Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Area of Study (Part 2) - TESU
Soooooo, I reached out to Academic Advising via email to see if I can add the Entrepreneurship Area of Study (AOS) to by BSBA: General Management.

From my initial review, it looked like I only needed to take three additional requirements.  Small Business Management (or Introduction to Entrepreneurship), Small Business Finance, and Small Business Market Research.

So, I emailed Academic Advising to see if I could just take the required courses through Study.com (SDC) and transfer them over.

Well, i got this email back:

Quote:If you add the BSBA in Entrepreneurship to your file, you may not overlap any courses between this area of study and the General Management area. You'd have to complete both areas of study with different courses. A potential evaluation for Entrepreneurship is on file for you to review.

If you want to add it, please confirm so in your response and then we'll review the Study.com courses you mentioned.

Okay.........

So I went over to Online Student Services and checked out the Eval....

1.  They want me to take 3cr in Ethics (Even though I already have 2Cr in Ethics, and the other credit was waived.)
2.  They want me to take the Cornerstone (Lifelong Learning Strategies)
3.  They want me to take 9 credits (3 classess) of Small Business Electives....I can't use the ones I already have applied to the BSBA.
4.  And of course, the Small Business Management (or Introduction to Entrepreneurship), Small Business Finance, and Small Business Market Research.  WHICH THEY WON'T EVEN TELL ME if it transfers from Study.com yet...until I respond...even though they could have just answered the question.

My thing is this.....do you guys and gals think I should ask someone else?  Because I'm not sure if this is right.  In my understanding, adding an Area of Study shouldn't need all of this.  What do you think?

Thank you for your help!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
If ethics was wavied before it should be wavied again.

Cornerstone maybe wavied just within BSBA, not sure. Was while back they changed cornerstone rules.

They don't like telling people what courses work with AOS that are not currently in your academic evaluation. Gives them a lot of extra work to do I guess people naming a bunch of courses for degrees people aren't currently taking.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Toastmaster *smack*, dude, you're adding another program and therefore it's listed as another degree, second degree's have the new 2021 requirements. You don't need to do anything but an unofficial academic evaluation and note down what's missing for the Entrepreneurship degree. Once you have this unofficial academic requirements done OR if you want to keep the original degree program with the new 2021 requirements for the Entrepreneurship showing, the AOS should be identical. Just finish the those AOS courses and then delete the second program from your list.

In order to add a second AOS to a degree, it's different than adding another degree into your program list. You don't do it that way, you submit it through a form, this is the same for adding another associates or certificate to your BSBA. You're adding a second area of study, don't add a second program to your evaluation list as that will create a second degree out of it. View the "How do I apply for graduation?" area of this Link: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-17-2020, 07:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Toastmaster *smack*, dude, you're adding another program and therefore it's listed as another degree, second degree's have the new 2021 requirements.  You don't need to do anything but an unofficial academic evaluation and note down what's missing for the Entrepreneurship degree.  Once you have this unofficial academic requirements done OR if you want to keep the original degree program with the new 2021 requirements for the Entrepreneurship showing, the AOS should be identical.  Just finish the those AOS courses and then delete the second program from your list.

In order to add a second AOS to a degree, it's different than adding another degree into your program list.  You don't do it that way, you submit it through a form, this is the same for adding another associates or certificate to your BSBA.  You're adding a second area of study, don't add a second program to your evaluation list as that will create a second degree out of it.  View the "How do I apply for graduation?" area of this Link: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

Maybe.  I just added a second AoS to mine through advising.  Here's why:
"You must have already officially declared a 2nd Area of Study and been working with Academic Advising to complete it."
https://eforms.tesu.edu/appnet/reg4.html

Now my evaluation shows BS Aviation Flight and Information Technology and is all combined.  Fortunately there is NO overlap in those areas.  Business is probably much tougher.

"No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study."
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/t...one-degree

I do agree they are screwing him with catalog changes that they shouldn't be.

The three SDC courses are listed in the transfer guide so should be fine.
(08-17-2020, 07:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Toastmaster *smack*, dude, you're adding another program and therefore it's listed as another degree, second degree's have the new 2021 requirements.  You don't need to do anything but an unofficial academic evaluation and note down what's missing for the Entrepreneurship degree.  Once you have this unofficial academic requirements done OR if you want to keep the original degree program with the new 2021 requirements for the Entrepreneurship showing, the AOS should be identical.  Just finish the those AOS courses and then delete the second program from your list.

In order to add a second AOS to a degree, it's different than adding another degree into your program list.  You don't do it that way, you submit it through a form, this is the same for adding another associates or certificate to your BSBA.  You're adding a second area of study, don't add a second program to your evaluation list as that will create a second degree out of it.  View the "How do I apply for graduation?" area of this Link: https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

That's the thing, and that's why I'm pissed!  I didn't *ask* for a second degree.  That wasn't my question at all, which is why the response confused the heck out of me!

This was my email:

Quote:HI!

I was thinking of adding the Entrepreneurship AOS to my BABA: General Management Degree.

I was wondering if the following courses and course providers would fulfill that AOS:

1. Study.com 
Finance 306: Small Business Finance

2. Study.com
Business 321: Small Business Management

Or

Business 121: Introduction to Entrepreneurship

3. Study.com
Marketing 301: Marketing Research

Also, per my review, I wouldn't need any other classes besides the above, to add the AOS.  Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

This is literally what I asked!  My email subject header is "Adding Area of Study: Entrepreneurship"

There is no way someone could have confused that query, which is why I'm asking here because I think I am being lied to.  With all that said, who do I reach out to to get a real answer?  Does anyone know?

(08-17-2020, 07:58 PM)tallpilot Wrote: Maybe.  I just added a second AoS to mine through advising.  Here's why:
"You must have already officially declared a 2nd Area of Study and been working with Academic Advising to complete it."
https://eforms.tesu.edu/appnet/reg4.html

Now my evaluation shows BS Aviation Flight and Information Technology and is all combined.  Fortunately there is NO overlap in those areas.  Business is probably much tougher.

"No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study."
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/t...one-degree

I do agree they are screwing him with catalog changes that they shouldn't be.

The three SDC courses are listed in the transfer guide so should be fine.

OMG!  I didn't know that there was a form?  So the person that read the email, gave me wrong information, and gave me a whole new separate Entreprenuership Degree Eval, when that isn't even what I asked for!!!

WOW, Degreeforum.net should be paid for the REAL academic advising that goes on in here.  WOW, just WOW!!!!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

This is what the same person said back to me when I responded that they may have misunderstood my question: 
Quote:"The way I explained it is correct. You are simply adding a second area of study but you must adhere to the rules I explained: you may not overlap any courses between this area of study and the General Management area. You'd have to complete both areas of study with different courses. A potential evaluation for Entrepreneurship is on file for you to review. You must also complete all degree requirements for both programs before you apply for graduation."

@bjcheung77 @[b]tallpilot @levelUP[/b]

[b]I'm definitely going to get to the bottom of this![/b]

Just called the Academic Express line ....and GOT THE SAME PERSON that emailed me ???

(08-19-2020, 10:45 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Just called the Academic Express line ....and GOT THE SAME PERSON that emailed me ???
Not surprised, they have limited amount of people that handle certain degrees.

So is this where we are at now?

1.  So can add Entrepreneurship AOS to your academic evaluation and no courses related to Entrepreneurship AOS will be reviewed until this is added.  (That is typically their policy)

2.  You need 18 credits in Entrepreneurship AOS that are not in BSBA GM or any other BSBA AOS as those can't overlap at all.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-19-2020, 12:35 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 10:45 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: Just called the Academic Express line ....and GOT THE SAME PERSON that emailed me ???
Not surprised, they have limited amount of people that handle certain degrees.

So is this where we are at now?

1.  So can add Entrepreneurship AOS to your academic evaluation and no courses related to Entrepreneurship AOS will be reviewed until this is added.  (That is typically their policy)

2.  You need 18 credits in Entrepreneurship AOS that are not in BSBA GM or any other BSBA AOS as those can't overlap at all.
#1 Yes. As it is their policy, then okay, that makes sense.

#2  Apparently.  I was under the impression that I only needed to add 3 more classes to add the Entrepreneurship AOS.  I didn't know that I could not use 9 credits that are already applied to my General Management AOS.  So, they want me to take 6 classes (18 credits as you mentioned) AND a new Ethics class AND the cornerstone.

I really though that I would only take 3 new classes.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm "panicking" over this, is because this changes my plans dramatically.  I intended to take one more class through Study.com, and then 3 more classes through TESU (Employer paid, one class is for an undergrad cert.)

With this info, if I REALLY have to take 18 credits, instead of 9...I might just forgo the additional AOS altogether.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 11 554 19 minutes ago
Last Post: jch
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 118 1 hour ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,566 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 613 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 534 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 342 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 251 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM