Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any ACE grad classes?
(09-07-2020, 11:48 AM)tjguitar85 Wrote:
Quote:Also, failing an OA is a big deal and will end your ability to accelerate. Any time you fail an exam the teachers are required to create a mandatory study plan for you that will include a lot of extra reading, quizzes, and other prep material that will generally take you 1-2 weeks to complete. If you fail again, the amount of work increases. After a fourth failure, the only way you can get a retest is with permission from the Dean of the college you're in. If you fail again, you're done and won't be able to complete that degree program

I've joined some of the Facebook groups and people have mentioned taking the re-take the following day, so there seems to be some leeway:

This is how one student explained it:

Quote:I failed by a small margin and I was able to complete the portion of the study guide I needed to within hours of receiving it and took a little test and felt ready. It was also the last 2 weeks of my term and I told them I needed to get it done ASAP. Remember, you pay for this. Be your own advocate and express your needs.

For every positive story like the one you quote above I am sure I can find several posts where people are complaining about how they got stuck with a retest plan that took them a week or more to complete.

What I quoted above is the standard policy, but the retest requirements are determined by a course instructor. When you fail an exam, you're required to set up an appointment with a CI. During that conversation, the CI will determine what they feel you need to do in order to successfully complete the exam. If you can convince them that you know the material and only missed the cut score by a question or two because you were having a bad day, they may be lenient and allow you to retake it immediately. On the other hand, they may also feel that you need more instruction anyway, especially if the cut score is like 65 or something.

Either way, my point is that you don't want to just aim for the cut score, you want to do well enough that you are (1) learning the material (since it will come back up during the capstone) and (2) you give yourself enough buffer room on the exam that you're not at risk of potentially failing the exam to avoid a retest plan. I have seen multiple posts on Facebook and Reddit forums from people who ended up being forced to pay for an additional term because they were derailed by a failed OA.

In any case, I always worry more about OA's than I do about PA's since OA's have more of an impact on your ability to complete a degree and the time it takes to do so. So I always make sure I have a solid grasp of the OA material.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,284 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,409 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,432 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 554 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 5,975 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
Exclamation Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera??? Randyb100 30 4,651 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  40 Low GPA Grad Schools & Advice to Help You Get In LevelUP 8 1,339 11-08-2022, 11:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone