Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another article about transfer problems
It's amazing that in the whole article, they don't mention that there ARE schools that will take their transfer credits or suggest that students shop until they find a school that will.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-new...ontext=amp
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-25-2018, 02:59 AM)davewill Wrote: It's amazing that in the whole article, they don't mention that there ARE schools that will take their transfer credits or suggest that students shop until they find a school that will.

The folks in this article seem like kids who are taking courses at local B&M schools and are not aware that there are other options. Many of them could transfer to one of the "big 4" schools (including WGU) and get most of their credits accepted but even if made aware they wouldn't consider it because those are online schools, and there are still a lot of people who believe that online degrees are worthless.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
It depends. For the nursing student, the Big 3 aren't an option. WGU is not an option in most states. There are, however, many, many nursing programs that will accept a microbiology course taken at any regionally accredited school.

It annoys me when people get paranoid about attending CCs because their "credits may not transfer." CCs almost always have articulation agreements with local universities, especially public ones. Some states even have laws that require public schools to accept credits from each other. People are just lazy and uninformed. 

My sister wanted to speed up earning her degree by taking community college courses over the summer, but she changed her mind because "the credits may not transfer." Not only could she have gotten these courses pre-approved at her university, but Texas law requires them to accept those credits. She never enrolled at the CC even though I told her this.

Now that she sees that I make more money than her with my online degrees, she's considering getting one to go into accounting. Before, she was telling me that I should forget about the credits I earned online and start all over at a brick and mortar.

By the way, that lady and the author are idiots. You can't expect to use 15-year-old science credits as prerequisites.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
2018: the era when people are totally fine with conducting their entire social and dating lives through the internet, but balk at the idea of taking an online class.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 7 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • acamp, dfrecore, Life Long Learning, Merlin, MNomadic, Muldoon, Sapientes
Ugggghhh. How frustrating!!! It breaks my heart to hear these kinds of stories because "transparency" should be par for the course, but it's not!!

People don't even know what they don't know- and what to ask - and that there are options at every turn. I could dissect her mistakes till the cows come home, but it's not just her. You read this kind of story time and time again. I was surprised that she "only" spent $25,000 playing wack-a-mole with her credits.

(11-25-2018, 03:37 AM)sanantone Wrote: People are just lazy and uninformed.... She never enrolled at the CC even though I told her this.

See, I think you've hit the nail on the head - it may seem like people are lazy or uninformed, but even when presented with valuable information from someone they can trust (a sister with multiple degrees) there is still a hesitation to go against the grain. I think most people are encouraged and rewarded by society / schools / parents to be compliant and agreeable. If you're the rebel who does his own thing, it's hard to understand why everyone else doesn't do that too, but I think it's the rebel that's the exception- not the student in the story.
I have discussed this with current students, ex-military, and even my own children. The system has a form of brainwashing that is solidly in place, and they see what I have done as much harder than just sitting. Most won't act but some do and I help those people who are willing to take action. My kids did do CLEP, DSST, and AP while in high school but once in college, they have been hesitant.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I will say that this is the most difficult thing I deal with in helping kids plan out the transfer from a CC to a 4-yr state school where there are articulation agreements! It's not "hard" per se, but it's complicated here in CA.

Step 1) you have to make sure that you are looking at the right template to get your credits completed at the CC to meet the requirements for a simple transfer - and there are 3 options; the IGETC form used by UC schools (9 University of CA schools); the CSU Advising Guide is used by CSU school (23 schools with the name "state" in them); and the AA/AS form for someone who just wants to get an AA/AS/AAS. They vary in the number of credits, and are between 34-39cr, meaning that you're pretty open for the remaining 21-26cr to get the 60cr required before you can transfer.

Step 2) you have to make sure that the courses you are taking for your intended major will also transfer. My daughter's friend saw that she could take Speech OR Small Group Comm for the Oral Comm requirement at her local CC, and it would transfer to the college she wants to go to. BUT, Speech is a requirement for her major - so she could have taken Small Group Comm, and it would have transferred, but then she would STILL have to take Speech at the 4-yr school. This part requires the use of the major form from the 4-yr school, to make sure it lines up with the CC transfer guide, including using ASSIST (an online tool to make sure the courses you take line up with the courses you need). It's a great tool, but it doesn't have everything for sure.

Step 3) you have to make sure that these line up with the courses you need for your major if you have one at the CC.

It's really a matter of taking the first sheet, crossing out anything that doesn't work from the 2nd sheet, and then adding in anything else from the 3rd sheet. Like I said, it's not rocket science - but it is complicated, and I've been doing it for years and it still takes me a while to map out a degree plan for someone wanting to do it. It really narrows down the course list for some degrees. Let's not even mention that when you need a course to remain a full-time student, but can't get what you need because they are full, or don't offer a course this semester, or whatever...and you might end up taking a course just because you need the credits (kid in this example plays soccer for the school, so HAS to maintain a certain number of courses each semester).

When I sit down and explain everything to them, the kids always say "Oh my gosh, how come no one has explained this to me???" It's not that they're dumb or naive or anything like that - it's just that no one at the CC tells them how it works, and it's like the blind leading the blind. It's ridiculous.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, Muldoon
Tongue 
(11-25-2018, 05:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I will say that this is the most difficult thing I deal with in helping kids plan out the transfer from a CC to a 4-yr state school where there are articulation agreements! It's not "hard" per se, but it's complicated here in CA.

Step 1) you have to make sure that you are looking at the right template to get your credits completed at the CC to meet the requirements for a simple transfer - and there are 3 options; the IGETC form used by UC schools (9 University of CA schools); the CSU Advising Guide is used by CSU school (23 schools with the name "state" in them); and the AA/AS form for someone who just wants to get an AA/AS/AAS. They vary in the number of credits, and are between 34-39cr, meaning that you're pretty open for the remaining 21-26cr to get the 60cr required before you can transfer.

Step 2) you have to make sure that the courses you are taking for your intended major will also transfer. My daughter's friend saw that she could take Speech OR Small Group Comm for the Oral Comm requirement at her local CC, and it would transfer to the college she wants to go to. BUT, Speech is a requirement for her major - so she could have taken Small Group Comm, and it would have transferred, but then she would STILL have to take Speech at the 4-yr school. This part requires the use of the major form from the 4-yr school, to make sure it lines up with the CC transfer guide, including using ASSIST (an online tool to make sure the courses you take line up with the courses you need). It's a great tool, but it doesn't have everything for sure.

Step 3) you have to make sure that these line up with the courses you need for your major if you have one at the CC.

It's really a matter of taking the first sheet, crossing out anything that doesn't work from the 2nd sheet, and then adding in anything else from the 3rd sheet. Like I said, it's not rocket science - but it is complicated, and I've been doing it for years and it still takes me a while to map out a degree plan for someone wanting to do it. It really narrows down the course list for some degrees. Let's not even mention that when you need a course to remain a full-time student, but can't get what you need because they are full, or don't offer a course this semester, or whatever...and you might end up taking a course just because you need the credits (kid in this example plays soccer for the school, so HAS to maintain a certain number of courses each semester).

When I sit down and explain everything to them, the kids always say "Oh my gosh, how come no one has explained this to me???" It's not that they're dumb or naive or anything like that - it's just that no one at the CC tells them how it works, and it's like the blind leading the blind. It's ridiculous.

that is really complex. I think you should move to North Carolina! LOL
(11-25-2018, 11:21 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: 2018: the era when people are totally fine with conducting their entire social and dating lives through the internet, but balk at the idea of taking an online class.

The number of people taking online classes is growing (6.3 million in 2016), but I think people feel most comfortable with taking an online class at the school they're currently attending on campus. Most students are taking online classes at local, public schools. 

https://www.usnews.com/higher-education/...ne-courses
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-25-2018, 03:19 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 02:59 AM)davewill Wrote: It's amazing that in the whole article, they don't mention that there ARE schools that will take their transfer credits or suggest that students shop until they find a school that will.

The folks in this article seem like kids who are taking courses at local B&M schools and are not aware that there are other options. Many of them could transfer to one of the "big 4" schools (including WGU) and get most of their credits accepted but even if made aware they wouldn't consider it because those are online schools, and there are still a lot of people who believe that online degrees are worthless.

Until I stumbled across this forum, I had no clue how many alternative forms of credit there were.
I'm transferring from a school that was an excellerated quarter system but everywhere, even the Big 3, has treated my credits as semester so they are valued at 2/3rds.
I'm glad to have found a school that will help me finish my degree but I think that in general we need to have more conversations about the overall value and cost of four year degrees. I don't even want to think about how much money I could have saved if I had known there were more options for earning credit than AP tests when I first started this journey.
Working on TESU BSBA Operations Management. Graduating 2019
Courses (6cr): OPM 411, OPM 415
SDC (12cr): ENG 105, BUS 120, BUS 312, LIB 101
CLEP (12cr): Humanities, Natural Sciences
The Institutes (2cr): Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,636 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 714 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,746 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 715 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article about DegreeForum journey smartdegree 11 1,317 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 673 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
  Super cool transfer tool - Franklin University cookderosa 11 3,066 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM
  Do Capstones Transfer? Insert Name 5 727 07-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore