Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALEKS - tips on finishing quickly
Hello,

I haven't been to this forum in a long time.  I'm glad I checked in.  Looks like ALEKS is ACE approved for a few math courses provided they are completed by 31 July 2018.

That's not much time but I'm hoping to knock out College Algebra & Trig and Stats for math Gen Ed requirements.

I took advantage of the 48-hour freebie to get a feel for ALEKS Algebra/Trig.  I scored well so I decided this might be good opportunity to knock out a few ACE-approved credits before the ACE approval expires in less than 2 months.  After the 48-hour freebie, I registered for a new ALEKS account using a different email address than the one I used with the 48-hour freebie. 

I want to knock out College Algebra & Trig asap and move on to Statistics, asap - less than 60 days for both.  What's the quickest way to do this?  I'll be forced to take the initial assessment again as ALEKS thinks I have not taken it at all.  Should I skip every question on the initial assessment which will tell ALEKS I have no knowledge of College Algebra/TRIG and it will take me directly to the pie chart to start the course.  OR... should I do my best on the initial assessment (I scored well on the initial assessment in the 48-hour trial)?  Will that result in ALEKS giving me a smaller set of algebra problems?

I've studied college algebra & TRIG using Khan Academy so this is an exercise in completing the course in order to obtain ACE credit.  

I've read some people hate ALEKS b/c if they don't score 70% or better, it seems like it takes forever to get through the math problems.  I hope ACE will extend the ALEKS courses it has currently approved.  However, I'm operating on the assumption that it will not and I need to be finished with Algebra/TRIG & Statistics by the last day of July.  

Can you help me determine which strategy is best to use to get >70% so I can apply for ACE credit?

Thank you!  Smile
First, why did you use a different account and start over? It seems like you could have used the first account.

Anyway, one thing you can do is "force" an assessment. When you sign up, you should have gotten a student account (where you do the work) and a master account (or parent account). That's where you go in and change things, or request assessments the next time the student logs in. So do some work, force an assessment, and shoot for the 70%.

You could use the 1st account for algebra & trig, and the 2nd account for stats, that way you can work your way through college algebra, then switch to trig when that's done; this gives you a little more time to finish all 3 courses. Because with ALEKS, on one account, you can only do one course at a time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • acamp
Yes if you do well on one type of problem, ALEKS won't make you practice that type. Some people even pass based on their first try at the initial assessment, and that is the quickest. Otherwise, practice the parts you think will get you to 70% overall, and force a new assessment.

Thanks for your reply, Dfrecore.

(06-02-2018, 10:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, why did you use a different account and start over?  It seems like you could have used the first account.

I did the 48-hour trial so I could see if I liked the format of ALEKS.  I started over b/c I only answered approximately 60% of the questions on the initial assessment.  Even though ALEKS allowed me 48 hours, that turned out to be a very busy 48-hours for me and I didn't have time to answer all the questions.  I answered "I don't know" for some questions which would have required too much time.  Now that I have created a new account and since the initial assessment does not seem to be a timed evaluation, I can devote all the time necessary to carefully work through each problem in the initial assessment.     

(06-02-2018, 10:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Anyway, one thing you can do is "force" an assessment.  When you sign up, you should have gotten a student account (where you do the work) and a master account (or parent account).  That's where you go in and change things, or request assessments the next time the student logs in.  So do some work, force an assessment, and shoot for the 70%.

Great tip. Thank you!

(06-02-2018, 10:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You could use the 1st account for algebra & trig, and the 2nd account for stats, that way you can work your way through college algebra, then switch to trig when that's done; this gives you a little more time to finish all 3 courses.  Because with ALEKS, on one account, you can only do one course at a time.

I would not have thought of this.  I need to stick with one course at the time but this is an interesting concept for those people skilled enough to tackle algebra/trig and statistics at the same time.
Also once you get to the 70% or above, you add it to your ACE transcript right away and then wait until it is approved before moving on to the next course.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • acamp
(06-02-2018, 11:02 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes if you do well on one type of problem, ALEKS won't make you practice that type. Some people even pass based on their first try at the initial assessment, and that is the quickest. Otherwise, practice the parts you think will get you to 70% overall, and force a new assessment.

Thank you Ideas!  That's good to know as I was not aware we could pass the entire course based on the results of the initial assessment.  This is a darned good reason to start over with a new account.  Plowing through the initial assessment to get to the pie chart and work through hundreds of problems is fine for those who need to learn but since I've already mostly mastered the math courses using Khan, if I can take the initial assessments, score >70% and apply for ACE credit, that's the best news I've heard in a long time ... related to obtaining credit quickly and inexpensively.

(06-03-2018, 08:41 AM)allvia Wrote: Also once you get to the 70% or above, you add it to your ACE transcript right away and then wait until it is approved before moving on to the next course.

Thank you Allvia!  Good advice.  I will definitely add the course to my ACE transcript immediately upon completion.  I don't understand the waiting period - why do we need to wait for ACE to approve it before we move on to the next course?
(06-03-2018, 08:43 AM)rvm Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 11:02 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes if you do well on one type of problem, ALEKS won't make you practice that type. Some people even pass based on their first try at the initial assessment, and that is the quickest. Otherwise, practice the parts you think will get you to 70% overall, and force a new assessment.

Thank you Ideas!  That's good to know as I was not aware we could pass the entire course based on the results of the initial assessment.  This is a darned good reason to start over with a new account.  Plowing through the initial assessment to get to the pie chart and work through hundreds of problems is fine for those who need to learn but since I've already mostly mastered the math courses using Khan, if I can take the initial assessments, score >70% and apply for ACE credit, that's the best news I've heard in a long time ... related to obtaining credit quickly and inexpensively.

(06-03-2018, 08:41 AM)allvia Wrote: Also once you get to the 70% or above, you add it to your ACE transcript right away and then wait until it is approved before moving on to the next course.

Thank you Allvia!  Good advice.  I will definitely add the course to my ACE transcript immediately upon completion.  I don't understand the waiting period - why do we need to wait for ACE to approve it before we move on to the next course?

Once you switch courses within ALEKS you basically wipe out the passing assessment history of the course you're trying to get credit in, and start fresh in the new course. At least it used to, and people here had reported some issues getting it approved -  it's been awhile since I earned credits through ALEKS, maybe someone here knows if this has changed? On the upside they do approve ACE requests quite quickly (generally the next business day)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Based on what I've read so far, if I can get 70% or better on the initial assessment, I can request credit at that point.  Since time is of the essence in this situation - because ACE's approval of ALEKS courses expires in less than 60 days - I should verify this with or ACE or ALEKS to ensure the policy is current.  I don't want to spend excessive time on the initial assessment in order to score >70% and then find out I need to complete another assessment in order to get credit.

Anyone pass the initial assessment and request credit in the past few months - since ACE re-approved these ALEKS courses?
(06-03-2018, 10:13 AM)rvm Wrote: Based on what I've read so far, if I can get 70% or better on the initial assessment, I can request credit at that point.  Since time is of the essence in this situation - because ACE's approval of ALEKS courses expires in less than 60 days - I should verify this with or ACE or ALEKS to ensure the policy is current.  I don't want to spend excessive time on the initial assessment in order to score >70% and then find out I need to complete another assessment in order to get credit.

Anyone pass the initial assessment and request credit in the past few months - since ACE re-approved these ALEKS courses?

You don't have to set up a new account for any of this, and you don't have to work through problems to learn the material if you don't want to.  Again, if you just force an assessment, you can score 70% on it and pass the course.  If you don't get 70% (say 69%), force another assessment.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you Dfrecore. Good advice. I should have taken time to post my question to this before registering for a new account with ALEKS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com - any trick to moving quickly through course material? chicagohh 8 1,189 08-28-2023, 06:07 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,312 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  SDC proctor tips? Kones 9 1,032 03-12-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 618 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Has anyone finished Saylor classes quickly? If so what is your go-to study method? theglassboxman 21 3,707 04-04-2022, 05:22 AM
Last Post: jch
  Tips for accelerating Study.com courses? AW84 12 5,899 03-23-2022, 03:08 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,017 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  ALEKS Badges via Acclaim Toastmaster 6 1,346 01-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kab
  How to get ALEKS badge added to Acclaim ashkir 0 1,024 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM
  ALEKS is expiring. gams007 9 1,952 11-13-2020, 07:49 PM