Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alumnus donation calls
Do you receive calls from your alma mater regarding donating to their Institution? If so, do you ever donate?
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I received one from TESU not too long after i graduated, and actually did give a small amount. Surprisingly, they haven't called again in the couple years since. I was worried I would be on some "likely donor" list since I gave once.

I wouldn't give to TESU again at this point. I'd consider WGU, but they haven't asked me yet.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-17-2018, 02:04 PM)jsd Wrote: I received one from TESU not too long after i graduated, and actually did give a small amount. Surprisingly, they haven't called again in the couple years since. I was worried I would be on some "likely donor" list since I gave once.

My son graduated in June and they started calling soon after and continued a couple times a month, probably because he wasn't here to take the calls. We did not donate. Haven't heard from them in about a month but I stopped answering numbers I didn't know because of other annoying calls.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
Yup, I donated a small amount when they called, I got an email in regards to donations as well. There's nothing to worry about, it's not like they're selling your information out to other companies. At the end of the day, for any donation, if I have some extra cash I would donate, if not then I just tell them so - Money is tighter now for most people including myself, I used to donate to a few charities and now have limited to a couple including the local church...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I never get calls from Excelsior, but a letter in the mail about once a year.  

I have donated the last four years.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I've graduated from 3 schools and all 3 call or email for donations.
I was discriminated against in the 1980s by the University of Oregon.  USNY (now called Excelsior College) was my ticket to a better life.  I have three gov't retirements in part to that first Big 3 BS degree and I am now working towards a 4th retirement.

I have given about $1,000 total in the last four years to EC as gratitude to its roots.  Most do not donate and I get it.  I do as they were a life changer for me!  Wink
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I only have received calls from Regis from my MBA, nothing from COSC. Regis calls me on a fairly consistent basis and I have yet to give a dime. Why? I contribute a lot to the organization, from being an international business mentor to creating and delivering webinars for them on two different occasions. But mostly, it's because I did take out student loans to pay for part of my MBA. So, what I tell them is truthfully I am still paying for my education and feel that student loans are enough for now.

But mostly my hesitancy is due to school management of funds. I won't comment on which school it was, but I did sit on the advisory board for a school of management. I didn't love the way the school was administered. Non-profits don't always have the best administration. So, not to say that I will never donate, but I feel fulfilled donating my time and worry about donating money to fall into a black hole. I hope some day my opinion will change.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(10-17-2018, 08:09 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I was discriminated against in the 1980s by the University of Oregon.  USNY (now called Excelsior College) was my ticket to a better life.  I have three gov't retirements in part to that first Big 3 BS degree and I am now working towards a 4th retirement.

I have given about $1,000 total in the last four years to EC as gratitude to its roots.  Most do not donate and I get it.  I do as they were a life changer for me!  Wink

I feel the same sense of obligation, but oddly not to the college- that was the reason I stayed here after I finished my degrees and have dedicated 20-30 hours per week ever since to pulling people up behind me. I think giving back is important, but that's not to say that giving money isn't important, but for *me* giving money doesn't give me the same feeling as helping others, so I choose to volunteer instead.
Gotten 4 calls from TESU since graduation...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Covid 19 - 1 Million Euro Donation bjcheung77 0 1,358 06-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What in the world is going on with all the Solar phone calls lately??? dfrecore 3 1,211 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do not answer calls from unknown numbers bjcheung77 11 1,699 06-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Khan Academy Donation LaterBloomer 1 816 01-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: dewisant