Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Johns Hopkins University AAP
Its been quite awhile since I last posted on this forum, but what prompted me to do so this time is that I wanted to tell you about another great option for grad school - Johns Hopkins University's Advanced Academic Programs.

Last summer I had decided I wanted my master's degree to be in government. I had determined that the two programs that met my requirements - online, relatively inexpensive, rigorous - were down to the Harvard Extension School and the Johns Hopkins University. I applied at the latter program because they did not have a requirement to spend a semester or two at the campus, unlike HES.

What shocked me was that I was accepted, although at the same time it was not shocking. Their entrance requirements require two or three professional or academic references, an essay and an application. One might think that without a rigorous vetting process the program was not as rigorous. I discovered quickly this was not so.

My degree concentration is in Security Studies, and one of my courses was in the Art and Practice of Intelligence. It was taught by a retired intelligence analyst who had worked in the intelligence community for over twenty years. She brought much insight into the program, and I came to respect what intelligence officers do.

I also had a course in Legislative Policymaking. It was taught by a person who had worked for various governmental committees and most of my fellow classmates work or have worked for various government entities. From this class I got to see how policy is made and interpreted by the courts, the agencies, by the president and by law. It gave me a better understanding of the complexity of the administrative state.

My current term I am taking a course in International Political Economy. Though the professor lives and works in Ireland, he is top notch. He is the top economist for the Senead Eireann - Senate of Ireland. He also oversaw the Irish bailout from the EU.

The thesis requirement is a bit unique, in that it is supposed to be a three part portfolio. You take three thesis courses where you write a minimum 25 page paper in each, writing a similar type theme and then in the final course you connect them together into a cohesive whole by inserting your unique observations of how they are connected.

If you are considering JHU, I'd highly recommend it.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
[-] The following 1 user Likes corpsole2's post:
  • studiousimp
Inexpensive? The cheapest option I see is roughly 3000$ per class x 9 courses = 27000 and that's the MA in writing.

Are you paying out of pocket for the security degree?

If I had a spare 30,000 grand lying around and or got tuition reimbursement. I would do the part time MA in Writing. It really looks like an interesting program. Seems like a nice little backdoor option to a John Hopkins degree.

It would be mainly for personal reasons. I do not want to go into debt.

Looks like the lowest cost is 2500 per course to just over 4000 per course depending on the program you are in.
corpsole2 Wrote:If you are considering JHU, I'd highly recommend it.

Well, I wasn't until you mentioned it....ya know, I'm pretty easily obsessed.:confused: Hummm.....
yb1 Wrote:Inexpensive? The cheapest option I see is roughly 3000$ per class x 9 courses = 27000 and that's the MA in writing.

If I had a spare 30,000 grand lying around and or got tuition reimbursement. I would do the part time MA in Writing. It really looks like an interesting program. Seems like a nice little backdoor option to a John Hopkins degree.

Looks like the lowest cost is 2500 per course to just over 4000 per course depending on the program you are in.

It's 7 grand for the degree, 20 grand for the pedigree. Still, I don't think 27 is *that* high for grad school, I'd pay 27 for a JHU degree- also at Harvard. The work is all the same, and they all check the box, but that's a very prestigious addition to any resume.

EDIT to add: here's the list
Graduate Degree Programs
Applied Economics
Bioinformatics
Biotechnology
Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
Communication
Energy Policy and Climate
Environmental Sciences and Policy
Food Safety Regulation
Geographic Information Systems
Government
Government Analytics
Master of Liberal Arts
Museum Studies
Regulatory Science
Research Administration
Science Writing

http://advanced.jhu.edu/academics/online-programs/
cookderosa Wrote:It's 7 grand for the degree, 20 grand for the pedigree. Still, I don't think 27 is *that* high for grad school, I'd pay 27 for a JHU degree- also at Harvard. The work is all the same, and they all check the box, but that's a very prestigious addition to any resume.

EDIT to add: here's the list
Graduate Degree Programs
Applied Economics
Bioinformatics
Biotechnology
Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
Communication
Energy Policy and Climate
Environmental Sciences and Policy
Food Safety Regulation
Geographic Information Systems
Government
Government Analytics
Master of Liberal Arts
Museum Studies
Regulatory Science
Research Administration
Science Writing

Online Programs | Advanced Academic Programs | Johns Hopkins University

What is a pedigree?

Where do you get the 7 grand from? (Am I missing something?)

Don't get me wrong the writing program to me sounds awesome. Also the global security program which op is in, sounds tempting. I just don't have 30,000 and I don't make anywhere near enough money where that becomes a viable option. I don't want to take out loans for my degree. I want to pay as I go.

This school will remain on my radar for the next couple years. Hopefully they don't change the requirements because it already fits the bill for everything at least for a writing program. It's mainly the name that has me interested.

It would be cool if they had a cyber security or IT related program.

In a personal finance stance I can't justify spending 30,000 for a degree for fiction Writing. It would only be for personal enrichment and personal gain.

http://advanced.jhu.edu/academics/certif...uirements/ This looks to be the closest thin to anything info sec related
It's a joke. She's basically saying that you're paying for the name. JHU is considered a prestigious school.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I've looked at this program. For most people the price is not too high for a graduate degree from a school like JHU. For the prices we're accustomed to on this forum it may sound like a fortune, but when my fiance intended to focus on non-profit management my first choice was the JHU program. She's changed focus, but I still think the program looks great.

Things vary from person to person, and I wouldn't suggest it for someone needing a check the box degree. However, for someone new to a field that needs to impress with very little work history....a big name school doesn't hurt. When your resume is less than 1/4 of a page, it doesn't hurt to name drop.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
yb1 Wrote:What is a pedigree?

Where do you get the 7 grand from? (Am I missing something?)

Admissions Requirements | Advanced Academic Programs | Johns Hopkins University This looks to be the closest thin to anything info sec related

"Pedigree" is the name and heritage of the school that make it prestigious. John Hopkins NAME has weight. I could drop you down in the middle of the rainforest or glacier, and people who have never been to USA or speak English all know what Harvard is. It's a joke, meaning you could pick up "any" degree for 7 grand (ish) but you're paying for the name.

That said, there are plenty of degrees on that list that don't lead to employment of ANY KIND, so buyer beware.

I looked at the cost of grad school differently, but each person should think "big picture" and obviously make their own mind up.
For me, I looked at undergrad + graduate = cost of my education. Since my undergrad was so cheap, I had no issues spending more on my graduate degree. My AA, BA, and MS together were less than what most people spend on the first 2 years of their BA.

In my opinion, since grad school is only 30ish credits and an undergrad is 120, you get significantly more bang for your buck spending as little money as possible on your undergrad and saving your money for the best graduate school for your field/profession.
yb1 Wrote:Inexpensive? The cheapest option I see is roughly 3000$ per class x 9 courses = 27000 and that's the MA in writing.

$27k for a masters doesn't seem out of line to me. What is a "cheap" masters, a competency based one that would cost you 1/2 that for presumably information you already know. That is good to "check the box" and it's something I would consider for an MBA myself, but I have been in business for 25 years. Now if I was looking for an MPA concentrating on public policy for example I would defiantly consider JHU. Thank you.

Learning totally new material and ways of thinking from people who lived it and know how to communicate it at a fraction of the an on-campus costs sounds good to me, but to each their own.
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
It is definitely for the pedigree, but the learning is top notch. Since I want to get into foreign policy as either a diplomat or a correspondent, the degree is great. Not to mention, government agencies and non profits actively recruit from this program and from the SAIS (School of Advanced International Studies). I even had the chance to be considered for a position with the World Bank - something that might not have happened if I stayed in a state school.

It is mainly a program for working adults, akin to what we are used to in places like TESU. I don't think I have fellow students who are under 30 or have no working experience. In my class on Intelligence, one student worked on cyber security, another was an S2 (intelligence) and a Captain in the 101st Airborne Division, and others worked on corporate security. So, you glean much from their experiences and how they apply the knowledge we are learning.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 280 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 751 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,956 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,160 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 507 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,344 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 374 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,732 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 672 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,313 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel