Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a path from the Walden Tempo General Psych masters to a licensable degree?
Hi, all.

I believe I saw a passing reference in a thread to the idea that one can take the Walden Tempo general psych masters and then add additional coursework to qualify for licensure (presumably as an MFT or LPC).

I can see that the Walden info page clearly (though in small print) says it is not a licensable degree, but no info on what's necessary.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience/advice with this?  It seems like it would be a short and cost effective approach, if it is possible.
It depends on your state's licensing board requirements. Some states require that a practicum and internship be a part of a degree program. It's kind of hard to land an internship if you haven't completed a practicum or some other hands-on experience; they expect you to come in with basic skills. At the doctoral level, there are respecialization programs for those who completed a non-licensing doctorate in psychology. For LPC/LMHC and LMFT, you'd have to see if any school offers a post-graduate program that includes an internship. I doubt any school would let you enroll in internship courses without being admitted to a certificate or degree program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Some states like New York have schools that offer what's called a "bridge program" to address licensure in the mental health field when your current credentials don't meet the requirements:

https://www.niagara.edu/bridge-program-c...urriculum/
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • sanantone
(08-14-2021, 05:39 PM)eLearner Wrote: Some states like New York have schools that offer what's called a "bridge program" to address licensure in the mental health field when your current credentials don't meet the requirements:

https://www.niagara.edu/bridge-program-c...urriculum/
That's cool. I learned that Lamar College has a similar 12-month program that meets Texas' requirements. 

https://degree.lamar.edu/programs/certif...ounseling/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • , eLearner
Where I live, something like this will work.  It's a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Psychology.  Obviously, state licensure laws vary.  I don't know if there are online versions but I think an internship or practicum might be involved.
Counseling Psychology Certificate | Northeastern University
It is very difficult to get licensed, let alone prepare for licensed practice with a general psychology degree. The curriculum is not adequate to prepare you for the NCE let alone the real world. If you want to be a licensed mental health professional do yourself a favor and enroll in an appropriate professional counseling (CACREP accredited preferably) or clinical social work program designed for licensure in your state. The other option would be to enroll in an APA accredited psychology doctoral program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeanLewis's post:
  • louise
(08-15-2021, 09:38 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: It is very difficult to get licensed, let alone prepare for licensed practice with a general psychology degree. The curriculum is not adequate to prepare you for the NCE let alone the real world. If you want to be a licensed mental health professional do yourself a favor and enroll in an appropriate professional counseling (CACREP accredited preferably) or clinical social work program designed for licensure in your state. The other option would be to enroll in an APA accredited psychology doctoral program.

I kind of figured as much.  What I was hoping was that I could find a program that would accept a bunch of the credits from the Walden General Psych toward a licensable degree (say MFT or LPC).  The Walden Tempo General program is so inexpensive that it seems like one would save a bundle if this were possible. Alas, it appears it's not to be. Smile
Why not just call Walden University, discuss your plans, and ask what other options exist? I know they offer a ‘Self-designed’ concentration option for MS-Psychology. You can choose to focus on specific areas. Of course, this is not offered in the Tempo format; it is only available in the normal course-based format. Perhaps, you can inquire regarding this. The other option is to complete a Tempo Masters in Psychology, and then do a Psy.D. or a Ph.D. You could choose a concentration that enables licensure.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(08-16-2021, 07:06 AM)Supermind Wrote: The other option is to complete a Tempo Masters in Psychology, and then do a Psy.D. or a Ph.D. You could choose a concentration that enables licensure.

Just as this Walden degree will not qualify you for licensure, it also may not qualify you for admission into a competitive Clinical Doctoral degree program.  These often require a Clinical Masters degree plus some relevant work experience.
(08-16-2021, 06:18 AM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 09:38 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: It is very difficult to get licensed, let alone prepare for licensed practice with a general psychology degree. The curriculum is not adequate to prepare you for the NCE let alone the real world. If you want to be a licensed mental health professional do yourself a favor and enroll in an appropriate professional counseling (CACREP accredited preferably) or clinical social work program designed for licensure in your state. The other option would be to enroll in an APA accredited psychology doctoral program.

I kind of figured as much.  What I was hoping was that I could find a program that would accept a bunch of the credits from the Walden General Psych toward a licensable degree (say MFT or LPC).  The Walden Tempo General program is so inexpensive that it seems like one would save a bundle if this were possible. Alas, it appears it's not to be. Smile

It could still work using Walden, but you'll need a bridge. Just check schools in your area that offer bridge programs like the ones I and Sanantone referenced and that's your way in to licensed counseling. However, you're more likely to find one in Clinical Mental Health Counseling than one specifically in Marriage and Family Counseling or Licensed Pastoral Counseling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 14 520 9 hours ago
Last Post: Leedeedee
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 288 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 747 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 25,236 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 498 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 694 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 389 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,329 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,135 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,119 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac