Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise Re: Second Degree Plan
Hello All,

Thanks you for this great forum!  I'm looking to get a Second Baccalaureate Degree from TESU.  I see that 24 units are required in the area of study and/or core of the degree.  I would like the fastest/easiest/cheapest route (in that order).  Ideally test out, no papers, —after reading through many discussion threads, it seems  a BSBA GM is the only test out option.  I would be starting from scratch. I'd like to ask you experts if that's my only option (and it's a good one) or are there other secret sauces out there? 

Some additional questions:
Does adding an emphasis in Marketing or Technical Studies make a difference (BSBA)?
Is there a test for the capstone? —I 'd really like test out or self-paced programs if possible.

Why? - I have a BAAS Art degree from SDSU and would like to get a graduate degree in Business, Marketing or maybe Tech (I'm creative techy so limited) for future employment purposes.  I had A LOT going on when finishing my first degree and my GPA doesn't qualify me for a grad program.

MANY THANKS!!
Testing out of a BSBA isn't likely to fix your GPA, since you'd only be getting a few actual graded credits, in particular the capstone has to be taken as a course, no test option. Is 3 graded credits going to bring your GPA up high enough? If not, plan on taking some of the 24 units at CC or some other RA school. Also, talk to a few schools, you might be able to find an MBA program that will take your GPA.

Also, most of the BSBA specializations can be done with alternate credit, so choose the one that you think will help you the most going forward.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-13-2018, 04:02 PM)davewill Wrote: Testing out of a BSBA isn't likely to fix your GPA, since you'd only be getting a few actual graded credits, in particular the capstone has to be taken as a course, no test option. Is 3 graded credits going to bring your GPA up high enough? If not, plan on taking some of the 24 units at CC or some other RA school. Also, talk to a few schools, you might be able to find an MBA program that will take your GPA.

Also, most of the BSBA specializations can be done with alternate credit, so choose the one that you think will help you the most going forward.

Thanks davewill!  I obviously overlooked the fact that grades are not given when testing out.  Hmmm I'll need to rethink this.
(08-13-2018, 03:33 PM)DezCez Wrote: Hello All,

Thanks you for this great forum!  I'm looking to get a Second Baccalaureate Degree from TESU.  I see that 24 units are required in the area of study and/or core of the degree.  I would like the fastest/easiest/cheapest route (in that order).  Ideally test out, no papers, —after reading through many discussion threads, it seems  a BSBA GM is the only test out option.  I would be starting from scratch. I'd like to ask you experts if that's my only option (and it's a good one) or are there other secret sauces out there? 

Does adding an emphasis in Marketing or Technical Studies make a difference (BSBA)?
Is there a test for the capstone? —I 'd really like test out or self-paced programs if possible.

Why? - I have a BAAS Art degree from SDSU and would like to get a graduate degree in Business, Marketing or maybe Tech (I'm creative techy so limited) for future employment purposes.  I had A LOT going on when finishing my first degree and my GPA doesn't qualify me for a grad program.

MANY THANKS!!

What is your BAAS Art GPA?
WGU will take you without a GPA, I think. Have you looked at a lot of schools? How about ones that we discuss on here? There are lots of options, and many that won't look at your GPA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-14-2018, 08:50 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 03:33 PM)DezCez Wrote: Hello All,

Does adding an emphasis in Marketing or  Technical Studies make a difference (BSBA)?

MANY THANKS!!

What is your BAAS Art GPA?

My GPA is a 2.35 -  I had a serious accident my senior year and missed a lot of classes. Trying to finish an art degree where projects vs. tests/papers are required was very challenging for me on crutches ... I was thrilled to have finished.  My BAAS was in Art with an emphasis in Graphic Design.

(08-14-2018, 10:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WGU will take you without a GPA, I think.  Have you looked at a lot of schools?  How about ones that we discuss on here?  There are lots of options, and many that won't look at your GPA.

Thanks dfrecore!  I'll look into WGU.  I've done some looking but kept running into the GPA issue.  Guess I need to do some more digging. 

I'm a big fan of yours btw - you can whip out a degree plan like no other!
If you aren't particularly picky about your graduate school, going for an MBA makes more sense than getting a BSBA as a second degree. A 2.35 doesn't necessarily make it impossible to get into graduate school. Address it in your essay. Create a good story. Say that you have poor artistic ability. Lots of people have made bad grades in fine arts classes. Now if you have bad grades in English composition and college math, that's a different problem.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • padma
I wouldn't worry about the GPA and ask yourself which of the following two options is more for you:
1) Go directly into an MBA program - for the programs that have no GPA or prerequisite requirements (maybe WGU?)
2) Complete the BSBA and then to an MBA or similar Masters program - the BSBA prepares students for the next level.

There are so many factors in deciding which school or degree to go for (BSBA Bachelors then a Masters or going to a Masters directly).  Questions, How busy are you? How much time do you have to spend on studying?  Do you have family/kids that you have to attend to?  What is the amount you would like to spend in total for the BSBA+Masters or the Masters alone?

Furthermore, are you looking for a "top tier" or a "ranked" school for your graduate studies?  I had someone on the sister forum asking which program to go into after getting a BSBA from TESU.  I mentioned sticking with a degree from WGU if they're not looking into a ranked school or go for Purdue Global or CSU Global for a Masters for Ranked schools.

BTW, which state are you in? WGU has partnered with several states such as Texas, Washington, etc.  Anyways, I am looking for a "big fan"... it's hot today and I'm gonna head down to the beach, I need to keep cool.  I should get one of those solar powered fans, or maybe just sit in the shade...

Nevermind, you're in the Golden State - California, I just re-read SDSU. WGU doesn't have a state-based university there, but it's still a very good school and I would highly recommend their MBA or MSML unless you would like to go for a Ranked school, there are other options.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I wonder if there is some way to have a recalculated GPA because of the accident. Also, in state California community colleges are really cheap. Maybe just take a bunch of easy low level classes.
(08-16-2018, 03:14 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I wonder if there is some way to have a recalculated GPA because of the accident.  Also, in state California community colleges are really cheap.  Maybe just take a bunch of easy low level classes.

It's time-consuming, and you have to take a LOT of classes to raise your GPA.  

I say self-study the courses you might want, and then get an MBA through a school that won't look at your GPA.  There are lots.  Many even let you do something like take 3 courses as an unenrolled student, and then if you get good grades on those courses, let you enroll.  You just have to prove to them that you're able to do the work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,180 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader