Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Industrial Psychology Degree or IT Management Systems degree
I am just finishing my capstone course at TESU. I am thinking about graduate school within the next 10 months. I am conflicted in wanting to study, I intend to choose between Industrial Organizational Psychology or  Information Technology Management with emphasis in Cybersecurity. 

Which degrees of study is more worth it down to long run in terms of job security and good salaries.
(01-26-2018, 03:30 PM)lady elektra Wrote: I am just finishing my capstone course at TESU. I am thinking about graduate school within the next 10 months. I am conflicted in wanting to study, I intend to choose between Industrial Organizational Psychology or  Information Technology Management with emphasis in Cybersecurity. 

Which degrees of study is more worth it down to long run in terms of job security and good salaries.

I found this info on the Bureau of Labor Statistics site. The data is from 2016 but should still be relevant. The job outlooks and pay ranges for both are good. Information security analysts have a median income of $92,600 with job growth projected to be 28% per year.  Industrial organizational psychologists have a slightly lower median income of $82,760 and projected job growth of 11.7%. One thing to keep in mind is the job market for industrial organizational psychologist appears to be mostly concentrated within 5 states; so that might be a tie-breaker for you.
Keep in mind that if you don't already have a background in InfoSec, you're going to need a lot more than 10 graduate courses in order to really learn anything or get anywhere in the field.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • quigongene
It also depends on what you think you can pass more easily. If you told me to choose between those 2 for myself, I would have to go with IO, because I would be terrible taking the courses in IT.

But if you are good at IT and can pass the classes and get the certs, then I'd advise that. The job growth there is much higher.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would recommend to take some time deciding on these two, it's not always about the job security and the money. You need to see how you like each Area of Study. If you don't like one over the other, it's useless if you hate the job you're going into. My suggestion is, if you have people you work with that have one of those degrees, ask what their typical work day is like.

One degree is an organizational degree, specifically the industries or most likely the manufacturing or trades. The other degree relates to CyberSecurity - an information systems degree would most likely be a requirement. Find out what is required as prereq's for each degree and if you have them. Did you take some CyberSecurity courses yet? If not, take the FREE TEEX ones to see if that's for you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,351 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,018 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,866 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 782 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,542 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,187 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,026 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Help - Masters Degree Advice bdcmetal666 12 3,123 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM
  Universidad Central De Nicaragua - Psychology bjcheung77 32 5,819 11-15-2023, 08:13 PM