Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any ACE grad classes?
UofP is NA so getting those grad credits transferred to a RA school is going to be very challenging. When colleges say they accept grad transfer credit, typically they mean you started off in a program at one school didn't like it, want to change majors, needed a break, life happened, etc and they will potentially transfer some of your courses from that college. Just because they say they accept up to x number of grad credits doesn't mean they will accept any into your program at their school. For instance if you went from a MS in IT to a MBA you probably won't have anything that will transfer. Transferring credits in grad programs is much more difficult because they are so focused and short. They aren't filled with the gen ed fluff.
Yeah, I think the UofP is also not accredited by the one business association that tends to accredit MBA courses separately from RA/NA, so I don't think it counts for becoming a CPA or a few other certifications I believe? Forget which association it is.
Hey guys, I just found this self-paced online course from ACUE:

https://acue.org/?acue_courses=designing...ses-online

Its tuition is $600. Anyone can enroll. Upon completion of the course, you'll get 3 graduate-level ACE credits.

More info can be found on ACE website:
http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...CE=1009022
I specifically mentioned UoPeople because Walden accepts their credits, and accepts qualifying courses from any CHEA accredited school. I simply realized the connection and asked Walden which classes would work towards my degree prior to starting classes.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(08-25-2020, 09:43 PM)Drakemoore Wrote: Think the original poster isn't asking to transfer into a degree program so I'm not quite sure why all of the responses are about programs specifically. They're probably talking about the fact that community colleges can sometimes let degree holders of different majors teach if they have a certain number of graduate credits in a specific major. This also applies for jobs like teaching high topics where a certain amount of undergrad/graduate credits in a particular field will qualify you in some states as long as you have a bachelors degree or higher in another field.

Nah, it's just for federal government jobs, because my undergrad is not in something business related, there are jobs that require an undergrad in business, but I could also qualify for certain jobs by having 1 year (or 18 credits) in graduate level courses instead.

I think I will give WGU a shot. While I don't think WGU will be as easy as all the ACE/NCCRS credits I racked up, enough people seem to have done it within 1 term that it should be doable, especially with the pandemic shutting down all the hobbies.

I had a transcript evaluation at TESU that had everything transferred in except the capstone for the BSBA in Accounting, but I never got around to doing the capstone - a BSBA doesn't really do anything for me, and when you consider the residency waiver and everything else, the MBA would not be much more expensive if completed in 1 term and having a MBA degree would qualify me for even more federal jobs than the "18 graduate-level business credits" would.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tjguitar85's post:
  • rachel83az
Follow up: I decided to do WGU, but I'm wondering if I've made a mistake to not consider Unviersity of the People. For my purposes, I don't think it would matter if RA or NA as long as the US Departmnet of Education recognizes the accreditation.

I suppose maybe WGU will go faster because half the courses are exam-based.
(09-05-2020, 11:02 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: Follow up: I decided to do WGU, but I'm wondering if I've made a mistake to not consider Unviersity of the People. For my purposes, I don't think it would matter if RA or NA as long as the US Departmnet of Education recognizes the accreditation.

I suppose maybe WGU will go faster because half the courses are exam-based.

Yes, USDOE recognition is the minimum bar for any legitimate degree in the US, but don't underestimate the value of an RA degree. You never know what you may want to do down the line. For example, if you decide you want to pursue grad school, having an NA degree will limit your options a lot. It doesn't make things impossible, but you will find fewer schools will recognize your degree to meet entrance requirements.

As for exams going faster... in my opinion it takes at least as long to complete a PA course (papers, projects, presentations) as an OA course (exams) at WGU. While taking an exam usually takes less time than writing a paper, the diversity of study that is required to prepare for an OA (considering you can never be certain what will be covered on the exam) will take longer than the prep needed for the PA (since you are often writing while studying).

In my case, I found that I was able to complete most of my PA-based courses in less time than it took me to complete my OA-based courses (significantly less in a few cases). There were a few exceptions. like the capstone and a couple of others, but this held true for the majority.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Quote:As for exams going faster... in my opinion it takes at least as long to complete a PA course (papers, projects, presentations) as an OA course (exams) at WGU. While taking an exam usually takes less time than writing a paper, the diversity of study that is required to prepare for an OA (considering you can never be certain what will be covered on the exam) will take longer than the prep needed for the PA (since you are often writing while studying).

In my case, I found that I was able to complete most of my PA-based courses in less time than it took me to complete my OA-based courses (significantly less in a few cases). There were a few exceptions. like the capstone and a couple of others, but this held true for the majority.

I've read that "competent" for a lot of these OAs is in the low to mid 60s, which seems a lot less stressful to prepare for than writing an extensive paper which could come back for revisions, but obviously if you fail the OA, you need to go back and study all over again. I obviously haven't taken one yet, so I don't know how I will do.

I'm not sure what to expect, I found it very easy to pass SDC/OnlineDegree/Davar/Saylor courses in a weekend, I passed the Financial Accounting CLEP after a few days of watching the Modern States Lectures, though I did fail one of the econ CLEPs by a few points.
(09-06-2020, 08:40 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I've read that "competent" for a lot of these OAs is in the low to mid 60s, which seems a lot less stressful to prepare for than writing an extensive paper which could come back for revisions, but obviously if you fail the OA, you need to go back and study all over again. I obviously haven't taken one yet, so I don't know how I will do.

The minimum passing score is called the "cut score" and varies by course. Typical ranges are between the mid 60s and low 80s. The variation is based on a grading curve to keep the average passing % about the same. As such, harder exams have a lower cut score than easier ones. That said, don't expect any of the exams to really be that easy since like every exam, they like to throw curveball questions at you now and then. Also, don't expect the pre-assessment to cover all the same material, or even align closely with the final exam. That is why I don't recommend that people use pre-assessments to prepare for taking the actual OA. Use it after you're done studying and feel ready to take the final exam to help you gauge if you're ready to take the exam or not.

Also, failing an OA is a big deal and will end your ability to accelerate. Any time you fail an exam the teachers are required to create a mandatory study plan for you that will include a lot of extra reading, quizzes, and other prep material that will generally take you 1-2 weeks to complete. If you fail again, the amount of work increases. After a fourth failure, the only way you can get a retest is with permission from the Dean of the college you're in. If you fail again, you're done and won't be able to complete that degree program.

So take OA's way more seriously than PA's. You can resubmit a PA forever, but you only get a set number of tries at an OA. They also start charging you for OA retests after the 2nd failure.

(09-06-2020, 08:40 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I'm not sure what to expect, I found it very easy to pass SDC/OnlineDegree/Davar/Saylor courses in a weekend, I passed the Financial Accounting CLEP after a few days of watching the Modern States Lectures, though I did fail one of the econ CLEPs by a few points.

When studying stuff you're not very familiar with and putting in 60+ hours per week (8 hours per weekday and 10 hours per weekend day) into studying, most accelerators appear to be able to average one course per week at the undergrad level. If you're more familiar or put in more time, you can compress that schedule. Likewise, having a job and family commitments can extend it.

So your ability to accelerate all depends on how much knowledge you have going into a course and how much time and dedication you have to pursue studying.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Quote:Also, failing an OA is a big deal and will end your ability to accelerate. Any time you fail an exam the teachers are required to create a mandatory study plan for you that will include a lot of extra reading, quizzes, and other prep material that will generally take you 1-2 weeks to complete. If you fail again, the amount of work increases. After a fourth failure, the only way you can get a retest is with permission from the Dean of the college you're in. If you fail again, you're done and won't be able to complete that degree program

I've joined some of the Facebook groups and people have mentioned taking the re-take the following day, so there seems to be some leeway:

This is how one student explained it:

Quote:I failed by a small margin and I was able to complete the portion of the study guide I needed to within hours of receiving it and took a little test and felt ready. It was also the last 2 weeks of my term and I told them I needed to get it done ASAP. Remember, you pay for this. Be your own advocate and express your needs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 185 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,561 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,444 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,104 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 971 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,512 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,131 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 567 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 6,043 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
Exclamation Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera??? Randyb100 30 4,795 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP