Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I close to meeting my core requirements?
Am asking this question because I am feeling particularly insecure about the credits I am choosing. I have a reading comprehension issue. I am studying. I am passing tests but I can't seem to figure out if I am choosing the right credits. I think after tomorrow, I will be about done with my core ( I am taking the Eng Comp and Personal Finance tests tomorrow). I need some of you fine folks to review and advise if I have a deficiency in my plan so far.
I am attempting a Bachelor's in Social Science at TESC.
I have completed so far:

Straighterline courses
Intro to Religion
Intro to Philosophy
Intro to Criminal Justice
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Nutrition
Western Civ 1
Western Civ 2
US History 1
Macroeconomics

CLEP
Social Science and History
Humanities
English Comp

DSST
Personal Finance

B&M
English 101
Psychology 110

The way I figure it, I have 54 credits and I need 6 more for my core requirements. Have I mucked this up? Is there a gap somewhere that I need to fill?

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful insights.
Are you not enrolled? If you're enrolled, they should be telling you exactly what you need.
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
Not enrolled yet. I am waiting until I get closer to meeting all my requirements.
Is there any advantage to doing that? As I said, the advantage of being enrolled is the security that you won't make a misstep, because the advising staff will tell you what to take to satisfy all requirements.

Short of that, can you link to the requirements that you're looking at?
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
I'm working on a plan, but do you have any math credits? Also, Personal Finance only counts as a free elective, so it won't meet general ed or major requirements (they say this on the TESC website). Do you prefer CLEP and DSST or Straighterline?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Do you have a degree plan put together? Or are you just taking random courses? Just about everything that you've taken will fulfill gen. ed. requirements. The only one that stands out is personal finance, which will only count as a free elective.

As far as meeting core requirements goes you are missing a few key courses. Ethics, math, intellectual and practical skills. And upper-level social science courses for your major.

Thomas Edison State College: Social Sciences
General Education Courses
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
You have almost completed your first 60 hours, which is also an AA in General Studies. You can look at the many helpful plans on the wiki for Social Science to fulfill the major requirements. Good luck!

A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15

1. CLEP English Comp 6
2. NEED ALEKS Intermediate Algebra 3
3. NEED 6 hours from any math, SL Intro to Communications 3, ALEKS College Algebra 3, SL Business Communications 3, DSST Technical Writing, or Intro to Computers 3

B. Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World 18 COMPLETED
1. Intro to Philosophy 3
2. US History 1 3
3. Intro to Nutrition 3
4. Western Civ 1 3
5. Western Civ 2 3
6. Macroeconomics 3

C. Personal and Social Responsibility 9
1. Intro to Religion 3
2. Intro to Sociology 3
3. NEED SL Business Ethics OR DSST Ethics in America 3

D. General Education Electives 18 COMPLETED
1. Social Science and History 6
2. Humanities 6
3. Psychology 110 3
4. Intro to Criminal Justice 3
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Thanks to all for the responses. I got exactly the information that I needed.
To answer a few questions:

I haven't enrolled because I don't want to lay out the cash yet. I will probably call and talk to an advisor to see what the cost will be for Pay-By-Credit.

I don't have any math credits yet (even though I know I need them). I just loathe them so much. I will work on those next.

I don't have a plan at all. Just taking tests that seem to be the most commonly taken at this early stage in the game. Now that I am about done with gen ed classes, I will follow the Social Sciences plan on Wiki to make sure I am taking the appropriate classes.

Thanks all!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Universal Gen Ed Requirements rachel83az 2 350 08-16-2023, 10:21 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Alliance University to close in August bjcheung77 4 592 07-23-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Doctor with student loan debt, hitting close to 1 million... bjcheung77 11 1,069 08-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  CPA requirements for uopeople degree Ebukaz 14 2,705 12-24-2021, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Ebukaz
  Application Requirements Inquiry bjcheung77 5 1,066 09-01-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hawthorn University to Close on December 15, 2021 bjcheung77 0 800 08-21-2021, 02:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Foreign Language Requirements zeroglory 5 1,477 02-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Core College Courses ThadF 4 1,296 02-25-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Getting Close Zachcleigh 1 664 04-19-2019, 11:38 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Study.com satisfying CPA Requirements s19concrete 3 2,481 11-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Last Post: cannoda