Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Math classes on Study.com any good?
I haven't seen any reviews about SDC math classes. I plan on pursuing the BA in CS degree at TESU. I plan on taking more than the required math classes for that degree, but I need to know if their classes actually teach me Algebra and Calculus.
CC: 42 credits
Sophia: 6 Credits
Study: 6 credits
SL: 18 credits
The Institutes: 2 credits
Honestly, no they don't teach math well enough. You can certainly learn math independently (through cheap and free sources) and then use SDC as a cheapish way to get the credit.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • Sapientes, tifferbugz
I would say that if you need to learn math from Algebra on up, Study.com is going to be too expensive. I would do Khan Academy for free, and actually go through every possible course that you can, starting as low as you need to to make sure that you don't have any gaps in your knowledge.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, Sapientes
I've done Geometry and Discrete Math through Study.com. Both of them were okay, but definitely not as good as some of the free online resources (like Khan Academy, or School Yourself). So if you want to learn the math really well, my recommendation is to learn through one of those methods and then use whatever happens to be the most convenient to turn that knowledge into credit (if you're comfortable in a testing environment I recommend CLEP, but Study.com will work)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • tifferbugz
(12-19-2018, 12:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that if you need to learn math from Algebra on up, Study.com is going to be too expensive.  I would do Khan Academy for free, and actually go through every possible course that you can, starting as low as you need to to make sure that you don't have any gaps in your knowledge.

Is ALEKS still a good credit provider after the changes they made?
(12-19-2018, 01:13 AM)gamebradie Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 12:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that if you need to learn math from Algebra on up, Study.com is going to be too expensive.  I would do Khan Academy for free, and actually go through every possible course that you can, starting as low as you need to to make sure that you don't have any gaps in your knowledge.

Is ALEKS still a good credit provider after the changes they made?

The question you asked was for good course provider to learn math from Algebra through Calculus.  ALEKS is not free, nor does it go through Calculus, so in my opinion, it's not the best learning resource.  It's especially bad if you need to learn other than from reading - watching a video works better for some.

ALEKS is just fine as a course provider, and the price can't be beat.  But it's not how I would personally learn math, because it doesn't have the breadth that you're looking for, and if you really want to learn, I'm not sure why you'd pay $20/mo in perpetuity.  Instead, choose a free resource where you can take your time to really learn the material, and THEN look for a way to get credit.  Credit is fairly easy to get, once you've learned the material.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I took Math 97 because I forgot I needed a math requirement and had to take a proctored test next-day from course completion. It didn't do a very good job "teaching" me math to be honest. There's something missing from the delivery. Every other SDC course I took was a 10/10, which I guess is more of a reflection of my ability to learn math than anything else.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Whatever provider or study source you choose, I urge you to supplement with a good textbook and solutions manual. Mastering math requires doing lots of problems, and if you're teaching yourself, then the solutions manual is priceless. Note: a solutions manual is different from just having answers like the back of a math textbook usually has. The solutions manual will actually walk you through HOW to solve the problems. I don't think I would have gotten through Discrete Math without one. Luckily, textbooks are dirt cheap (like $10 shipped) if you don't have to buy a particular (new) edition and don't care if it's used.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Sapientes
(12-19-2018, 06:17 PM)davewill Wrote: Whatever provider or study source you choose, I urge you to supplement with a good textbook and solutions manual. Mastering math requires doing lots of problems, and if you're teaching yourself, then the solutions manual is priceless. Note: a solutions manual is different from just having answers like the back of a math textbook usually has. The solutions manual will actually walk you through HOW to solve the problems. I don't think I would have gotten through Discrete Math without one. Luckily, textbooks are dirt cheap (like $10 shipped) if you don't have to buy a particular (new) edition and don't care if it's used.

What's a good book for the required math classes for the CS degree?
It's great that you want to get a TESU BACS and taking the extra courses in CS/Math to learn the two subjects more. My recommendation is, why not add an ASNSM Math to your degree list since it's FREE if you graduate at the same time. For the BACS, you have 17-20 credits for general education free elective courses, you can use those for the extra math classes. You also have 27 FREE electives that can be anything, so I would recommend taking more Comp Sci courses at the lower and upper level offered by Study.com, not only the Comp Sci but the CIS courses as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • gamebradie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 256 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 213 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 354 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,142 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 975 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,222 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,078 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane