Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A path to 18?
Some schools don't seem to need a Masters at all. Just the part of the Masters. However, that is to meet their minimum requirements only. They will usually have candidates with at least a Masters outside the field.

My bachelors (as far as I know) is done.

Not sure I track on double dipping.

I'd like the option of teaching in an academic setting.

I'd also like to be able to say in interviews I am in a masters program.

I was thinking I could do some of the cheap edu credits others have talked about to build 18 in education with a couple of expensive CJ credits thrown in.

I really, really do not want a CJ masters. I'd want a MPA or masters in police leadership, etc.

I'd also want my employer to pay for it.

I don't have the money or the time to jump into serious grad work; I am struggling to come up with a sustainment plan while I try to find a better job with my shiny new credential.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(02-27-2018, 07:44 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: I was thinking I could do some of the cheap edu credits others have talked about to build 18 in education with a couple of expensive CJ credits thrown in.

I have wondered about this, and you may have gotten the idea from a post/message of mine, but I'm thinking it wouldn't work. Because your 18 AOS would be in education so... you'd only be allowed to teach EDUC. I don't see community college classes in education, except for Early Childhood Edu which is very different (ECE). I hope someone else has more info about this.

I hope you find a good employer who pays for your Masters!

High Order, you may want to investigate and research further if the WGU MSML would be ideal for you. It's part of WGU's business program and should also be included in their upcoming ACBSP accreditation in the next year or two. I hope you don't rush into choosing a program just because you would like a Masters. Find out what exactly you're looking at an pin-point it to a few degrees/schools of your choice.

Another option since you mentioned the MPA is the one from Excelsior, up to 33 of the 36/39 credits can be transferred into the program... I'm not sure, but I would see if some of the WGU courses can be used for Excelsior. Liberty and other schools have a good transfer credit limit as well. Last but not least, if it doesn't really matter for you about the RA vs NA, you can check out a few NA schools too!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Well,

I'm still in a holding pattern. I'd like to get after it while I am still in the academic mode of thinking; but my priority right now is getting more money coming in to repair the depleted savings account.

I'll continue to look.

Thanks for all the input!!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Jennifer or anyone, do you know how particular schools are about different prefixes? Such as if I had some JOUR prefixes and some ENG, would they add them together? Versus considering journalism to be "separate". I'm feeling like JOUR is so similar, I mean it's just writing? But what about COMM prefixes? Seems like they might say that's too dissimilar, even though some COMM classes even say writing in the title? Is the answer "it depends on the school"? I would need them to look and give me an "exception"/approval for the COMM class? I feel like it makes me a worse applicant if I had say 9 ENG, 3 JOUR, 6 COMM.

(03-13-2018, 05:49 AM)Ideas Wrote: Jennifer or anyone, do you know how particular schools are about different prefixes? Such as if I had some JOUR prefixes and some ENG, would they add them together? Versus considering journalism to be "separate". I'm feeling like JOUR is so similar, I mean it's just writing? But what about COMM prefixes? Seems like they might say that's too dissimilar, even though some COMM classes even say writing in the title? Is the answer "it depends on the school"? I would need them to look and give me an "exception"/approval for the COMM class? I feel like it makes me a worse applicant if I had say 9 ENG, 3 JOUR, 6 COMM.

To be clear, we are talking only about graduate school, and for the purposes of teaching. Also, this is not my area of expertise, but I've been digging a bit since I'm also building an 18 credit English bundle.

I've seen all of the above. I've seen ads that ask for "English, Literature, Communication" degrees and I've seen "ESL, Journalism, or other specialization" wording. I read all of this to suggest that the master's would be in one or the other. While I can't say for sure, I'm still pretty sure you're better off with an 18 credit bundle in the same prefix, if for no other reason than you'll likely be up against people with full degrees in that prefix.

My master's is "in" nutrition, which is to say the degree actually says "in nutrition" on it. If my degree were in Biology, my specialization might be nutrition (nutrition is a specialization of biology), and if I were applying for a teaching job, they would be looking for 18 credits in nutrition either inside my biology degree or as an addition somewhere. I could also have a degree in Biology but a specialization in some other aspect of biology like biotechnology, anatomy, microbiology, etc.

I'm not sure how English departments divide up those sections. Journalism, I would guess, could not house English whereas English could house journalism. I'm just not sure.
(03-13-2018, 07:18 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Journalism, I would guess, could not house English whereas English could house journalism.  I'm just not sure.

Oh, yes, that's something I'm suspecting as well.

Thanks for sharing what you have found.

(03-13-2018, 07:48 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 07:18 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Journalism, I would guess, could not house English whereas English could house journalism.  I'm just not sure.

Oh, yes, that's something I'm suspecting as well.

Thanks for sharing what you have found.

At this moment, I'm planning on doing 5 courses in ENG at Harvard. That said, I'm not 100% sure that I'll be able to stomach more than 1, so it's not like I'm hard-core planning at this point. But, if I can tolerate it, I'll do the 3 at $200, and see if they'll offer the last 2 again next spring if so, I'll probably be signing up. That would be 20 and only $1000. I don't know if you knew this, but there is a youtube "trailer" for the course. I'm sure many people are really excited, this isn't really my lane, but I'm going to give it a go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSNNMdAVvE

Did you sign up?
Thanks. Nice trailer. I'm planning to sign up later.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a path from the Walden Tempo General Psych masters to a licensable degree? studyingfortests 24 3,372 08-23-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Never give up! My path to MBA and beyond. Kaskadian 39 11,958 08-16-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: mrskitty
  My current Masters path vetvso 11 2,586 03-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Last Post: mysonx3