad level courses while you take undergrad courses elsewhere to get a (first) bachelor's.
Lindagerr Wrote:I can answer some of your questions. No TESC does not give a GPA for TECEP's you have to take at least one course with them. They will honor your credits and give you a degree if you have met all the requirements, but they will not give you a GPA.

They do have a bachelors to masters program where some of your bachelors credits count for both, other then that I don't know if you can double up.

Yes you should be able to do it in one year, but remember you can only transfer 120 credits in to TESC. Also if you take a TECEP as an enrolled student it cost about 1/2 as much as for a nonenrolled student.

I can not answer the third question I have not looked into enought other institutions

What does it mean to have no GPA???

I thought that 120 credits was the maximum TESC allows from a 4 year college (80 credits from a community college) but Clep/Dantes are unlimited. Hmm...

You think I can do both in a year?? I'd really hate to pay two years of tuition and only use 14 or so months of it.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
Ubuntu_user Wrote:Second, Can I do my Bachelors and Masters at the same time? I mean, get my electives for my masters, then enroll and do it all in one year to save on enrollment?

No, according to TESC's website: Thomas Edison State College | Bachelor's to Master's Program

Quote:Admission & Program Requirements:
The program is open to Thomas Edison State College enrolled undergraduate students who meet the following criteria:

earned at least 60 undergraduate credits toward a bachelor's degree at the College
a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0
at least three years of degree program relevant experience

But please ask, because I'd like to know if it is at all possible as well!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I transferred 72 brick and mortar into tesc. Then I sent in my clep and dsst exams plus Penn foster a leks and straighter line. I ended up with well ocher 120 and it was not a problem.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I think this whole confusion about 120 credits stems from TESC's website, which says "up to 120 credits can be transferred." when clicking on the "Will my college credits transfer?" link. However, the context of that statement is in reference to four year institutions. It does not reference DSST/CLEP exams or ACE recommendations as part of that 120 credit limit. DSST/CLEP exams are not transfer credit, nor are ACE recommendations. TESC elects to award credit directly from these sources.

While there are limits on certain sources of credit, I could not locate anything on TESC's website that there is a limit for all credits earned outside of TESC.
ryoder Wrote:I transferred 72 brick and mortar into tesc. Then I sent in my clep and dsst exams plus Penn foster a leks and straighter line. I ended up with well ocher 120 and it was not a problem.

So did you have to take any classes from TESC then? And did they give you a GPA?
SWarehouse Wrote:I think this whole confusion about 120 credits stems from TESC's website, which says "up to 120 credits can be transferred." when clicking on the "Will my college credits transfer?" link. However, the context of that statement is in reference to four year institutions. It does not reference DSST/CLEP exams or ACE recommendations as part of that 120 credit limit. DSST/CLEP exams are not transfer credit, nor are ACE recommendations. TESC elects to award credit directly from these sources.

While there are limits on certain sources of credit, I could not locate anything on TESC's website that there is a limit for all credits earned outside of TESC.

Yes, you are right. Actually on TESC website (I can't remember exactly where) it says that CLEP/DSST credits are unlimited. But like you mention, four year institutions credits you can only transfer up to 120.
Ubuntu_user Wrote:So did you have to take any classes from TESC then? And did they give you a GPA?

It is not required to take a course from TESC to complete a degree. To obtain a GPA, TESC requires a TESC course. TESC will not issue a GPA for e-Pack, Flashtrack, or Prior Learning Assessment courses. Nor will TESC issue a GPA for TECEP exams. TESC will issue a GPA for online courses and guided study courses.

If a TESC course is taken as part of the degree path, TESC requires an average GPA of 2.0 or above for degree conferral.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 5,172 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,792 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,056 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,725 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,024 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,695 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,299 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan kietro 11 5,046 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,516 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,179 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale