Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable Degree Programs...
Here is a website that list schools and programs around the world including the United States.  But if you are willing to live abroad for the duration of your studies then you will find some great programs.  You can sort by cost, country and so on.  The cheapest education I have seen are from countries like Germany and Norway which were free.  The site is called studyportals.com.  You simple setup an account and go into the portal for the degree that you are seeking (bachelors - masters).  I hope this does help someone considering the current crisis.  I do know of some people who traveled abroad for their Master's via this website and they did one year in the school.  And the second year she was placed with a local company within that country that paid her a salary with benefits.  She ultimately married in that country and still live outside the US.  Some countries offer cheaper education to foreigners with the hope that you will stay after schooling to add to their economy.  There are also scholarships and stipends offered.  Again, hope that this helps someone.  

https://studyportals.com
https://www.bachelorsportal.com
https://www.mastersportal.com
[-] The following 3 users Like nilahti2's post:
  • letterchaser202, rvm, sofinel
Bear in mind that the free ones in Germany aren't actually free-free. There are often fees for American students that do not exist for students from the EU. (EU pays for school with taxes, Americans have paid no EU taxes.) Much like US college resident/non-resident rates.

There is a lot of paperwork associated with going to a German university. You need a student visa and, unless you live in LA or DC, you're going to incur travel expenses going to the right embassy or consulate to get that visa. You need to have about $12k ready to plunk down ahead of time for each year that you'll be there to prove that you can support yourself while in Germany. Accommodations in and around the cities that have these universities tend to be expensive and/or scarce. For much of Germany, it's not unusual to spend 6 months trying to find an apartment. It's slightly easier for some students, but not by much.

Also, that $12k is probably not enough to live on but (depending on your visa) you're probably not allowed to work while in Germany unless you're an EU citizen.

I don't know about Norway, but I believe the situation is similar. I'm not saying this to discourage everyone from studying abroad, but it's not free-free like a lot of people tend to assume it is. As long as you realize that, you'll be a-okay.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 9 320 2 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 131 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 7 393 04-13-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 448 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,569 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,070 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 428 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,715 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 582 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 4,004 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer