Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASNSM in Computer Science TESU (Or other) Plan?
Hi all,

It's been a painful 4 years with DS who changes majors and college plans every few weeks.   (Don't blame him, he has severe ADHD thank god he has an extremely high IQ or we'd be in trouble)

Anyhow, after what I think might be a final "come to Jesus" moment, we have decided that he should use his credits to get an associates degree, so that he at least has SOMETHING to show for all his work.   The ultimate goal is a bachelor's, but he's 22 and well, if it happens, it happens, if not, at least we're trying.     In perusing the forum and talking to him about his interests, we think that the ASNSM in Computer Science might get more bang for his buck than others and he seems interested.

I searched, but didn't quickly see a plan.  Did I miss it?  Can anyone post a link or does anyone have a degree plan handy?   I'm not nearly as skilled planning out TESU plans as I am with COSC, so this is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!!!
Scarlett
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
It would help if you posted what credits he has earned.  I'm getting an ASNSM in Computer Science in addition to the BSBA.  I already had all the LL CS credits required, and it wasn't going to cost me any extra - plus I don't believe in leaving any earned credits behind Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Great idea posting what he already has. From his B&M time, he has passed the following classes:
Psych 101
Speech
Western Civ
Intro to Religion
College mathematics
English Comp I

He has passed DSST:
Intro to Computing
Substance Abuse

I know it doesn't look like a lot for the amount of time he's been studying, but the amount of heartache and pain in understanding what works with his particular learning disabilities has been a lengthy process. For example, we have done at least 15 CLEP/DSST's and found out that he is NOT a good test taker, so we won't go that route. He also doesn't do well with ALEKS, but is handling SL's English compn II and Statistics right now like a champ.

Lastly, the positive side of this is that he has been top employee at the jobs he's held, even getting recommended by managers. So I know that once we get through the hell that is school (for him anyhow,) life will go on well. I'm just stressed to the max trying to find a plan that will work for him.

THANK YOU!!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
The "other" plan would be better unless you know that your son will finish the Bachelors within a year time of finishing the Associates. I would recommend the ASNSM Comp Science en route to the BSBA or BALS. It's just too "expensive" if he misses the 1 year cut-off for the residency waiver. Basically, that's 1800 right there!

The solution, get him a WV CC BOG AAS, before he finishes his ASNSM Comp Sci and/or his Bachelor's degree. The AAS degree is going to only cost you TRANSCRIPTS, and nothing else vs $1800, grad fee of $332, app fee of $75 for the ASNSM. Further to that, he can have an AAS with an "emphasis" in whatever (Comp Sci/Info Systems, etc) if there is an emphasis of 15 credits in that area.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-29-2018, 07:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The "other" plan would be better unless you know that your son will finish the Bachelors within a year time of finishing the Associates.  I would recommend the ASNSM Comp Science en route to the BSBA or BALS.  It's just too "expensive" if he misses the 1 year cut-off for the residency waiver.  Basically, that's 1800 right there!

The solution, get him a WV CC BOG AAS, before he finishes his ASNSM Comp Sci and/or his Bachelor's degree.  The AAS degree is going to only cost you TRANSCRIPTS, and nothing else vs $1800, grad fee of $332, app fee of $75 for the ASNSM.  Further to that, he can have an AAS with an "emphasis" in whatever (Comp Sci/Info Systems, etc) if there is an emphasis of 15 credits in that area.

I'm intrigued.    Sorry for the dumb question, but I've been off the forum for a while...     What is the WV CC BOG AAS?       I don't recognize the school.

Thanks!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
burbuja0512 Wrote:I'm intrigued.    Sorry for the dumb question, but I've been off the forum for a while...     What is the WV CC BOG AAS?       I don't recognize the school.

Thanks!

"Psst... I can't tell you or else I'll have to date you...and my wife won't like that... oh, I meant to ignore that, read below."

West Virginia community colleges (all 10 of them) have a Board of Governors Associates of Applied Science that require 12 Regionally Accredited college credits as a requirement, you can complete the rest from ACE. You need to choose Pierpont or WVNCC as both of them do not require residency credits of 3 at their school, some require that you take a course at their college.

Your son already has 18 credits from a community college, they'll transfer just fine to PierPont or West Virginia Northern Community College. It'll take a while for them to complete everything (about 2 months), but your son can get that done first, then move onto the Bachelors at TESU (get the ASNSM on the way to the Bachelors FREE - that's another story).

Basic requirements: 21 general education credits, 39 general electives, 15 in area of emphasis if you want
Pierpont: https://www.pierpont.edu/ac/programs/board-governors
WVNCC: http://www.wvncc.edu/programs-of-study/b...rogram/494
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • burbuja0512
WV BOG stands for West Virginia Board of Governors, and this program is intended to help students get an AAS degree cheaply and easily from a WV community college.

Search for Pierpont and WVNCC in the threads. West Virginia Northern CC used to be a good choice for this, but they've added a residency requirement. Pierpont will still let you transfer everything in. The only requirement is that you have at least 12 credits from an RA school, which is really common around here.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Ohhhhhhh wow.... *mind blown*

I just searched using some of these terms and seems like I have a lot more to do. The credits from the RA school are no problem as all of the B&M credits he has are from the local RA CC.

So, my question as I research this: If my son only ends up with a single degree, and if it has to be an associates, (With his learning issues, this may very well be the case) is this still the way to go? I really like free and we've spent a FORTUNE on failed B&M classes and CLEP tests, but want to make sure that this will count.

Also, I'm assuming that someone has a plan for this on the forum? Don't worry... I'm digging now.. I'll find one unless you guys have one handy to save some searching.

Thanks so much again for these great ideas. I am truly at my wits' end, so this is exceedingly useful!!
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
To be honest, I don't think it matters which associate's. The main use for an associate's is to set the person apart from a high school graduate. The ASNSM CS might be helpful if he wants to get on a helpdesk or maybe a job as a tester. If you think he will do especially well in the math and computer courses and the fees are not a showstopper, then it might be worth it, but I'd say until he decides to study diligently because he's motivated from within, you'd be better taking the path of least resistance.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
For the BOG he also has to be out of High School for two years.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • burbuja0512

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 281 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,323 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 606 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,252 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 592 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 429 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,102 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 409 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az