Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACTFL and NYU language tests for TESU
It's possible to get quite a large number of inexpensive credits by testing for a foreign language (see this thread and Jennifer's article).
  • Is it possible to do different tests in two different languages—either for the ACTFL OPI and WPT tests, or the NYU language tests? What about the same test in two languages?
  • Most importantly (I couldn't find this information on their website), are the ATFL and NYU tests available for international students, or only for US residents?
[-] The following 1 user Likes pws's post:
  • ed209uardo
Where are you from? You can take the tests for multiple languages and get credit for them. For example, if you know German and Spanish, you would be able to get a whopping 24 credits each language and have your UL BALS requirements almost complete.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • pws
Yes, I used ACTFL and received language credits for TESU and UAF.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 3 users Like vetvso's post:
  • cookderosa, pws, Sapientes
(11-17-2018, 11:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Where are you from? You can take the tests for multiple languages and get credit for them. For example, if you know German and Spanish, you would be able to get a whopping 24 credits each language and have your UL BALS requirements almost complete.

Oh, awesome! If many of my brick-and-mortar credits aren't transferrable TESU, I'll do a second language for sure. Smile
You can take multiple exams for a single language, but be careful as there may be some duplication (I don't think we've heard what the NYU tests come in as, but I'm guessing that you can do that AND ACTFL). The reading and listening portions of ACTFL duplicate the CLEP exam. I think ACTFL is definitely your best bet - the least expensive, and most credits (and most UL credits). I would do them sooner rather than later, as the ACE recommendation expires 11/30/18. I imagine they are going to continue on, but there's no guarantee.

You can also do more than 1 language. I would spend my time and money on the ACTFL OPIc and WPT first, and then LPT and RPT.

And yes, foreign students can use them to take any language offered that is not English.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, pws
(11-18-2018, 05:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: [...]

Oh, thanks! I will definitely take them before the end of November.

(11-18-2018, 05:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: and most credits (and most UL credits)

For the TESU BA in English, could any of those UL language credits be added to the area of study courses (or that wouldn't be possible and having UL courses in the other categories wouldn't change much)?
(11-18-2018, 06:04 PM)pws Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: and most credits (and most UL credits)

For the TESU BA in English, could any of those UL language credits be added to the area of study courses (or that wouldn't be possible and having UL courses in the other categories wouldn't change much)?

You can only get credits for FOREIGN languages this way, not the English Language.  So they won't count in English (think of this as a Literature degree, not a language degree).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-17-2018, 11:00 PM)pws Wrote: It's possible to get quite a large number of inexpensive credits by testing for a foreign language (see this thread and Jennifer's article).
  • Is it possible to do different tests in two different languages—either for the ACTFL OPI and WPT tests, or the NYU language tests? What about the same test in two languages?
  • Most importantly (I couldn't find this information on their website), are the ATFL and NYU tests available for international students, or only for US residents?

Thanks for linking to my page pws, but I wrote that in 2016, so I'm hesitant to tell you that it's still 100% accurate. But, I'm always looking for new info- so if you go forward with your plans, I hope you share your results.

edit: Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
(11-19-2018, 10:44 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Thanks for linking to my page pws, but I wrote that in 2016, so I'm hesitant to tell you that it's still 100% accurate.  But, I'm always looking for new info- so if you go forward with your plans, I hope you share your results.

edit:  Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

I've been researching and preparing my degree plan for the past 3 days (now clocking in 37 hours Smile), and asking a bunch of questions from all this research. So grateful for the help on the forum, and eager to give back when I'll be able to! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pws's post:
  • cookderosa
Yes I tested out of ACTFL one full semester with 14 CR it just depends on what you know. English does not count and they can be accepted within multiple schools.

332 Adv. Grammar & Comp. I CR 3.00
333 Adv. Grammar & Comp. II CR 3.00
335 Adv. Comp. & Styl. I CR 4.00
336 Adv. Comp. & Styl. II CR 4.00
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 782 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch