Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ASU credit for $99 until 08-17-2020!
Easiest classes so far?
TESU - BA CS
(06-18-2020, 02:10 AM)inf Wrote: Easiest classes so far?

For me, easiest is Astronomy. Unlike the other classes, you have 3 tries to get things correct except for with quizzes and the final exam. The other classes are more "realistic" in that you only get one shot to get things right. I think the Astronomy way gives me more of a chance to actually learn, though, as well as making it easier.

Health & Wellness is probably the hardest, even though I had thought it would be one of the easiest. There is a lot of extra reading. And you have to make 4 posts on the discussion board each week for credit. 

Similarly with human origins. Week 1 was also super boring. I am hoping that it will get more interesting, but the Cerego cards make me doubt that it will. There are a lot more human ancestors and human cousins than I thought and it appears that you have to learn the Latin names and origins of each one. I'm not saying that this doesn't make sense, but it's not very exciting learning either.

Western Civ doesn't seem to be focused on exact dates *knock on wood*, only in knowing which thing happened first and which thing happened second. If the course continues along in this vein, I will be very happy. I like history but trying to remember exact dates for things is frustrating and challenging. 

So, IMO, the easiest ones are Astronomy and Western Civilization.
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • alab21, inf, jch
I've taken Human Origins, Western Civ, Health &Wellness, Sociology, the self-paced Eng 101, and currently in Astronomy and Human Communication.
To me, Health & Wellness was easy. A good chunk of it is common sense. Western Civ was second-easiest.
Human Origins was a pain because I can't remember from Anthepicanus Africanus and Hippopatumus Rickrollicus and all these genus and species stuff. Goes in one eye and out the other and was just an absolute bore.
If you've taken communications courses or psychology, Sociology is easy. Eng 101 is all self-assessment so it's a grind to put out all the material, but you're grading yourself, so you just make sure you do enough to give yourself full marks.
Western Civ was a breeze for me personally because I'd very recently taken Art history I and II via sophia... a lot of the art and architecture overlap with that quite a bit. I've also long read about ancient Rome and ancient Greece and watched a lot of pre-alien history channel because it's a subject of much interest. As a history buff it's just never not fascinating to me.
To me, Astronomy is by far the hardest. It has the heaviest workload of quizzes and content mastery and extracurricular projects and then those dreaded MATH LABS! (I hate math.) It's really interesting but for me it's a real bear to slog through all the content.
Keep in mind for most of these courses, the quizzes/homework are open book exept for the proctored Final (with only a couple of exceptions.) If you put in the 'legwork' of referencing the material, you can earn a good grade. Also, you can't get less than 100 on each Content Mastery. Those modules repeat by design until you get everything right and are very helpful in prepping for the quizzes most of the time.
There's no upfront cost (currently) and if you do poorly, there's no obligation to put it on your transcript. Sign up for everything and drop what you don't like if that's your style.
It's no-risk, high reward. Try everything and see what you like.
[-] The following 3 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • bluebooger, eriehiker, inf
(06-19-2020, 12:26 PM)raycathode Wrote: I've taken Human Origins, Western Civ, Health &Wellness, Sociology, the self-paced Eng 101, and currently in Astronomy and Human Communication.
To me, Health & Wellness was easy. A good chunk of it is common sense. Western Civ was second-easiest.
Human Origins was a pain because I can't remember from Anthepicanus Africanus and Hippopatumus Rickrollicus and all these genus and species stuff. Goes in one eye and out the other and was just an absolute bore.
If you've taken communications courses or psychology, Sociology is easy. Eng 101 is all self-assessment so it's a grind to put out all the material, but you're grading yourself, so you just make sure you do enough to give yourself full marks.
Western Civ was a breeze for me personally because I'd very recently taken Art history I and II via sophia... a lot of the art and architecture overlap with that quite a bit. I've also long read about ancient Rome and ancient Greece and watched a lot of pre-alien history channel because it's a subject of much interest. As a history buff it's just never not fascinating to me.
To me, Astronomy is by far the hardest. It has the heaviest workload of quizzes and content mastery and extracurricular projects and then those dreaded MATH LABS! (I hate math.) It's really interesting but for me it's a real bear to slog through all the content.
Keep in mind for most of these courses, the quizzes/homework are open book exept for the proctored Final (with only a couple of exceptions.) If you put in the 'legwork' of referencing the material, you can earn a good grade. Also, you can't get less than 100 on each Content Mastery. Those modules repeat by design until you get everything right and are very helpful in prepping for the quizzes most of the time.
There's no upfront cost (currently) and if you do poorly, there's no obligation to put it on your transcript. Sign up for everything and drop what you don't like if that's your style.

I’m in Astronomy right now. I’m really enjoying it and I like the Professor, he’s entertaining and informative. I get the frustration with the labs, though. Particularly if you hate math or haven’t had a refresher in a while. Each week there are some easy lab questions, some more challenging questions and 1-3 that are a bit of a gut punch. Luckily, the Discussion forums are very helpful. Quiz 2 is closed book and it had a couple of challenging lab style questions that were unfamiliar. :/ I needed a margarita after that quiz this week. Lol. Quiz 1&3 are open book, so we’ve been able to look up things and find help. I’m looking forward to open book again on Quiz 3.

Students need to be really comfortable with rearranging formulas and combining formulas or doing multi step problems with multiple formulas. They’re all pretty much word problems. Also, nearly every problem requires unit conversions, often with less familiar units. Most things need to be changed from Km, AU, Lightyears, nm, etc to m. Or hours, days, years, to seconds. Then there’s the odd formula that doesn’t require conversion and mixes them, just to keep things interesting I guess. Lol. And every problem uses scientific notation. I think the math isn’t terribly hard, but the unfamiliar units, formulas and nearly 100% use of scientific notation makes it feel harder and definitely more confusing, particularly if the units aren’t specified in the formula. I’m thinking this Astronomy course might be a nice primer to transition to college physics courses.

I’m getting really comfortable with the scientific calculator lately, between this class, the Sophia College Algebra and Statistics classes I finished last month, and now the self paced ASU College Algebra course. I used to hate math, but I’m kinda jammin on it these days. I wish all RA college courses were low stress like this, with the option to repeat with no record of failure. It’s way less stressful as an adult with a busy life.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 2 users Like alab21's post:
  • karenmandatos, rachel83az
I'm confused now...

If i start Brief Calculus on august 18

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/brief-calculus-mat-210

An i finish it on January 2021... i pay 99$ or 400$ ??
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(07-09-2020, 09:03 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: I'm confused now...

If i start Brief Calculus on august 18

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/brief-calculus-mat-210

An i finish it on January 2021... i pay 99$ or 400$ ??

If you start in August: $99
If you start in January: $400+$25
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(06-23-2020, 03:24 AM)alab21 Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 12:26 PM)raycathode Wrote: I've taken Human Origins, Western Civ, Health &Wellness, Sociology, the self-paced Eng 101, and currently in Astronomy and Human Communication.  

I’m in Astronomy right now. I’m really enjoying it and I like the Professor, he’s entertaining and informative. I get the frustration with the labs, though. Particularly if you hate math or haven’t had a refresher in a while. Each week there are some easy lab questions, some more challenging questions and 1-3 that are a bit of a gut punch. Luckily, the Discussion forums are very helpful. Quiz 2 is closed book and it had a couple of challenging lab style questions that were unfamiliar. :/ I needed a margarita after that quiz this week. Lol. Quiz 1&3 are open book, so we’ve been able to look up things and find help. I’m looking forward to open book again on Quiz 3.

Students need to be really comfortable with rearranging formulas and combining formulas or doing multi step problems with multiple formulas. They’re all pretty much word problems. Also, nearly every problem requires unit conversions, often with less familiar units. Most things need to be changed from Km, AU, Lightyears, nm, etc to m. Or hours, days, years, to seconds. Then there’s the odd formula that doesn’t require conversion and mixes them, just to keep things interesting I guess. Lol. And every problem uses scientific notation. I think the math isn’t terribly hard, but the unfamiliar units, formulas and nearly 100% use of scientific notation makes it feel harder and definitely more confusing, particularly if the units aren’t specified in the formula. I’m thinking this Astronomy course might be a nice primer to transition to college physics courses.

I’m getting really comfortable with the scientific calculator lately, between this class, the Sophia College Algebra and Statistics classes I finished last month, and now the self paced ASU College Algebra course. I used to hate math, but I’m kinda jammin on it these days. I wish all RA college courses were low stress like this, with the option to repeat with no record of failure. It’s way less stressful as an adult with a busy life.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

This Astronomy course is 4 credits instead of 3, it include lab??
Is this course + lab accepted for as lab course for TESU and COSC??

If it is accepted it is a good offer, it is cheaper that BIO+LAB from Study.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes karenmandatos's post:
  • jch
According to https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit, AST 111 transfers in as 3 credits: AST 101 for 3 credits. But depending on how the ASU transcript is, it may also include AST 113 which would transfer into TESU as AST 119, a 1-credit lab.

This last lab was killer. I do wish that there was more time in the class devoted to how the lab math questions work. It's not always clear what units are expected to be plugged into the formulas. Very frustrating. Fortunately, unless I'm reading my grades incorrectly, I should be good to get credit for the class even if I flunk my final.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
(07-11-2020, 12:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: According to https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit, AST 111 transfers in as 3 credits: AST 101 for 3 credits. But depending on how the ASU transcript is, it may also include AST 113 which would transfer into TESU as AST 119, a 1-credit lab.

This last lab was killer. I do wish that there was more time in the class devoted to how the lab math questions work. It's not always clear what units are expected to be plugged into the formulas. Very frustrating. Fortunately, unless I'm reading my grades incorrectly, I should be good to get credit for the class even if I flunk my final.

I like maths i think i can take it, i still have a chance to take it on august 18.

How classes are? Recorded videos or zoom classes??
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(07-11-2020, 09:25 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: I like maths i think i can take it, i still have a chance to take it on august 18.

How classes are? Recorded videos or zoom classes??

Information is in prerecorded videos that are a few years old, which you can tell from statements like "We will be doing XYZ in 2017." I usually watch all ASU videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed because the instructors tend to have lengthy pauses while speaking.

The instructor does do one or two live sessions for students to ask questions, but these are optional and you can watch them later (questions are submitted on the discussion board). I've attached one of the first documents that you're expected to download so you can start familiarizing yourself with the formulas now.

Although called "all the math", it doesn't really cover all the math (IMO) that you'll need to know for the course. For instance, one of the last questions in the last lab is about how much mass (fuel) you need to get a spaceship of a certain size to go to a certain percentage of the speed of light. The instructor says that it's covered elsewhere in the course but I had to look on another site for that formula and am still vaguely confused (once I had the right formula, I did get the correct answer); I think I understand now, but not 100% sure. I don't know if I'm just oblivious or obtuse regarding the use of some of the formulas.

Attached Files
.pdf   all_the_math.pdf (Size: 47.7 KB / Downloads: 18)
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • cecilgambe7, jch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,087 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  TAMUC Free 3 Credit Course Winter Mini Term Tedium 10 1,995 12-17-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks
  Free non-credit classes from COSC rachel83az 2 893 06-29-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free non-credit certificates rachel83az 0 952 06-29-2022, 01:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE 1-credit online Clackamas CC Intro To Library Research Course - RA and Graded! ctcarl 30 7,424 04-01-2022, 12:22 PM
  Free Spanish course (no credit) rachel83az 4 1,161 03-27-2022, 01:22 PM
  Free Oracle Cloud Certification until Feb 28. Credit transfer? asianphd 1 931 02-05-2022, 09:43 AM
  free 7 credit course gams007 10 2,239 01-06-2022, 12:57 PM
  Oakton CC: Free 7 Credit Web Design Class 4 Vulnerable Populations eriehiker 59 7,816 07-01-2021, 02:03 PM
  Non-Credit Courses on Canvas Network archsvt 0 762 06-29-2021, 05:30 PM
Last Post: archsvt