Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume advise
Hi everyone I was not sure where to post this and since there probably is a lot of adults like me pursuing college degrees I thought this would be a perfect place. So a position for a supervisor just came up. My boss is encouraging me to apply for the position. However I'm almost certain that they are going to want a resume and I've worked in the same place for over a decade so I haven't had to fill out a resume in awhile. 
I'm working towards three degrees currently but unfortunately I have no completed a single one yet. I'm currently five units away from an Electronics degree at TESU utilizing my Navy schooling and classes that I've taken in college. I need two more units in Electronics and the capstone. I'm also three classes away from an Associate's in Business at my local college.
I decided awhile back to pursue the BSBA in Accounting due to the way my job pays for classes and the TESU residency requirement. I was going to complete the electronics degree once I was done with my BSBA and had residency at TESU. The associate's in Business would just tack on once I was done with my math requirements for the BSBA. 
There is some politics being played out and I think that they are thinking about promoting a female coworker into that position. I have far more experience in the field and my boss has a say in the process and I'm sure he will root for me. 
However she has an Associate in Liberals Arts and a Bachelors in Kinisiology from a local University. I on the other hand have around 100 college credits and no degree. 
My question is what is everyone's thoughts on putting related coursework under my resume? I've been reading some online posts and it seems this more geared towards people with little work history. 
Also the classes that I've taken pertain more to the position that I'm applying for. Classes like Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Business Communications. The company that I work for has tried to become more "corporate" in the last few years and they love to use Business terminology. Years ago when I inquired about moving into that position I was told that it was more of "Business" position and since I was a technician that I didn't have the relevant training.
I would think that a major in business administration with concentration in accounting would already explain what you've studied. The classes that you've taken are standard in a business administration program. If you guesstimate a completion date of, let's say September 2020, then they know you've completed about three years' worth of classes.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • davewill
Hi - I'm brand new here, but saw your post. I'm an adult learner returning to school to finish my Bachelor's degree as I send my oldest off to her freshman year of college. Several years ago, my husband was sending out his resume for a new when he was one semester away from getting his Bachelor's. So we put on his resume an expected graduation date. He had several companies contact him and he eventually got a really good job. I would put an expected graduation date for BOTH your Associates and Bachelors in Business. It shows you are working towards both and how close you are to getting finished so the reader will understand that you already have several relevant business courses that you have already successfully completed. Here's how we did his in 2011.

Bachelor of Science, Business Administration - University of Phoenix (Graduation 2012)

Best of luck to you!
(09-30-2019, 09:41 PM)kevie Wrote: Hi - I'm brand new here, but saw your post.  I'm an adult learner returning to school to finish my Bachelor's degree as I send my oldest off to her freshman year of college.  Several years ago, my husband was sending out his resume for a new when he was one semester away from getting his Bachelor's.  So we put on his resume an expected graduation date.  He had several companies contact him and he eventually got a really good job.  I would put an expected graduation date for BOTH your Associates and Bachelors in Business.  It shows you are working towards both and how close you are to getting finished so the reader will understand that you already have several relevant business courses that you have already successfully completed.  Here's how we did his in 2011.

Bachelor of Science, Business Administration - University of Phoenix (Graduation 2012)

Best of luck to you!

I would put "Expected Graduation XX/XXXX" rather than "graduation" because it could be misleading (especially if you put the year and it already IS that year, like if you were going to graduate in December 2012 and it was June 2012).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,098 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,048 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 2,566 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 6,362 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 5,280 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 3,423 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads
  Resume Question rlw74 8 2,249 07-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cookderosa