Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever tranfer credit from a foreign univ to TESC?
walternc3 Wrote:It was a Statistics class but like Dcan said who knows what TESC will call it. I think what I'm going to do is just wait till July and then pay the $160 to WES to get the course evaluated. Then I'll see what TESC has to say about it after I pay my TESC tuition late August. If they don't accept it then I'll just go back and do Stats through ALEKS. I'm just going to call the 160 bucks the cost of sitting at the roulette table and hope for the best. This forum has been extremely helpful to my pursuits. I appreciate everyone's imput on this one.

Suggestion: Since you are taking all of your tests in September, but you don't have a hard requirement to complete in September (i.e. you said you will take classes / etc after that to fill gaps), then I say blow off the math entirely for now. Focus on the tests as this is your big chance to knock out those credits. Don't waste brain space with anything that you won't need in September. By then you should know if the course was accepted, and if not you can pound ALEKS after finishing all your tests.

Also, EI2HCB has a great point about transferring in grad credit. I didn't even think about that angle. So you are hedging your bets twice here, definitely not a bad idea.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Too late with the math thing. I already spent another 35 hours in the last 4 days busting out intermediate algebra through ALEKS. I've thought this through a great deal and to be honest with you after reviewing the amount of information I'll have to absorb I'm not at all concerned with most of those tests. I could pass half of them right now with only an hour prep time each. Many of them seem pretty remedial. The only ones that I'm halfway concerned about are the ones that actually require thinking vs. just memorizing facts. The other thing that concerns me is the TECEP exams because I'll actually have to prepare my own study materials from scratch and there isn't much feedback on them. I'm still waiting for my textbooks to arrive from America. They should get here in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I've been creating my own fill in the blank exams for each subject based on the instantcert information that I didn't already know. Come test day I'll only have to do a half hour review using my notes in the parking lot of the testing facility. If there's extra time in my schedule between now and then I'll knock down a couple of straighterline courses as well but you're right, the 26 exams are my first priority. We'll see what happens in September. I'm having a lot of fun-or at least I've convinced myself that I am.
I was able to transfer 80 peruvian credits to TESC using Educational Credential (the ECE guys on TESC page) without any problem.
TESC was also accomodating enough to allow me to correct some mistakes on the translations.
thanks for the feedback "ronaldemail1" .
Hi all,
Dcan, Sanantone, or anyone, how accurate are these quotes;
Quote:A TESC BSBA requires "Precalculus Mathematics or Quantitative Business Analysis." With ALEKS trig you have filled this block.
Quote:TESC will even accept ALEKS trigonometry to fulfill the quantitative/precalculus requirement.

I've completed ALEKS trig. but my advisor seems to be pushing me to take Precalculus.
Thanks
I don't have personal experience with this yet, but other people on this forum have had trig transcribed as precalculus. Maybe someone who has done this recently will chime in. Your advisor is pushing you, but have you submitted an ALEKS transcript to have it evaluated? TESC advisors are wrong a lot. One advisor is known for pushing students not to take FEMA courses to fill free electives, but they're still accepted.
This is excerpted directly from my academic eval I just pulled out of the TESC student services system: (I only pulled out the relevant parts)

Code:
F: Precalculus  (Completed)
      > Take 3 semester hours of Quantitative Business Analysis or
      > Precalculus. Students who have  completed College Algebra
      > should take MAT-129 to avoid duplication of credit.
          Src Course #   Title                     S.H.    Grd TESC #     Notes
          1.. MAT-129... Precalculus for Technolog 3.00    CR  MAT-129    *NE

G: Statistics (Completed)
      > Complete 3 semester hours in Principles of Statistics.
          1.. STA-201... Principles of Statistics. 3.00    CR  STA-201    *NE

I: General Educ Elects (In Progress)
      > Complete 21 semester hours in humanities, social sciences
      > and natural sciences/mathematics (any combination).
!! Exception
   Under in Man Comm 1sh, Nat Sci 1 sh
   Over in SS .33 sh
   22.67 sh req

Semester Hours Completed: 13.00   Required: 22.67   Remaining: 9.67
          1.. MAT-121... College Algebra.......... 3.00    CR  MAT-121    *NE
          2.. EDP1203    Princ of Database Appl... 1.00    CR  CIS-101    *CC *TE
          1.. LIT-291    Analysis & Interpre Liter (3.00)  --- LIT-291    *PL *TE
          1.. MAT-103    General Math II.......... (3.00)  --- MAT-103    *PL *TE
          1.. MAT-102    General Math I........... (3.00)  --- MAT-102    *PL *TE

*NE    Non-course Equivalency

MAT-129 was really ALEKS Trig
STA-201 was really ALEKS Intro Stats
MAT-121 was really ALEKS College Algebra

MAT-102/103 are the College Math CLEP.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:Would you report back here with a status on (a) how your courses were evaluated by WES and (b) how they were accepted at TESC? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Well, I received my evaluation from WES today and here is how they credited my Scottish qualifications, all at lower level due to them being taken in high school and first year of college:

High School

Higher Exams
Chemistry 4.0
English 4.0
Geography 4.0
Mathematics 4.0
Physics 4.0

Advanced Higher Exam
Chemistry 4.0

College

Building Engineering 5.0
Building Design 5.0
Building Performance 5.0
Mathematics, Statistics & Information Technology 5.0
Cost Studies 5.0
Economics 5.0
Legal Studies 5.0
French 5.0
Art Workshop 3.0
Building Technology & Environment 3.0
Chemistry Laboratory Techniques 3.0
Software Development 3.0
Information Systems & Services 3.0
Stand Alone Computer Systems Support 3.0
Computer Architecture 3.0
Data Analysis & Database Design 3.0
Information Technology Applications I 3.0
Information Technology Applications II 3.0
Multi-User Operating Systems 3.0
Introducing the Internet 3.0
Communication 3.0
Software Development Life Cycle 3.0

I will update again when TESC has posted them to let you know how they are transcribed.

Steven

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,501 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,088 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 27,019 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,687 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,015 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,649 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,107 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,606 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,622 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom