Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for degree plan TESC BA in Liberal Studies
Hello everyone,

I've gone through some of the steps from the wiki, but was unsure if I understood it completely correctly. I have had my transcripts evaluated at TESC and it was determined that the BA in Liberal Studies would put me the closest to a degree. I went over the list of courses offered at TESC for each requirement, but was having difficulty determining corresponding tests.
I was hoping that you could share some advice or suggestions as to what tests might best fill the requirements that remain:

Oral Communication 3 credits

Information Literacy 3 credits

Ethics 3 credits

Civic Engagement 3 credits

Lifelong Learning Strategies 1 credit (I believe that this is an intro course to help students adjust to online courses)

Liberal Studies 300+ category
9 credits needed

Capstone 3 credits

If you need more information about my previous credits or the courses offered at TESC for each section please let me know, I just didn't want to make my first post too large.

Thank you in advance.
Here's a few (but not all) options...

Oral Communication 3 credits

DSST Principles of Public Speaking, Davar Academy Public Speaking, or Straighterline Intro to Communications.

Information Literacy 3 credits

CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, DSST Introduction to World Religions, UExcel Research Methods in Psychology, Davar Academy Information Literacy, Coopersmith Research Methods in Psychology, Straighterline Introduction to Religion

Ethics 3 credits

Free option --
Quote:The American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (commonly referred to as "The Institutes") offer a free ethics course that is ACE recommended for 2 credits.

312N-H Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (2 credits) - an upper level ethics/philosophy course that meet's TESU's General Education "ethics" requirement (you might have to ask for an exception to be made for the last credit, but typically this is automatically granted. The 3rd credit is to be made up as a general ed elective).
To signup, use the following link: Preserve the trust on which insurance transactions are based with an understanding of ethics

Select the FREE option. You should not do the $5 option. The paid option is for "Continuing Education credit," which is different than college credit. The free version is ACE approved for college credit.

or, other paid options:
Ethics in America DSST, Business Ethics in Society DSST, Business Ethics Straighterline, Business Ethics UExcel , Bioethics UExcel , Environmental Ethics TECEP, and Ethics: Theory and Practice UExcel, Saylor Environmental Ethics

Civic Engagement 3 credits
CLEP American Government, Straighterline American Government

Lifelong Learning Strategies 1 credit (I believe that this is an intro course to help students adjust to online courses)
This can not be transferred in, but it can be waived if you have more than 104 cr or if you signup for Study.com affiliate pricing with TESU.

Liberal Studies 300+ category 9 credits needed

Humanities 300/400:
DSST Introduction to World Religions, Straighterline Business Communications, Straighterline Introduction to Religion (would probably duplicate DSST), UExcel Interpersonal Communication (should transcribe as COM-330), UExcel Bioethics: Philosophical Issues, UExcel Ethics: Theory and Practice?, UExcel Workplace Communication with Computers? (might duplicate Straighterline Business Communications), TECEP Marketing Communications, Straighterline Business Ethics, Saylor Corporate Communication, and DSST Business Ethics and Society?

Natural Science/Mathematics 300/400:
CSU Global CBE Information Systems Analysis and Design, DSST Management Information Systems, Straighterline Microbiology, Straighterline Microbiology Lab (1 credit), Uexcel Microbiology, and Uexcel Pathophysiology.

Capstone 3 credits
This can not be transferred in and must be taken at TESU.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Here is how I completed those categories. There are a lot of other options. I am only sharing my experience and not advocating any particular way. I had the Guardian study.com scholarship so that dictated how and where I took most of the courses.

Oral Communication 3 credits study.com Intro to Public Speaking

Information Literacy 3 credits study.com World Religions

Ethics 3 credits Free course from the Institutes that jsd mentioned - it is only 2 credits but TESU will waive the other credit

Civic Engagement 3 credits study.com American Government (on this one, I did start the Saylor.org Poly Sci course. If I hadn't had the scholarship I planned to use this one)

Lifelong Learning Strategies 1 credit (I believe that this is an intro course to help students adjust to online courses) TESU will waive this if you transfer in 104 credits or you are a study.com affiliate member

Liberal Studies 300+ category
9 credits needed
Here are the courses from study.com I took that TESU considers as UL. PSY 103, 104, 105, and Bus 107:Org Behavior. Shmoop has multiple courses that are UL and I took Modernist Lit. I already had Shakespeare and Vietnam History but both of those are UL too. I ended up with more UL credits than I needed but they were able to be used in the AOS.

Capstone 3 credits - You have to take this at TESU.

There are soooo many more options though. I am only giving you the options I used. Personally I didn't like Shmoop. I also switched my concentration where I couldn't use literature courses as UL. But that is up to you. It is a very inexpensive option. I loved study.com (especially since 6 courses were free!!!) There are of course other providers and testing sources. I'm only sharing my experience.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

@jsd - you mentioned DSST Introduction to World Religions in both Information Literacy and 300+ sections, just want to double check that it's highly unlikely that TESC will count it twice right?

@rlw74 - for the public speaking course did you have to setup a recording of yourself?
Vol Wrote:@jsd - you mentioned DSST Introduction to World Religions in both Information Literacy and 300+ sections, just want to double check that it's highly unlikely that TESC will count it twice right?

Right, you can use it for one category or the other, but not for both.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,214 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 728 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 300 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 695 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 616 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 798 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 555 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 300 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 912 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM