Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS Statistics- Torture....
Prloko Wrote:+1 For you! Its also awesome that your family is motivated and jamming out college credits. I recently started home schooling our 15 yr old and this is all new to us. I credit cookderosa and all your guys for giving us the courage to give it a go. But honestly, thought that HACC had really excellent lectures and walked through problems. Mind you though, this was two years ago.

Also, you can see if your local library has the now ancient "Standard Deviants" DVDs. I used the one for finance and it was real good for simplifying some dull and tedious concepts, I believe they had a statistics video also.

You're right about Standard Deviants, I'd forgotten about them! They are on Netflix if you subscribe. Very kid-oriented.
geissingert Wrote:Thank you all! We aren't using college plus anymore. All of your info will certainly help.

You're welcome. Check you private messages.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Geissingert,

I have not received a response from you so wanted to check to see if you know where to locate your inbox/private messages?

If you just haven't gotten to it yet, I apologize for my impatience but I need to take action on a shared access folder more sooner than later.

Take care!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I took ALEKS stats a couple of years ago and it drove me nuts. My question to you is do they really need to know this stuff for future classes or do they just need to check the box?

I can teach math up to Algebra but I can not remember one thing about statistics.

The only way I got through it was to print out every sample question until I had one of each kind, I then used them to find the right equation for the test question. Remember the test (unless it has changed) is not timed so you can take your time looking over the explanations you have printed out to find the right example for that question. I hated this subject and I think it ended up taking me about 100 hours to finish.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks for the detail info on your experience with ALEKS Stats. While I personally don't think 100 hours is all that much time for a concept laden subject such as stats, the sad truth is that you put in the time and did not get anything out of it except some required credits. The math solution set for stats is not very extensive - only 116 ALEKS topics for Stats vs. 582 for Pre-Calc. It is the conceptual understanding of the "big picture" that seems to be so elusive to so many. Yet the set of concepts for Intro Stats isn't all that large either. Something is seriously wrong with everything out there already for this to be a stumbling block especially for smart folks like yourself. My students are all formerly math/test-phobics. ALEKS College Algebra and Pre-Calc. have been a life savior for them given that their natural math talent does not allow them to master topics at a pace better than 2 per hour. Thanks to honest posts in this forum, I can see now that I have my mentor work cut out for me in this subject.
JohnnyHeck Wrote:Thanks for the detail info on your experience with ALEKS Stats. While I personally don't think 100 hours is all that much time for a concept laden subject such as stats, the sad truth is that you put in the time and did not get anything out of it except some required credits. The math solution set for stats is not very extensive - only 116 ALEKS topics for Stats vs. 582 for Pre-Calc. It is the conceptual understanding of the "big picture" that seems to be so elusive to so many. Yet the set of concepts for Intro Stats isn't all that large either. Something is seriously wrong with everything out there already for this to be a stumbling block especially for smart folks like yourself. My students are all formerly math/test-phobics. ALEKS College Algebra and Pre-Calc. have been a life savior for them given that their natural math talent does not allow them to master topics at a pace better than 2 per hour. Thanks to honest posts in this forum, I can see now that I have my mentor work cut out for me in this subject.

100 hours is a long time! That's double what you'd spend in the subject at your community college or high school (although study time outside of class varies).

EDIT: I should post all the words in my brain, lol. I mean that there are big advantages of "getting" to spend that much time on a subject that is considered by many to be hard. If "I" had taken my stats class as a face to face, I may have had to work twice as fast as was comfortable, and potentially end with a lower grade. Through independent study, I learned on my own terms, and had probably as good of an experience as I could have expected considering.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 756 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 497 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 972 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 0 545 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,026 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,365 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,609 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,371 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,692 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii
  College Math CLEP vs. Statistics DSST if not strong in math... S.Tesla 6 1,830 05-23-2019, 06:04 PM