Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone care to guinea pig Coursera certs?
(07-28-2022, 01:27 PM)muu9 Wrote: Oh I see, so there are (newly?) ACE-approved Coursera courses, and only some of them have been accepted by TESU, so in exchange for us getting free coursera premium, we take the risk of no credit for the sake of the community knowing

Are the Google and IBM certifications the only ACE-recommended courses available?

Only some have been accepted by TESU that we know of. They're probably accepted, but may come in as less credit than expected. Example: Google IT Professional cert is supposed to be worth 12 credits, but TESU only counts it as 3. They may also not count some of the certs as UL credit, only LL credit. We don't know.

No, Google and IBM aren't the only ACE-recommended courses. Check out the wiki page. Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Several new Coursera courses have ACE recommendations including: Advanceing Women in Tech, SAS, and Deep learning AI.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-Coursera
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thumbs Up 
(07-26-2022, 02:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I've recently been made aware of a way to get "Coursera Plus" for free. This method also includes (for now) the IBM certs. I am not going to publicly post it (yet) because I don't want it to turn into another freebie that gets taken away when everyone rushes in. 

But, if you PM me, I will share the method with students who want to take these certs, transfer them, and then report back what they've transferred as. There are potentially some UL credits available. Personally, I'm particularly interested in TESU equivalencies. But anything that's currently blank on the charts on the wiki will work. It'd also be helpful if you reported back how easy/difficult you found the certificates/specializations. 

Credits could also be good for technical credits for Pierpont's AAS to (hopefully) access the BAS at UMPI. I'll add a column for Pierpont if people start reporting those equivalencies.

I'm interested. I've sent you the PM.
My husband is aiming for the IBM Full Stack Developer coursera class after the data analytics is complete.
If you haven't been able to get in, I've been informed that seats "expire out" at around noon Pacific/3pm Eastern. If you try at that time, there is a good chance of being able to get in.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Was anyone able to join the program? If so how did you manage to do it? Thank you
(07-26-2022, 02:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I've recently been made aware of a way to get "Coursera Plus" for free. This method also includes (for now) the IBM certs. I am not going to publicly post it (yet) because I don't want it to turn into another freebie that gets taken away when everyone rushes in. 

But, if you PM me, I will share the method with students who want to take these certs, transfer them, and then report back what they've transferred as. There are potentially some UL credits available. Personally, I'm particularly interested in TESU equivalencies. But anything that's currently blank on the charts on the wiki will work. It'd also be helpful if you reported back how easy/difficult you found the certificates/specializations. 

Credits could also be good for technical credits for Pierpont's AAS to (hopefully) access the BAS at UMPI. I'll add a column for Pierpont if people start reporting those equivalencies.

This thread is a little old now, I just wanted to note the IBM certs are not included in Coursera Plus? At least when I had it I couldn't complete most of them. They have a separate fee..

I have done pretty much all the IBM certs though. The only two missing are Fullstack (half finished) and Data Engineering (half finished). I just did as much as I could inside the free trial periods each time. I am probably not going to pay to finish those ones bc they are very expensive (1 of the 5 left for DE is 75 euros a month! Sad ).

I got a whole bucketload of credit from TESU for the ones I did complete, the problem is they don't tell you which class is for which certificate. You can see there are some repeats. All were 3 cr bar one noted below, and only 6 cr were given as UL.

COS-206 R Programming - repeat
DSI-150 Intro to Database Queries
DSI-200 Interpretive Data Analysis - repeat
DSI-299 Special Topics Data Sci/Analyt
DSI-322 Interactive Data Visualization
DSI-200 Interpretive Data Analysis - repeat
DSI-299 Special Topics Data Sci/Analyt (6 credits)
DSI-399 Special Topics Data Sci/Analyt
COS-205 Python Programming
DSI-200 Interpretive Data Analysis
DSI-299 Special Topics Data Sci/Analyt
COS-206 R Programming
ITS-130 Database Fundamentals
ITS-199 Special Topics in Information
ITS-231 Database Programming
COS-199 Special Topics in Computer Sci (I think this is WIT AWS Cloud Product Management)

Was it worth it? Maybe. I did them all in the 7 day trial period each time (averaged 3-4 days) so I haven't paid anything, and I think the process took around 21-28 days total. But they aren't useful toward my degree. So, an interesting sidequest. If you're trying to reduce the number of credits for the Data Science degree at TESU it would be worth it.
[-] The following 3 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • AllThose299s, bluebooger, Pikachu
(08-22-2022, 08:03 AM)CatzCrazy Wrote: Was anyone able to join the program? If so how did you manage to do it? Thank you

Yes, you have to keep checking at about 3pm Eastern/12pm Pacific. Some people have been able to get in after just a couple of days, others have taken since the thread began. There is an element of luck to the whole thing.

(08-22-2022, 08:25 AM)sarahmac Wrote: This thread is a little old now, I just wanted to note the IBM certs are not included in Coursera Plus? At least when I had it I couldn't complete most of them. They have a separate fee.

Not with standard Coursera Plus, no. But they are included in the program I've been telling people about. Otherwise, yes, they would be a separate fee. This can be worth it. Hopefully, we'll have enough feedback soon to be able to tell exactly how worth it is for most people.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(08-22-2022, 08:34 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 08:03 AM)CatzCrazy Wrote: Was anyone able to join the program? If so how did you manage to do it?  Thank you

Yes, you have to keep checking at about 3pm Eastern/12pm Pacific. Some people have been able to get in after just a couple of days, others have taken since the thread began. There is an element of luck to the whole thing.

(08-22-2022, 08:25 AM)sarahmac Wrote: This thread is a little old now, I just wanted to note the IBM certs are not included in Coursera Plus? At least when I had it I couldn't complete most of them. They have a separate fee.

Not with standard Coursera Plus, no. But they are included in the program I've been telling people about. Otherwise, yes, they would be a separate fee. This can be worth it. Hopefully, we'll have enough feedback soon to be able to tell exactly how worth it is for most people.

I would be interested in joining the program if possible. That way I could finish Fullstack and Data Engineering. I have five courses left of each so I would likely finish by the end of the month. Sorry the list I have so far isn't too helpful. I should have sent the certificates in one at a time ..
(08-22-2022, 08:46 AM)sarahmac Wrote: I would be interested in joining the program if possible. That way I could finish Fullstack and Data Engineering. I have five courses left of each so I would likely finish by the end of the month. Sorry the list I have so far isn't too helpful. I should have sent the certificates in one at a time ..

If you can report back about Fullstack & Data Engineering at least, that'd be great.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AWIT Real-world Cloud Product (Coursera) Transfer cizzie 26 3,260 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,493 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to Coursera certificates & specializations rachel83az 14 11,201 11-20-2023, 09:05 PM
  Coursera- some marked as "Optional" basilia 3 616 10-22-2023, 11:58 PM
  Coursera IT splirow 14 2,454 03-06-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: splirow
  Another Coursera course? rachel83az 3 833 01-15-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: slaterjack
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,523 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Coursera certs for free? Personherebb9 5 1,385 11-15-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Coursera Google IT courses not available all at once? bdarei 6 2,333 10-23-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: bdarei
  New credit sources on Coursera rachel83az 66 8,831 09-16-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Blckbuster