Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Precalculus CLEP Material
(07-22-2019, 07:22 PM)Frankiesaysrelax Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 02:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 02:26 PM)Frankiesaysrelax Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 02:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Honestly, if I were you, I'd just go take the darn test and see how you do.  If you pass, you're done.  If you're not, you can see what it entails and then study from there.

I'd do either Khan Academy, or Modern States.  It can't hurt to just start and see how it goes.

If you just want to take an actual course at a CC, you could do Rio Salado.  It's more expensive than other CC's, but it has rolling start dates (so a class starting every Monday), and a choice of 8 weeks or 14 weeks.

Thanks for the quick response. So, the issue with that is I have to wait 6 months to take it again if I fail, but by then my university affiliation will expire and I'd have to re-enroll and take the course. So, I have to get it right the first time. I'm just concerned learning over 1000 pages plug doing practice problems will be very difficult to do in the 3 months I have. This is my only chance to graduate. I don't have $6500 to pay for the class and a loan isn't an option because it's less than half-time. Like I said, I need to get it right the first time.

The re-test period is 3 months, not 6.

The re-testing period for CLEP is 3 months; however, my school's policy is that 6 months is required - https://sce.nyu.edu/export/sites/scps/pd...nation.pdf

Dumb question - how would they know if you took it and did not pass?  All you have to do is opt to get the score sent to you (so not to the school), and then if you pass, send it to them via CLEP transcript.  If you don't pass, take it in 3 months and then again, send it via transcript.  CLEP will not tell them it's a retake.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-22-2019, 07:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 07:22 PM)Frankiesaysrelax Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 02:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 02:26 PM)Frankiesaysrelax Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 02:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Honestly, if I were you, I'd just go take the darn test and see how you do.  If you pass, you're done.  If you're not, you can see what it entails and then study from there.

I'd do either Khan Academy, or Modern States.  It can't hurt to just start and see how it goes.

If you just want to take an actual course at a CC, you could do Rio Salado.  It's more expensive than other CC's, but it has rolling start dates (so a class starting every Monday), and a choice of 8 weeks or 14 weeks.

Thanks for the quick response. So, the issue with that is I have to wait 6 months to take it again if I fail, but by then my university affiliation will expire and I'd have to re-enroll and take the course. So, I have to get it right the first time. I'm just concerned learning over 1000 pages plug doing practice problems will be very difficult to do in the 3 months I have. This is my only chance to graduate. I don't have $6500 to pay for the class and a loan isn't an option because it's less than half-time. Like I said, I need to get it right the first time.

The re-test period is 3 months, not 6.

The re-testing period for CLEP is 3 months; however, my school's policy is that 6 months is required - https://sce.nyu.edu/export/sites/scps/pd...nation.pdf

Dumb question - how would they know if you took it and did not pass?  All you have to do is opt to get the score sent to you (so not to the school), and then if you pass, send it to them via CLEP transcript.  If you don't pass, take it in 3 months and then again, send it via transcript.  CLEP will not tell them it's a retake.

I guess they wouldn't if I did it that way, but I'm definitely not ready to take it now. It's been a few years since I took College Algebra, so I need to review that and learn the precalc material from scratch.
In case anyone comes across this and wants to know, my plan is to complete Khan Academy's Algebra II (for review and to hone my algebra skills) and PreCalc courses. I really like that there are short videos I can work along with followed by problems for each topic and then quizzes and a final chapter exam along with a final course exam. Once I complete those, I'll take a practice CLEP exam to see where I stand. 

What I like about Modern States is the practice problems are very similar to problems from the official CLEP guide and there are practice problems for each section plus a final exam. So, once I finish the Khan Academy courses, I can use that to gauge how well prepared I am and I can work my CLEP prep with questions more like what is on the actual CLEP. If I still have a lot of work to do, the Khan Academy should help me greatly reduce the amount of time studying from the text book in the Modern States course. I plan on doing all the HW problems in the Modern States course which will also qualify me to receive a free CLEP voucher and exam center fee reimbursement.

So, I guess I finally have somewhat of a plan and it's just time to get busy.

I will post in this thread with updates to let future readers know how I ended up going about learning the precalc material well enough to attempt at least a 61 passing score.
If you are willing to spend $40 on CLEP Professor, it gives you an initial exam to see where you place and then tells you which video lessons that you still need to cover for the CLEP exam.
It would likely save you on study time.
(07-25-2019, 04:06 PM)Carnation Wrote: If you are willing to spend $40 on CLEP Professor, it gives you an initial exam to see where you place and then tells you which video lessons that you still need to cover for the CLEP exam.
It would likely save you on study time.

Thanks. I will look into that for once I have completed the Khan Academy courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 474 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,802 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,263 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,621 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,207 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,090 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,255 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,022 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar