Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for Associates and BA in Comms?
Schools
Current community college (credits left)
1.    ASL (like AGS): 2 CLEP and 1 BIO lab Science class
2.    AA: 3 CLEP and 1 BIO lab + 1 Art Class + 1 Relations Class
3.    AAS: Many left

Pierpont (credits left)
1.    AA BOG: 2 CLEP and 1 Science + Google IT or Project Management certificate

Correction: The ASL only requires a Science, no lab.

Update: 
  • I'm taking a CLEP exam this week and the second one likely by end of the month.
  • Confirmed the ASL will have no concentration/emphasis section on degree or transcript.
  • The ASL will also end with an average GPA since it was long when I came back and almost half of my classes are CLEP/ACE/proficiency credits.
  • After talking with my advisor at the community college, they may take the environmental class from Sophia. Waiting to hear back. If so, that means, I'll be done before I finish my Pierpont degree. 
  • Making progress on the PM certificate. The Google IT takes me a bit b/ I'm familiar with some of the concepts but I've never really taken advance computer classes (I passed my computer CLEP exam), so learning as I go along.
Question: Is there any reason I should hold off my ASL so I can get apply for the BOG degree? I recall the BOG is only for those without a college degree.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
You're not really "holding off", you're just getting the Pierpont BOG AAS before you graduate the ASL. I would just continue taking more credits towards your Bachelors anyways, you can apply for graduation to the ASL after you receive confirmation from BOG AAS that you have it in the bag. Again, continue onward with the Bachelors and let the Associates get on the back burner, make sure you have the requirements completed and "leave them" to complete in the correct order you need them in.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • vintage_jacket
Update for the sake of self-accountability. Open to feedback on BA degree and transfer college.

Degrees
1.  ALS (no concentration) at RA CC: Done. Submitted last CLEP test this month and degree will be conferred in Aug. 2023. Even though it will end with an average GPA, I'm just happy to be done and have a win under my belt. Added it to my resume already with the expected date. Yes!
2.  AAS at RA CC: Taking one RA class now, but not sure if it makes sense to continue. Has anyone found a second associate degree helpful in your career?
3.  BA with concentration in Marketing and minor in Management at UMPI YourPace: Next degree.*
5. Masters in BA or law degree: Maybe one day.

Certificates
1. From RA CC: Received one certificate last year in Entrepreneurship, and have a couple as WIP (if I use my AAS classes creatively), but not sure if they're worth the investment at this point. Anyone have community college certificates? Have they been helpful in your career?
2. Google PM certificate: Started working on this course again, and can use this for CAPM.
3. CAPM (PMI): Will take the test for my CAPM at the end of the year.

Discontinued
1. Pierpont AAS with IS concentration: The idea was great, but challenging. I'd rather slow down, really learn from the Google Certificates as I enjoy learning about CS topics but it's not my forte.
2. Degree in Comms/English. Pursuing BA for employment practicality. Will pursue writing/editing certificates through associations in the future.

UMPI YourPace
1. I need to pass 3-5 courses per semester to stay under budget. Otherwise, 5 semesters with 2 courses each = $7500.
2. Using an Excel spreadsheet template I found in the forum that had a UMPI BLS w/ triple minor degree. I couldn't find the original thread, but thank you whoever created it! Once I finish updating it with my information, I'll post my spreadsheet it on this thread for review.
3. Still need a lot of Sophia and Study.com courses before applying to UMPI.
4. *Not sure if YourPace allows a minor added to their degrees. Has anyone tried this?

Misc.:
CLEP/Modern States: I know have 5 CLEP exams under my belt. It takes me a bit longer to study for them, but I enjoy the peace of mind knowing they transfer.
Sophia courses: I did not enjoy asking, waiting, and making my case to my CC for one Sophia course. They accepted the environmental class in the end. Columbia College of Missouri does not accept any Sophia courses.
Back-up college? Columbia College of Missouri (accepts CLEP, DSST, and portfolio reviews), has a partnership with my RA CC so it's the least expensive RA BA.BA program I have found when I transfer 90 credits, $15,000. But still way over budget, so I'm tempted to burn the ships and stick with UMPI.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
(07-09-2023, 04:17 PM)vintage_jacket Wrote: Update for the sake of self-accountability. Open to feedback on BA degree and transfer college.

Degrees
1.  ALS (no concentration) at RA CC: Done. Submitted last CLEP test this month and degree will be conferred in Aug. 2023. Even though it will end with an average GPA, I'm just happy to be done and have a win under my belt. Added it to my resume already with the expected date. Yes!
2.  AAS at RA CC: Taking one RA class now, but not sure if it makes sense to continue. Has anyone found a second associate degree helpful in your career?
3.  BA with concentration in Marketing and minor in Management at UMPI YourPace: Next degree.*
5. Masters in BA or law degree: Maybe one day.

Certificates
1. From RA CC: Received one certificate last year in Entrepreneurship, and have a couple as WIP (if I use my AAS classes creatively), but not sure if they're worth the investment at this point. Anyone have community college certificates? Have they been helpful in your career?
2. Google PM certificate: Started working on this course again, and can use this for CAPM.
3. CAPM (PMI): Will take the test for my CAPM at the end of the year.

Discontinued
1. Pierpont AAS with IS concentration: The idea was great, but challenging. I'd rather slow down, really learn from the Google Certificates as I enjoy learning about CS topics but it's not my forte.
2. Degree in Comms/English. Pursuing BA for employment practicality. Will pursue writing/editing certificates through associations in the future.

UMPI YourPace
1. I need to pass 3-5 courses per semester to stay under budget. Otherwise, 5 semesters with 2 courses each = $7500.
2. Using an Excel spreadsheet template I found in the forum that had a UMPI BLS w/ triple minor degree. I couldn't find the original thread, but thank you whoever created it! Once I finish updating it with my information, I'll post my spreadsheet it on this thread for review.
3. Still need a lot of Sophia and Study.com courses before applying to UMPI.
4. *Not sure if YourPace allows a minor added to their degrees. Has anyone tried this?

Misc.:
CLEP/Modern States: I know have 5 CLEP exams under my belt. It takes me a bit longer to study for them, but I enjoy the peace of mind knowing they transfer.
Sophia courses: I did not enjoy asking, waiting, and making my case to my CC for one Sophia course. They accepted the environmental class in the end. Columbia College of Missouri does not accept any Sophia courses.
Back-up college? Columbia College of Missouri (accepts CLEP, DSST, and portfolio reviews), has a partnership with my RA CC so it's the least expensive RA BA.BA program I have found when I transfer 90 credits, $15,000. But still way over budget, so I'm tempted to burn the ships and stick with UMPI.

Not knowing what an ALS is, so can't be helpful there.
2nd associates - not worth the time, let alone the money
BABA at UMPI - definitely worth doing, stop wasting time with anything else.  THIS is what you should spend ALL of your time/money on right now.  Yes, you can do the Google PM cert and CAPM, but I'd wait.

I did not go back and read the entire post, but I think you're trying to do too much.  Have you updated all of the courses/exams you've taken from the first post?  If not, you should.  I would not list anything that's not a credit-bearing course/exam, JUST the ones that you have credit for on a college transcript, a CLEP transcript, etc.

Then, knock out everything you need at Sophia, and maybe SDC, then apply and enroll at UMPI.  Otherwise, you're just spinning your wheels (this also applies to the 2nd/3rd thing).  Just do ONE degree, and finish it - if you find that you have enough time/money to finish a 2nd in the same term, go for it.  But honestly, talking about doing 3 degrees in 5 terms is kind of bonkers.  People here are finishing a single degree in 1-2 terms.  3 degrees in 3 terms at most.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 86 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 86 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,567 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 127 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 218 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 633 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 266 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,217 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 2,021 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 408 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB