Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Public University System -- APU / AMU
So I'm obviously out of the loop

I just learned about this school from these two posts.

adavis84 Wrote:I'm taking a math course at APU/AMU right now. There is no proctoring requirement for it. They also offer Calc II (using Thinkwell) and there's no mention of a proctoring requirement in the sample syllabus. Might be worth a look for the other courses, too.

hightecrebel Wrote:I'll second the AMU suggestion. They were great for me, and I intend to go back through them to retake a certain course that seems to be the bane of my existence (nothing to do with AMU, just seems like my life ends up in a fast-moving hand-basket both times I took it...).

I looked at their catalog and WOW --- so many courses I want to take.

==========================
Undergraduate Certificate - Explosive Ordnance Disposal
http://catalog.apus.edu/2015/undergradua...losive.htm
Undergraduate Certificate - Space Studies
http://catalog.apus.edu/2015/undergradua.../space.htm
Undergraduate Certificate - Oracle Database
http://catalog.apus.edu/2015/undergradua...tabase.htm
Undergraduate Certificate - Computer Systems and Networks
http://catalog.apus.edu/2015/undergradua...ystems.htm

And they're not terribly expensive.

So according to the posts above some courses don't have proctored exams ?

Do they do the ProctorU thing or what ?

"Explosive Ordnance Disposal" sounds really interesting, but I know I'd be put on a watch list first time I make a forum post LOL

I'm definitely thinking about "Space Studies" -- what an interesting set of courses.

and they have so many interesting science courses
Category

So who else has done courses here ?

What's the general opinion of the courses, labs, exams ... and other ?
I'm with you. They have amazing courses. I'm seriously considering doing my masters there.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I'm only a week into their linear algebra course, but I really like it.

In my experience so far, APU is hyper-focused on customer service. I got same day or even instant answers to my questions before registering and was registered for my course in two days. As a visiting student, the application consists on name, address, SSN (no fee or approval process). I was told there's no credit cap for visiting students (like UND has a 15sh max without enrolling), and all you have to do for pre-reqs is sign a waiver. If it hadn't been for that waiver, the enrollment would have only taken a day.

My course has no proctoring requirement at all. I'm not sure about how other courses will approach it, though. This is unusual compared to many distance programs I've seen/used, but that being said, my local CC had zero proctoring requirements for the 3 courses I took there last spring, so it's not unheard of (although for math it seems pretty rare).

It's a standard-issue online course format: the de rigueur forum posts, a short paper, weekly assignments, final exam. This course uses Pearson MyMathLab and all of the work (besides discussion posts and a short paper) is done there so I don't really get a sense for what it's like taking a course there that's more instructor driven.

Another bonus, which may or may not apply to other courses, was that ALL the materials, including the text book, were included in the tuition price.

I was REALLY surprised when I looked through their catalog. Great selection, great price, RA, letter-graded. I'm surprised it doesn't come up more often around here.

ETA: If I found a bag of money, I'd be all over that space studies cert. Utterly useless to me professionally, but that sounds fun.
COMPELTED
CLEP: Calculus (75), Precalculus (71), Info Sys and Comp Apps (78), College Mathematics (63), College Algebra (65).
SL: Calc I, Calc II, C++, Intro to Religion, Intro to Business, Business Ethics, Prin of Mgmt, Bus. Law, A&P I, A&P II
Study.com: Principles of Marketing, Microbiology
edX: Intro to Dif. Eq., Linear Dif. Eq.
UND Ind. Study: Discrete Math
APU/AMU: Linear Algebra, Mathmatical Modeling
TECEP: Nutrition
B&M: Far too many!
I took three courses from APU and I really enjoyed them. The professors were engaged and interested in their students, the workload was intense (for the two 8-week courses), and like you have seen, their selection of courses is great! I recommend them to fellow-English majors because of the wide variety of English and Lit courses available. Exams yes, but not proctored.
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
I love APUS - and if I had endless piles of money, they have about 5 incredibly interesting degrees I'd be working on. They have really great scheduling as well- without looking it up, I think they have or had 5 week sessions that worked out to something like 8 semesters a year? Yeah- don't quote any of that, my memory is rusty. Anyway, back in the day (2005ish), I looked hard at this school, so did my hubby. We both have NA associate degrees, and this school was a contender for our BA degrees since they used to be the only college that was both RA and NA- I believe they still do accept NA degrees and launder them into RA degrees. They only thing that *I think stops them from just dominating is that they are not as transfer/CLEP friendly as the big 3. I think they cap all of the alternative credit (75% of the degree?) which means taking classes, which isn't the most popular option here- but I think that 75% is a very very nice option. Are you thinking about enrolling?
If I was younger and had more energy I would do everything I could to make this happen!

Bachelor of Science in Public Health

... and if I needed any more credits right now I'd be tempted to at least take the Concentration in Health and Wellness.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
bluebooger Wrote:So according to the posts above some courses don't have proctored exams ?

Do they do the ProctorU thing or what ?

"Explosive Ordnance Disposal" sounds really interesting, but I know I'd be put on a watch list first time I make a forum post LOL

I'm definitely thinking about "Space Studies" -- what an interesting set of courses.

So who else has done courses here ?

What's the general opinion of the courses, labs, exams ... and other ?

EOD is an extremely interesting set of courses. I was about 3/4 of the way into the associates degree for it before I put it on hold. As far as the watchlist...no. But you do end up in some...interesting...discussions when you go through with coursework/textbook from Chemistry of Explosives. Almost missed my flight on that one...

I have never had a proctored exam through them, but I also never took an UL course.

Overall, I'd say they're amazing. Coursework (other than certain make-work classes, like foundations of online learning or whatever it is now...) is normally well thought out and the professors are engaged the entire time. The standard science courses I've taken have all been Thinkwell-derived, with additional discussion boards regarding things like ethics in science and hypothetical situations or experiments.
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
They have a course on interrogation that looks interesting.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
cookderosa Wrote:I think they cap all of the alternative credit (75% of the degree?) which means taking classes, which isn't the most popular option here- but I think that 75% is a very very nice option. Are you thinking about enrolling?

APU's residency requirement is not generous. 30 max for nontraditional including CLEP, AP, IB. 91 max transferred overall. Effectively a residency requirement of 29 credits with a further restriction on non-traditional credits. This school is great for transferring out, not transferring in.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:APU's residency requirement is not generous. 30 max for nontraditional including CLEP, AP, IB. 91 max transferred overall. Effectively a residency requirement of 29 credits with a further restriction on non-traditional credits. This school is great for transferring out, not transferring in.

wow, just looked at the link
Excelsior exams are considered nontraditional

that really sucks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 5,879 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,449 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 322 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,723 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,768 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 745 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,312 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,764 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 403 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar