Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I understanding this correctly about Shmoop and TESU?
I am trying to follow the threads about Shmoop credits not transferring to TESU, but we are still pretty new on this journey.  My son just completed his 21st credit through Shmoop last week, so I am a little unsettled about this news.  He had not applied to TESU yet as he just turned 18 and has not graduated high school yet (he will in 2 weeks), so they wouldn't let him.  I'm guessing all these credits are just lost.  He was mapping out his degree for TESU and had completed almost all his gen-ed type credits.  I'm just making sure that this is correct since he wasn't officially enrolled in TESU.  Kinda stinks because I had emailed them about some of these courses a few months ago and they said they would unofficially count.  

Any advice on where we should go from here?  Is it worth it to look into other schools?  He was going for his Professional Studies degree as he liked the mix of business with humanities type classes and that would help him the most in his future.  It doesn't seem like there are any other degrees like that at COSC and EC.  

Is it worth it to jump back on the Aleks courses or will TESU give up on these too?  He earned Intermediate Alg last summer and was halfway to Col. Alg before they didn't renew ACE last year.  I don't know whether he should do that if TESU might just not approve these either since they aren't proctored.  I am not sure how many more credits he can "lose" without just giving up.  Losing over half your earned credits in 1 day is rough, and I don't even know what is best anymore.
(05-07-2018, 09:07 AM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: I am trying to follow the threads about Shmoop credits not transferring to TESU, but we are still pretty new on this journey.  My son just completed his 21st credit through Shmoop last week, so I am a little unsettled about this news.  He had not applied to TESU yet as he just turned 18 and has not graduated high school yet (he will in 2 weeks), so they wouldn't let him.  I'm guessing all these credits are just lost.  He was mapping out his degree for TESU and had completed almost all his gen-ed type credits.  I'm just making sure that this is correct since he wasn't officially enrolled in TESU.  Kinda stinks because I had emailed them about some of these courses a few months ago and they said they would unofficially count.  

Any advice on where we should go from here?  Is it worth it to look into other schools?  He was going for his Professional Studies degree as he liked the mix of business with humanities type classes and that would help him the most in his future.  It doesn't seem like there are any other degrees like that at COSC and EC.  

Is it worth it to jump back on the Aleks courses or will TESU give up on these too?  He earned Intermediate Alg last summer and was halfway to Col. Alg before they didn't renew ACE last year.  I don't know whether he should do that if TESU might just not approve these either since they aren't proctored.  I am not sure how many more credits he can "lose" without just giving up.  Losing over half your earned credits in 1 day is rough, and I don't even know what is best anymore.

No, TESU does still take Shmoop Credit because it is ace approved. There are certain courses that TESU will take from them but you have to ensure you look on the forum and only do the one that they will take.
Currently, TESU would NOT take your son's Shmoop courses. However, I wouldn't take the situation lying down. I'd get in touch with both TESU and Shmoop and push for some accommodation. You relied on publicly available information to plan your son's courses and they shouldn't just pull the rug out, especially when he's that close. As far as ALEKS, it's as sure as any ACE credit can ever be. I'd go for it, especially if you plan to use it sooner rather than later.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Sapientes
(05-07-2018, 12:37 PM)dapolochamp Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 09:07 AM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: I am trying to follow the threads about Shmoop credits not transferring to TESU, but we are still pretty new on this journey.  My son just completed his 21st credit through Shmoop last week, so I am a little unsettled about this news.  He had not applied to TESU yet as he just turned 18 and has not graduated high school yet (he will in 2 weeks), so they wouldn't let him.  I'm guessing all these credits are just lost.  He was mapping out his degree for TESU and had completed almost all his gen-ed type credits.  I'm just making sure that this is correct since he wasn't officially enrolled in TESU.  Kinda stinks because I had emailed them about some of these courses a few months ago and they said they would unofficially count.  

No, TESU does still take Shmoop Credit because it is ace approved. There are certain courses that TESU will take from them but you have to ensure you look on the forum and only do the one that they will take.

The email I got from TESU the other day said Shmoop was suspended totally, as of now. I would not do any Shmoop courses with the intention of transferring them to TESU until that's resolved. I'm still going to do a few for COSC
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Thank you. davewill, what email/department would be best to get in touch with at TESU?
I would contact TESU and ask WHY Shmoop has been suspended. That would certainly answer some questions we have here. The person who sent out the email is:

Catharine A. Punchello-Cobos
Associate Vice President and University Registrar
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I am halfway through the finite math course at Shmoop. I sent an email asking to be able to complete the course. It does not impact my graduation. I just have had a side program of taking additional math classes. We will see what they have to say. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Yenisei
I got this from Shmoop today, if anyone is interested:

"Thanks for reaching out! We're working with Thomas Edison State University and the team at ACE to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

To give you a quick background on the issue: TESU identified a student who transferred an unusually high number of credits from Shmoop in a short amount of time, and they made the decision to pause their acceptance of Shmoop coursework while they look into the situation further. Please note that this temporary pause in accepting our courses only applies to TESU; no other institutions should be affected by this. "

so essentially, Shmoop is checking to see how someone is gaming the system before they allow any more Shmoop credits. It sounds like ACE is also involved
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • eriehiker, Muldoon
While you're following up with TESU, my suggestion is to send his application (pending hs graduation) to COSC and Excelsior. There is no reason they won't accept Shmoop today, but that may change depending on why TESU won't take Shmoop and how vocal they're going to be about it. BUT, do this fast.
(05-07-2018, 04:04 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I got this from Shmoop today, if anyone is interested:

"Thanks for reaching out! We're working with Thomas Edison State University and the team at ACE to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

To give you a quick background on the issue: TESU identified a student who transferred an unusually high number of credits from Shmoop in a short amount of time, and they made the decision to pause their acceptance of Shmoop coursework while they look into the situation further. Please note that this temporary pause in accepting our courses only applies to TESU; no other institutions should be affected by this. "

so essentially, Shmoop is checking to see how someone is gaming the system before they allow any more Shmoop credits. It sounds like ACE is also involved

So it does seem to be an issue with Shmoop not having a proctored exam system in place, if I read this correctly.  Because it looks like they're thinking it wouldn't be possible for someone to get through that many credits by themselves - they'd have to have help passing that many courses, multiple people logged in from different computers at the same time, or continuous round-the-clock finishing of courses without any time built in for sleeping or taking a break.  Some different things like that.

I get it, and with TEEX, ALEKS, etc. there is a maximum number of credits that you would be bringing in, so it's not a huge issue.  I mean, the most you can do with TEEX is 6cr, and the most with ALEKS was 12 (9 now).  So it's not a large percentage of your degree.

I have a feeling they will be opening the Shmoop thing back up to everyone, or at least allow people to bring in completed courses during a set period of time, and then closing it down - sort of like they gave everyone notice about Study.com downgrades.

Also, I have a feeling that ACE is going to be getting involved here, and may be withdrawing their recommendation if something doesn't change.

This is all speculation on my part, but I don't think it will stop at just one school - if ACE is involved, it will be at all schools.  So anyone who wants to use Shmoop had better get moving and get those courses completed sooner rather than later.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, jsd, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,011 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore