Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone with ideas for retirees willing to move away from US?
I have friends who are asking questions about Costa Rica and other places, like Brazil, to retire to as their limited fixed income will not go very far.

Can anyone share knowledge on these areas -- as far as cost of living, safety, medical care, etc.

Any other places to suggest.

Thinking some who have served in the military may have traveled enough to have some input.

Someone said Brazil has some nice areas once away from big cities, but want $2000 per month per person income proven before giving a 'retiree's visa'. Someone else said Uraquay it is $500 and they don't have income tax if you decide to work, but Brazil does.

I haven't a clue about any of this.

All I think of is reports of many of the South American and Central American countries having problems, at least in the past, with crime and abduction of Americans.

Can anyone enlighten us?
I missed this the first time around, but it ties in with my future plans. My goal is to retire (work only because I want to) at 40 and live overseas, so I've done quite a bit of research on the topic. I'm always on the lookout for new places to visit and add to the list, but I've never been to Brazil so I can't speak on that subject. Thus far, I've narrowed my list down to:

Panama (Great benefits for retired Americans, good expat community, low cost of living, good health care, stable government, economy is tied to the dollar)

Argentina (Just because I have a love affair with the place, low cost of living, decent health care)

Costa Rica (Low cost of living, decent sized expat community, cheap land at the moment, cheap health care, not sure about quality)

Mexico (Low cost of living but you sacrifice the expat community where the land is cheap, health care not so sure about)

Thailand (Low cost of living, I love the people, cheap AND outstanding health care, no "real" expat community to speak of though unless living in Chang Mai, Phuket, etc.)

All of the above are "safe" with the possible exception of Mexico in the border regions and around the major cities. No more dangerous than an American major city though. Ex-pat communities are in every country, and they tend to form their own enclaves away from the bustle. Find those and they're a good place to start.

Here's a good place to point them to:

International Living

Some great information in there.

Hope that helps. If I come across any of the other resources I've found in the past, I'll be sure to post them here.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
That's a great idea! I would love to save up some money, retire early and live well in another country. Best of luck to both of you on this one.
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:I would love to save up some money, retire early and live well in another country.

Check out "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferriss if you haven't already. I wish I could have read that one when I was in my 20's. It has life-changing potential.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming.

I have also heard of people moving to Beliz but living in S. Florida I can only think of one thing - hurricanes -- they seem to hit areas in Central America like Beliz and Costa Rica as much as we get hit :eek:

It would be nice to leave that behind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,145 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Making The Right Move Is Key Kal Di 2 512 06-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Move some threads to another area dfrecore 8 958 04-26-2022, 07:54 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  West Virginia Will Pay You to Move There sanantone 23 1,981 07-13-2021, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Cambridge First UK Uni to Move to Online-Only for 2020-21 PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 5 1,034 05-21-2020, 03:23 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Wichita Promise Move sanantone 0 924 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  What age did you move out? natshar 13 2,528 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Criminal Justice Dissertation Ideas sanantone 37 3,947 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Last Post: defscarlett
  I Get to Move to the Dissertation Phase sanantone 6 1,017 11-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Thoughts, Suggestions, Ideas? LaterBloomer 4 1,342 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Last Post: alleycat