Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS-COLLEGE ALGEBRA MY STORY 8/2018
Frankly, I'm surprised ALEKS even pursued renewal with ACE, but I don't think this new change is unreasonable. I think it would have been a turn-off for customers for their initial assessment to be proctored, so there had to be something added somewhere to improve the integrity of the product. Since >70% or better on the initial assessment granted credit, there were obvious flaws in that system which were exploited by customers. They had to stop that from happening.

Finishing 70% of the pie is reasonable- I would think (though I'm just guessing) that a person should still see a big benefit from doing well on the initial assessment- if you've passed something, it should be filled in on your pie. For someone like me who might score 4% on an initial assessment vs someone scoring 80%, we wouldn't be starting wtih the same pie - at least I would HOPE not.
(08-29-2018, 11:40 AM)Mspeachy Wrote:
The ACE Knowledge check was excruciating. It took me 2 hours and 41 minutes to complete 30 questions. It was full of questions that I never went over throughout my entire course with ALEKS. I only had previous knowledge of about 10 questions, but most of it was new material. It was terrible but with patience, critical thinking and using my best judgement , I somehow passed.
   Undecided

Great job at making it through that! And ty for the additional information. With so much of the new final exam potentially containing uncovered course material, I wonder if they allow retakes if you don't do well on your first attempt. If not, would it be better to complete the entire 400-500 course topics before taking the ACE final exam just to be sure you are actually prepared for it?
I have an active membership and switched between courses to do an initial knowledge check and re-quested another knowledge check, nothing I see brings up an "ACE knowledge check" or anything anywhere to use a lockdown browser...

Curious if your subscription was a personal one or through an actual school?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(08-29-2018, 12:38 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I have an active membership and switched between courses to do an initial knowledge check and re-quested another knowledge check, nothing I see brings up an "ACE knowledge check" or anything anywhere to use a lockdown browser...

Personal 

(08-29-2018, 12:08 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 11:40 AM)Mspeachy Wrote:
The ACE Knowledge check was excruciating. It took me 2 hours and 41 minutes to complete 30 questions. It was full of questions that I never went over throughout my entire course with ALEKS. I only had previous knowledge of about 10 questions, but most of it was new material. It was terrible but with patience, critical thinking and using my best judgement , I somehow passed.
   Undecided

Great job at making it through that! And ty for the additional information. With so much of the new final exam potentially containing uncovered course material, I wonder if they allow retakes if you don't do well on your first attempt. If not, would it be better to complete the entire 400-500 course topics before taking the ACE final exam just to be sure you are actually prepared for it?

Thank you. That would be my suggestion. 
(08-29-2018, 11:18 AM)katelynn Wrote: Hey guys, just wanted to confirm that this is definitely new. I've taken ALEKS College Algebra, College Algebra with Trigonometry, Trigonometry, and Intro to Statistics. None of these courses prompted me to download anything to make sure I had no other programs running in the background.

I just finished Trig and Stats right before the renewal kicked in and didn't have this requirement either. But it sounds like they just started requiring this within the last week or two.

(08-29-2018, 11:18 AM)katelynn Wrote: Some things that I think should be clarified: 
You do have to complete 70% of the pie. 
Scoring 70% on the initial knowledge check doesn't mean you've completed 70% of the pie.
The "eligible to take the ACE knowledge check" part is rather confusing if you haven't used ALEKS. To sum it up, you "learn" topics and then you "master" them.  The knowledge checks test you on your new learned material and then adds more coverage to your pie if you master those topics in the test. The ACE Credit Knowledge Check is new, but probably very similar to the old knowledge checks.

Not to be disagreeable, but you don't (or didn't) have to get anything in the pie to earn credit. The pie represents your progress in the course, but the only thing that matters is the initial assessment and knowledge checks.

In my example, in my initial assessment, I earned an 86% in Trigonometry and a 94% in Intro Statistics and had them both placed on my ACE transcript right then. I didn't complete any of the pie within the course itself. But I spent a month studying using Khan Academy and other free internet resources before I signed up for ALEKS.

The results of your initial assessment (or latest knowledge check) technically represents the percentage of material mastered. So, if you don't get at least a 70% on the initial assessment, then the pie represents your current mastery percentage plus anything you've learned in the ALEKS course materials. The stuff you learn doesn't become mastered until you show mastery via a knowledge check. You need to show 70% mastery, or better, to receive ACE credit.

Of course, it now seems like you have to get 70% or better via knowledge check and then request an ACE knowledge check on top of that using the lockdown browser to get credit. That's really annoying but is basically like taking two knowledge checks back to back. If you can do one you can probably do two.

I hate the 3-hour limit. There is no way I could have completed the assessments in that window with my dyscalculia. It also sounds like you're not allowed to use your own notes for formulas or your own calculator anymore either, which would have killed me as well since my math issues cause me to forget or get formulas confused, among other things. So I have to refer back to my notes a lot and double or triple check my work when running through calculations. Stats had less formulas so that helped a lot in my case, but there is no way I could have passed trig I'm pretty sure.

(08-29-2018, 12:38 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I have an active membership and switched between courses to do an initial knowledge check and re-quested another knowledge check, nothing I see brings up an "ACE knowledge check" or anything anywhere to use a lockdown browser...

You don't have to switch courses to request a knowledge check. You can do it from the master account. When you bring up the views that show the students progress (there are two of these, it's under the first one if I recall) at the bottom of the page there is a button that allows you to request a new knowledge check. I would imagine the ACE knowledge check request would probably be there as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I know, I was just switching courses to see if something different would come up, but it did not.

I didn't want to ruin any progress on the current course I was doing by requesting another knowledge check while I was still doing the initial.

I haven't seen anything that shows these new requirements playing around in it.
Credits:
(08-29-2018, 05:00 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I know, I was just switching courses to see if something different would come up, but it did not.

I didn't want to ruin any progress on the current course I was doing by requesting another knowledge check while I was still doing the initial.

I haven't seen anything that shows these new requirements playing around in it.

Maybe it matters when you subscribed? Perhaps, if you added your current subscription before the new policies kicked in it doesn't affect you yet? That would make sense considering the contractual nature of the agreement.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Hmm, possibly, I hope that is the case! I signed up in early August though...

I had them reset my initial knowledge check a couple weeks back to try it again from scratch.
Credits:
Reading their PDF, the webcam portion seems to be separate for schools that have that as a subscription or something, so it sounds like just the browser is now necessary?
Credits:
I PASSED!!!
Credits:
[-] The following 3 users Like zzzz24's post:
  • badooble, MNomadic, quigongene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 941 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,362 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,154 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,843 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 850 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 909 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,384 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 809 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Study.com and Sophia Partner College Transcripts? acamp 17 1,870 02-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia