Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are all capstones intense writing?
Hi

I'm currently in LIB-495 capstone and all this writing is killing me (I'm not a strong writer and spend days writing one paper and with ADHD am unorganized and can't find the articles I want to quote because I don't remember which ones had what info). I'm really struggling with the writing piece.

I started looking at grad programs and am assuming they all have capstones (looking at competency based programs). Is that a safe assumption? And are they all writing like this??  

I don't know if I can do this again. Sad

Thanks for any input. It's been a tough day.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(12-27-2019, 08:47 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: Hi

I'm currently in LIB-495 capstone and all this writing is killing me (I'm not a strong writer and spend days writing one paper and with ADHD am unorganized and can't find the articles I want to quote because I don't remember which ones had what info). I'm really struggling with the writing piece.

I started looking at grad programs and am assuming they all have capstones (looking at competency based programs). Is that a safe assumption? And are they all writing like this??  

I don't know if I can do this again. Sad

Thanks for any input. It's been a tough day.

To organize, use a APA generator, it was a life saver when I recently took Bus Capstone at TESU. My favorite choice. EasyBib, the pro version is $10/month and its so worth the price and it includes grammar checker. Add all the interesting articles to the APA generator with a brief internal note of why its being used. Remember to remove the un-cited articles from the APA generator before it creates the APA document.
Thank you very much for this. I’m using MyBib now and it’s great but I can’t make notes which would be perfect! I’m going to look at this right now.

Really appreciate it.

Would you know anything about the grad school capstones?
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(12-27-2019, 08:47 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: I started looking at grad programs and am assuming they all have capstones (looking at competency based programs). Is that a safe assumption? And are they all writing like this??  

It varies based on the degree you're pursuing and whether you're at a research college or not, but in general, you will be doing a LOT more writing at the graduate level that you did in undergrad. The TESU capstone felt more like a graduate-level course in terms of the writing.

FYI, many master's degree programs require a thesis and most doctoral programs will require a dissertation. These are time and research intensive papers that require a ton of writing that takes place over months (or years for dissertations). This is in addition to the writing that is required for each course in the degree program.

Even if you're looking at professional degrees instead of research degrees, which tend to have capstones or projects rather than a thesis or dissertation, you'll still end up with quite a bit of writing along the way, particularly in the final project/capstone.

Most online degrees, particularly competency-based ones, are very writing intensive. The exception being WGU, which requires a mix of papers, projects, and presentations in addition to exams in their master's degree programs. Though many of the programs are changing, and WGU appears to be moving away from exams and more towards papers, projects, and presentations in the graduate courses.

That said, you shouldn't let academic writing scare you. The more papers you write the better and faster you get at it. I used to be much slower at writing but after going through my undergrad capstone and completing my MBA, I prefer writing over exams now. APA formatting is second nature now as well.

I'm looking at doctorate programs, and the way I see it, all the writing at the masters level is there to help prepare you for the writing at the doctoral level. So I'm not too worried other than the time requirements.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • alab21, suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Professional/Creative Writing Alpha 9 1,333 04-04-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Exclamation Masters help I hate writing papers angellicarob 19 5,216 05-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Graduate program-less writing intensive monroe18 8 2,098 10-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Group Capstones/Dissertations sanantone 2 1,422 07-23-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  writing prep for grad school ajs1976 11 2,498 03-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Last Post: april004