Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice or Help for a newbie Plllllease :D TESU/Testing Out
Good day everyone.

I'm South African and I've been working as a teacher for many years abroad, but I need to get some grown up papers to help me get further in life. Most importantly of which--a DEGREE!

I heard everything about Testing Out and I'm committed to pursuing a Bachelors by this method to save time and money, but I really need some help!

I am quite interested in TESU or Excelsior for their credentials and reputation, and I would like to complete a major in something to help me get a major in Education to further my career if that would be possible. But is there any advice you can give me on what courses might be the most convenient and cheapest, if that's a factor, to choose...
Is there somewhere I can get a plan for that course as well? That will be something I'd be so thankful to have!!
Or if your able to, any other advice, hacks, or resources will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Sincerely, the excited new guy Wink
Sociology is a terrible major. How do I know? Because I have a BS in sociology. It just doesn't lead to much of anything career wise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marcus Aurelius's post:
  • K93
It's important to work backward. What do you want to do for a living? If you said that you wanted to work for a family protective services agency or in community corrections, then sociology would be a good degree. The state government jobs I've had was because of my social science degree. The job I just landed with the Internal Revenue Service (national government tax agency) will accept a degree in just about everything.

Whenever people say that they can't find a job with their sociology, psychology, or criminology degree, there's usually one or both of two issues. They don't want to work in the jobs that desire those degrees. It shows that they did little to no research on the job market. The other common problem is poor job searching skills. There was a lady on an Austin forum who couldn't find a job with her degree. It was either in sociology or criminology. I told her to apply where I was working, and she was hired.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I agree with sanantone, you need to know your path first; then you can decide on a degree.

I would say that if you just want a BALS degree, that COSC is the best option; cheapest for sure, and their "reputation" is just as good as the other 2. Meaning none of them really have a reputation, good or bad, which is fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-08-2019, 08:35 AM)sanantone Wrote: It's important to work backward. What do you want to do for a living? If you said that you wanted to work for a family protective services agency or in community corrections, then sociology would be a good degree. The state government jobs I've had was because of my social science degree. The job I just landed with the Internal Revenue Service (national government tax agency) will accept a degree in just about everything.

Whenever people say that they can't find a job with their sociology, psychology, or criminology degree, there's usually one or both of two issues. They don't want to work in the jobs that desire those degrees. It shows that they did little to no research on the job market. The other common problem is poor job searching skills. There was a lady on an Austin forum who couldn't find a job with her degree. It was either in sociology or criminology. I told her to apply where I was working, and she was hired.

Thank you so much for your advice... I am working my way towards a degree for the papers mostly... I am an ESL teacher and Im interested in getting a masters in something that can help me meet the requirements for those international teaching position requirements... so if i could test out of an education degree that would be great... I just love sociology, so atleast it would be interesting along the way...
Do you know if that's possible or how to do something like that maybe?Smile

(04-08-2019, 09:04 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree with sanantone, you need to know your path first; then you can decide on a degree.

I would say that if you just want a BALS degree, that COSC is the best option; cheapest for sure, and their "reputation" is just as good as the other 2.  Meaning none of them really have a reputation, good or bad, which is fine.

Thanks so much for your reply man...
As I just told him as well, I'm just interested in getting a masters in Education right now to continue and further my ESL teaching career in AsiaSmile so a bachelors would be more a vital means to a way... 
But I haven't really looked at Charter Oaks yet... thanks for the heads up... do you know if there is any updated resources I can use to help me get a way to complete a BALS there?Smile

(04-08-2019, 08:03 AM)Marcus Aurelius Wrote: Sociology is a terrible major. How do I know? Because I have a BS in sociology. It just doesn't lead to much of anything career wise.

Thanks for the heads up manWink
(04-08-2019, 05:22 AM)K93 Wrote: Good day everyone.

I'm South African and I've been working as a teacher for many years abroad, but I need to get some grown up papers to help me get further in life. Most importantly of which--a DEGREE!

I heard everything about Testing Out and I'm committed to pursuing a Bachelors by this method to save time and money, but I really need some help!

I am quite interested in TESU or Excelsior for their credentials and reputation, and I would like to complete a major in Sociology or Education if possible. But is there any advice you can give me on what courses might be the most convenient and cheapest, if that's a factor, to choose...
Is there somewhere I can get a plan for that course as well? That will be something I'd be so thankful to have!!
Or if your able to, any other advice, hacks, or resources will be GREATLY appreciated!!

It's important to think about where you can find upper level (300-400) level credits. Business courses are easier to find. I haven't seen a lot of upper level credits for education, so that's probably a more difficult route. A general studies or social sciences without concentration would be easier to plan for, but I agree that such degrees are useless for jobs and not desired by most employers. If you plan on pursuing graduate studies, I think it would be okay, though.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
Neither school offers a bachelor's degree in education. COSC has one in Early Childhood Education, but I don't think that would be a good fit. BA English would. It's not the easiest one to do by our methods because it's hard to find the upper level courses cheap, but it can be done. Otherwise, I'd go with either a Liberal Studies degree or the Sociology degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
We have a lot of people coming here looking for a degree to teach English in Asia. I wonder how many people are landing these jobs and how long they're keeping them. I was under the impression that people usually do this for a short period of time (1 to 3 years). If that's the case, a person should not plan one's education around something that's not going to be a long-term career.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-08-2019, 10:18 AM)udi Wrote:

I am quite interested in TESU or Excelsior for their credentials and reputation, and I would like to complete a major in Sociology or Education if possible. But is there any advice you can give me on what courses might be the most convenient and cheapest, if that's a factor, to choose...

It's important to think about where you can find upper level (300-400) level credits. Business courses are easier to find. I haven't seen a lot of upper level credits for education, so that's probably a more difficult route. A general studies or social sciences without concentration would be easier to plan for, but I agree that such degrees are useless for jobs and not desired by most employers. If you plan on pursuing graduate studies, I think it would be okay, though.
That's really great advice, thanks so much!Smile A business degree should be fine if I can smart up for all the math haha... Do you know where I can get some guidance on that rout perhaps?Smile

(04-08-2019, 11:29 AM)sanantone Wrote: We have a lot of people coming here looking for a degree to teach English in Asia. I wonder how many people are landing these jobs and how long they're keeping them. I was under the impression that people usually do this for a short period of time (1 to 3 years). If that's the case, a person should not plan one's education around something that's not going to be a long-term career.

Well I've been a teacher for 6 years so I'm assuming its quite clear then to see that I'm inquiring because I'm serious about it as a careerWink

(04-08-2019, 10:45 AM)davewill Wrote: Neither school offers a bachelor's degree in education. COSC has one in Early Childhood Education, but I don't think that would be a good fit. BA English would. It's not the easiest one to do by our methods because it's hard to find the upper level courses cheap, but it can be done. Otherwise, I'd go with either a Liberal Studies degree or the Sociology degree.

Thank you so much for making me aware of this information... I'll check out the ECE degree, but it does sound a bit more complicated and expensive...
Are youymaybe aware of how I can get ore information or eveneaguide available for a sociology somewhere perhaps?Smile
(04-08-2019, 09:54 PM)K93 Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 10:18 AM)udi Wrote:

That's really great advice, thanks so much!Smile A business degree should be fine if I can smart up for all the math haha... Do you know where I can get some guidance on that rout perhaps?Smile

(04-08-2019, 11:29 AM)sanantone Wrote: We have a lot of people coming here looking for a degree to teach English in Asia. I wonder how many people are landing these jobs and how long they're keeping them. I was under the impression that people usually do this for a short period of time (1 to 3 years). If that's the case, a person should not plan one's education around something that's not going to be a long-term career.

Well I've been a teacher for 6 years so I'm assuming its quite clear then to see that I'm inquiring because I'm serious about it as a careerWink

Yes, but some people find out that they don't like the country enough to be there long-term.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 510 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 450 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 471 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,285 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,224 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  Need some advice tpell1219 17 779 03-31-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 370 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 359 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill