Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC - Second Bachelor's (interdisciplinary)
I thought about that...but the issue would be finding enough UL credits and diversity to fill it out. It DOES say 9 electives can be in Psychology. All nine could be UL. I can pick up six more with Managerial Communication and Leadership Communication through SDC. That's 15 UL credits right there. Maybe more than I need. Then I just need 12 more communication credits + capstone.
Communications 102 Interpersonal, 120 (NCCRS) Presentation Skills in the Workplace, and 301 Diversity and Intercultural Communication from SDC. Maybe an additional marketing class.
That would be 12 if the marketing class counted toward "advertising."

And I can apply three communication courses from my previous degree to it that might be necessary to hit the diversity. (Speech Communication, Business Communication, Journalism 101). This might actually be doable.... I guess I need to contact COSC and see if they'll give me some direction as to whether these courses would meet the criteria.
(06-10-2019, 05:14 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: I thought about that...but the issue would be finding enough UL credits and diversity to fill it out. It DOES say 9 electives can be in Psychology. All nine could be UL. I can pick up six more with Managerial Communication and Leadership Communication through SDC.  That's 15 UL credits right there. Maybe more than I need. Then I just need 12 more communication credits + capstone.
Communications 102 Interpersonal, 120 (NCCRS) Presentation Skills in the Workplace, and 301 Diversity and Intercultural Communication from SDC. Maybe an additional marketing class.
That would be 12 if the marketing class counted toward "advertising."

And I can apply three communication courses from my previous degree to it that might be necessary to hit the diversity. (Speech Communication, Business Communication, Journalism 101). This might actually be doable.... I guess I need to contact COSC and see if they'll give me some direction as to whether these courses would meet the criteria.

Let's see, you need 9 credits for the Communication Theory and Philosophy. You already have speech communication. Taking Interpersonal communication and intercultural communication at study.com should get the other 6 credits. 

You need 3 credits for communication methods and you already have Organizational Communication so that requirement is taken care of and is upper level.

You need 6 credits in Applied Communication and you already have Journalism. I was also thinking that maybe a marketing class would count for advertising. They seem like they would go together. Worth a try. 

You also need 15 elective credits. You have Business Communication which should count. Adding in Managerial Communication, leadership communication, presentation skills in the workplace and maybe a psychology or sociology class can fulfill this one. I see that they mention Media Literacy as an option too. Might be a cheap option from Shmoop for a lower-level course if you end up needing it. 

Upper level wise, you will have the Organizational Communication and the Capstone for sure. Managerial Communication and Leadership Communication will be upper-level. I wouldn't be surprised if intercultural communication came into COSC as upper-level because they offer it as upper-level credit. Regardless it shouldn't be hard to get the rest of the upper-level credits through Psychology or Sociology if they do accept that. 

To me, it sounds like a solid option for you if you think that it will check the communications box for you. I don't think you will have a problem with the diversity of the classes. I would be interested to see where they place some of your previous classes on an advising report before taking some of the new classes. I have noticed that they are generous in using Organizational Behavior for many requirements you would not expect it to fit in and that is an upper-level class.
Since you're an alum now, would you be so kind as to fill out the ambassador form and referring me so I can get an application fee waiver code? https://app.etapestry.com/onlineforms/Ch...sador.html
If so, private Message me and I'll give you the details to fill in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • ztkerls
(06-13-2019, 12:55 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: Since you're an alum now, would you be so kind as to fill out the ambassador form and referring me so I can get an application fee waiver code? https://app.etapestry.com/onlineforms/Ch...sador.html
If so, private Message me and I'll give you the details to fill in.

Wow, I did not know that they did that. I would be happy to. I will send you a PM now.
I tried to refer myself and got a rejection email saying "This is meant to refer other people. Not yourself. So we cannot provide you a waiver code at this time." *eyeroll*
I got an email from the lady you have to email to ask permission to seek a second bachelor's. I gave her a lot of course detail and asked if it would fulfill a degree plan. She granted me permission to seek a second degree but said she wasn't sure my classes would fulfill degree requirements, and that I needed to apply and work on a plan with an adviser. So I guess I'll do that, see if the dog will hunt, and go from there. It may amount to nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,706 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,752 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 731 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,308 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,035 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,292 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,656 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,174 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,882 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,628 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso