Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative sources for studying?
I have found that there is a TON of reading involved with the online degree programs I have looked in to.  For me, reading alone does not really tend to “stick”.  My mind wanders and there are so many other distractions in my house most of the time.   Do you use other sites with videos to supplement your learning?   I was thinking of looking in to auditing some of the MOOC courses with the same subject matter for the videos.   I tried a few of those text to speech apps, but they are VERY flawed.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-10-2021, 10:00 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I have found that there is a TON of reading involved with the online degree programs I have looked in to.  For me, reading alone does not really tend to “stick”.  My mind wanders and there are so many other distractions in my house most of the time.   Do you use other sites with videos to supplement your learning?   I was thinking of looking in to auditing some of the MOOC courses with the same subject matter for the videos.   I tried a few of those text to speech apps, but they are VERY flawed.
I find Khan Academy very helpful.
Have you tried Sophia LLC?

Their courses are mostly video-based.  They do offer a free trial...unlike other "free trials", you don't have to pay or commit to anything to start.

They also offer thousands of free video tutorials.
[-] The following 2 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • BrianFallon, Vle045
I would also point out that there are a number of "text to speech" apps that can be used for all sorts or reading.  The one I am familiar with is called Speechify.
(05-10-2021, 11:32 AM)ctcarl Wrote: Have you tried Sophia LLC?

Their courses are mostly video-based.  They do offer a free trial...unlike other "free trials", you don't have to pay or commit to anything to start.

They also offer thousands of free video tutorials.

Yes, I am actually doing two courses from Sophia this month.  I will pause my subscription after these classes because my regular term just started toward an MBA degree.   Once I get through the selected response competencies, I am going to really be bogged down with reading and writing.  I am not sure how this is going to go.  Eeeep.  What did I get myself into?   LOL.  And I went and bought a puppy.  I must have been bored.  That won’t be a problem anymore.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-10-2021, 12:06 PM)Alpha Wrote: I would also point out that there are a number of "text to speech" apps that can be used for all sorts or reading.  The one I am familiar with is called Speechify.

I love Speechify. It's not super cheap for the Premium version but the voices are great and well worth the $100-something it costs for a year's subscription.

(05-10-2021, 10:00 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I have found that there is a TON of reading involved with the online degree programs I have looked in to.  For me, reading alone does not really tend to “stick”.  My mind wanders and there are so many other distractions in my house most of the time.   Do you use other sites with videos to supplement your learning?   I was thinking of looking in to auditing some of the MOOC courses with the same subject matter for the videos.   I tried a few of those text to speech apps, but they are VERY flawed.

Have you seen Khan Academy? They don't cover every single subject but they do cover a lot of them and their videos tend to be pretty good.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I use a lot of youtube. I'll oftentimes put together playlists on subjects I'm studying or will be studying in the future and listen to them in the background while doing other things.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 696 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,259 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Research sources for writing assignments? GizmoJack 23 93,842 05-29-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,563 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  Studying Through Brain Fog Stacie 35 3,018 08-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Alternative Credentials Alpha 4 774 05-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU alternative outside of the USA rbat2021 21 3,839 03-24-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Studying on a Schedule, week by week RedBeardVII 11 1,322 10-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: wow
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,050 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Seeking alternative credit options Vle045 15 2,217 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts